Weird tiny electric zap-like pains in finger after consult, scared what do I do?

HI just went to a place in Portland downtown for a consult with a lady named Irina. Normally at my old place before I moved (I went to her for 7 years) she did shortwave only, and there’s just a quick burning feeling then she pulls out a hair. This lady, was very hard to understand her English, but I did my best, figured if she’s in business she must be doing ok. She said she used insulated probes. (not sure if she def used that kind on me) :confounded::confounded:
:exploding_head:
She had a different machine that said Pico flash or Pico something (i forget) and she had me hold this little thing in my left hand, and I told her I wanted to do my hands/fingers, so she did my right pinky and ring finger a few. Then used some kind of little roller that she said put aloe on it (but still hooked up to this machine, not sure why) to soothe it. It felt different like a few little zaps with pauses in between, instead of my last lady where it was a constant burning for a second, then over. she did a few hairs, I thought it’d help me see if I want to go with her. But it really felt like tweezing when she pulled out the hairs, so I listened to the advice here and I don’t want to use her I decided.

NOW Ive def decided no! I was just watching TV relaxing, and I felt this weird little electricity-like zap feeling at the very end tip of the pinky where she tested doing the knuckle hairs!

It happened just now several times again. Every few minutes the zapping feeling comes again.
My question… has anyone heard of this happening? Anyone know how or why it could?

UPDATE: Next day… I’m relieved it’s stopped, not freaking out anymore. It felt like almost, a shadow of the treatment yesterday, extremely similar zap feeling but in the very end of my pinky not the knuckle where she did it. The feeling would come once a second for a few seconds, then again like 5-10 min later, from around 6-9pm, and today its gone. It was so bizarre and creepy. Don’t know what to think. Hoping someone has any insight, or maybe someone reading this later if nobody else has any constructive thoughts right now.

Are you saying you plugged an electrical cord into a socket, felt a “zap.” and believe this is related to your electrolysis treatment?

Seriously, chill out, you’re panicking over nothing.

If you felt tweezing, definitely find another electrologist and continue treatments. You’re lucky to be in a country with so many fantastic electrologists, so take your pick. If you’re going to freak out, I would stick with shaving.

Chill out, its nothing? So do you mean its normal and common to feel little electricity zaps hours after an electrolysis treatment when you’re relaxing at home? :thinking:

Based on your comments about the tweezing sensation during electrolysis, I recommend you find another electrologist. On the issue of electrolysis and the lamps, how do you believe these incidents are connected? Am I correct to assume these incidents occurred at different times and miles apart? Have you considered that you might have experienced an electrical shock from the lamp cord?

You are overreacting and connecting these two incidents (electrolysis & lamp) that occurred at different times in different locations because you do not understand the basic relationship between cause and effect. I’ve tried to step you through it in a logical fashion to show how these two incidents are unrelated, but you fail to grasp it. I also believe you have a poor understanding of electrolysis. I am not sure if this is due to a bad consultation or your inability to understand the procedure. For these reasons, I think you would be an unhappy client. When a client believes unrelated forces outside of the electrolysis office are connected to the treatment site, accusations begin to fly, relationships break down and the consequences are frequently disastrous. It is my opinion that your present state would not be conducive to a positive outcome

I clarified my original post, so you wouldn’t keep mistaking my simple question I reiterated for you. Also I was entitled to be freaked out and entitled to feel what I felt at the time, thanks.

As someone whos read this forum on and off for 15 yrs, gone to 3 electrologists over 9 years who did things 1 similar way, and went to someone in another region doing things in a different, strange way, and me having a bizarre side effect… I am not dumb as you keep inferring that I am. I don’t know if you’re intending to add something helpful, but you’re only coming off very patronizing. Just let others respond if you dislike my post, you don’t have to keep returning… I normally respect this forum a lot

I do not dislike your posts. I do however find your responses confusing and irrational at best. For these reasons I do not believe you will not find the answers you are looking for on this forum.

Thanks for continuing to reply on my post to call me irrational and not add anything helpful. I’ve gotten answers on this forum for 15 years, so I’m gonna continue to consult it as not everyone is mean here.

:slightly_smiling_face: :pray:
If any other people are reading this later on and have a theory on this, feel free to add your thoughts.

I don’t think it’ll happen again but I’m still extremely curious how it could’ve at all, with the logical scientific mind that I have, strange things with no explanation really confound me and I try to search anywhere I can for explanations! :woman_shrugging:

Well first I want to say, all of this is pretty normal. I do agree with your decision to seek another practitioner for one reason and one reason only: You felt plucking. The hairs should release easily .
Those somewhat critical or defensive seem to be saying your seem a bit anxious and paranoid about electrolysis. So let me address some of what you talked about.
It’s clear from your post that the electrologist was either using a blended current, or was using the automatic function on their epilator . Both of these will supply a mild Direct current which you may percieve as a tingling ( not quite a shock). This sensation is normal and not in any wway a concern but the brain, combined with anxiety from being new to electrolysis, conjures up all kinds of unreasonable explanations for this sensation. Again, this is not uncommon. But it speaks highly to your anxious mindset, and in general, anxiety aboout the process will not serve you well. as you go through electrolysis,it tends to increase perception of discomfort.
The process with the roller is called Cataphoresis and it is also a DC current but with the polarity reversed. It is, as you stated designed to sooth iinflamation. If this wasnt explained to you during the consultation process or procedure, I can understand some anxiety about this unknown process. That said however, neither cataphoresis, blended currents, nor use of the automatic function on the epilator will in any way cause you any permanent harm.
The others are correct, anxiety is not good for you following through the process. The best way to overcome this anxiety is to ask questions about what is or is not normal.

TL;DR ( too long didnt read) Plucking Bad! Find another operator. Perception of DC currents, meh, but alarming if you didnt know what it is or what to expect.

2 Likes