Waxing vs. Epilator (for those who've done both)

I’m a guy. I’ve been removing my pubic hair for a while (10 years). I do it because I like how it feels, I like how it looks, and I think it prevents odors after a long day – though I’ve read arguments either way. I shaved for a while and I recently tried waxing for a few months. I waxed myself with the Surgi-Wax Brazilian wax kit. When I waxed I made sure I followed the directions, but I still ended up with ingrown hairs and bumps. I had 5 or so seriously ingrown hairs per waxing, and a lot of hairs that had trouble breaking the surface of the skin (20 or 30) that I needed to help out with tweezers. I applied Tend-Skin and I exfoliated daily. The ingrown hairs usually took about 3 weeks to be able to get out with tweezers and left a red spot for another week, and a dark blemish on the skin for another three weeks or so. Not cool. In the end I decided that shaving every day and dealing with stubble looked / felt / made me feel better than waxing and having ingrown hairs, red bumps, and blemishes.

I want something longer-lasting than waxing, but with fewer ingrown hairs.

Judging from the length of most of the problem hairs, I think the problem hairs were broken instead of pulled out. I’m thinking of buying a rotary epilator in the hopes that it will result in fewer broken hairs, fewer red bumps, and fewer ingrown hairs.

I have light-ish skin with thick, dark hair. The hair is normally pretty dense, but since I waxed for a while, it’s a bit sparser than normal. I’d say that now it’s average density.

So, here’s my question for ladies and gentlemen who have removed their pubic hair both via waxing and epilation for more than a few uses: Does epilation result in fewer broken hairs / bumps / ingrown hairs than waxing?

• EmB

Hi EMB,

Maybe your question should be - does epilation results better than shaving? (not sure though)

AFAIK, Epilation means removal of hair by the roots and waxing plucking or threading is also regarded as methods of epilation and that rotary epilator machine is also one kind of epilation. Some says that it is just a high-tech form of waxing or sugaring. If we’ll talk about convenience - I’ll give rotary epilator +1 because it’s not messy to use and you can easily bring it anywhere you go. :slight_smile:

So as for your question - Both techniques can result in undesirable results when used improperly. It can break the hair, can cause inflammation etc. if you don’t follow exact directions… but on the other hand it is a good option for those who want to remove unwanted body hair. You just have to use it with caution.

Just some tips for you to prevent bumps or to prevent ingrown hairs. Exfoliate regularly as this removes the old layer of skin that prevents the incoming hair from penetrating the skin surface. There are lots of exfoliators available either natural exfoliators such as salt and sugar or the ready-to-use products that you can buy in stores. I also would like to remind you to not use heavy creams or lotions immediately after epilation because this can clog pores that results to ingrown hairs or if you really are prone to ingrown hairs you may want to consider permanent hair removal like electrolysis or laser.

I found a link about the hair rotary product at hair facts page, you may want to take a look. http://www.hairfacts.com/methods/rotary-epilator-hair-removal-devices/