waxing vellus hair

hi all, I just had a question. Does waxing vellus hair make it grow back thicker? Your answers would be much appreciated.

Depends on the body area I guess. I wouldn’t wax my face or my chest.

Waxing vellus hair is not recommended. Any kind of stimulation of blood flow can “activate” follicles and produce terminal hairs vs. vellus hairs. It has been seen numerous times. Have you ever known or heard of someone who had to wear a cast, for instance? The cast rubs on the skin for months and when it’s removed there is accelerated hair growth in that area. That is only one example but there are many others.

This is not to say that waxing vellus hair ALWAYS results in accelerated terminal hair growth, but it is ALWAYS a risk.

Hi, I am still trying to deal with this issue of dark vellus hair on my face. What would you recommend doing to remove these hairs. Shaving the hair? Will the hair turn into stubble? Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Yes, the hairs would lose their natural tapered ends, appear more stubble like, would require continuous maintenance, and most likely, you would become unhappy about this over time. This is a big decision. I would recomend having electrolysis, and if this is something that you can not easily affoard to do, then consider doing it very slowly. Have, perhaps 30 minutes monthly or bi monthly. At least this way, one day you will be happy and with every treatment, you will see a positive change. Scattering the treatment evenly would produce a natural appearance. When having vellus hairs treated,I highly recomend having several trials, to find the most efficient practitioner in your locality.

Regarding the waxing of vellus hairs: I don’t recommend it, but if there are no hormonal problems AND/OR if your skin does not have the enzyme that causes normal hormones to make hairs become coarsened - then waxing can be an okay solution. (There is no test for that enzyme thing.) With waxing you are taking a chance that there are no “hair-growing” factors in your skin.

Regarding shaving of vellus hairs: Shaving will make those little hairs feel coarsened, but it is only because all of the hair has been cut to blunt, and is not a real coarsening of the hair. Accelerated hair growth comes from within the follicle, not at the surface.

Regarding bleaching: Might be a solution for you if your skin is fair. Bleached hair on tanned skin is just as noticeable as dark hair on fair skin.

Regarding electrolysis on vellus hair: What you will look for when sampling different electrologists is “Kelly’s Golden Three”. No sensation of insertion; No sensation of tweezing; and No sound of sizzling bacon in between. I will add that while you “might” see a little tiny scab in the treated area, there should not be many, they shouldn’t be very large in diameter, and they should disappear within days of the treatment. Anything lasting longer means that you select a different electrologist.

Hi all, thanks for your responses. I have tried to have electrolysis On the area but there are so many hairs there, that you see no progress… And I had a year worth of electrolysis… I am considering waxing and if the hairs turn terminal, will they be able to be treated by laser? This is seeming like my best option. Also in regards to hormones which will make the skin change, what are the indicators that you have them? Any answers would be much appreciated…Ps: I was just wondering about all those comments about vellus hair not growing back thicker?? If I shave it and it does not grow back thicker, how will the hair create a stubble affect??

Did you have all of your treatments with only one practitioner? Would there be any possibility of posting a photograph?

I will try and post a picture, as I don’t have a good camera. The vellus hairs are on my forehead, which are dark. Will this hair still go stubbly, if I shave them. I thought they are different then the hair around the jaw line… Will try and get a pick up soon… And sorry, yes I did have treatments from 2 electrolysis. Which had really nO progress. The 3rd electrolysis I went to recommended alkaline Wash (danne king) cause she said she could do as much electrolysis on the forehead. But vellus hair in that area never stops growing. Any help would be much appreciated…

In skilled hands ,this would be a very easy task to clear permanently, as these are very weak hairs,most would not reappear after a single treatment. However, a great deal of skill is required, to efficiently treat vellus hairs. I honestly beleive that you have had treatment from lesser skilled practitioners, and think the solution lies with looking further afield for someone more competent, who will not be intimmidated by such tiny hairs. Are there more electrologists in your area?

Vellus hair anywhere can be treated with electrolysis, even the forehead. Go to an electrologist with good vision aids. I attack these hairs using PicoFlash thermolysis. Goes quickly and is highly effective, but other modalities work, too.

You have got to go for regular appointments, spaced correctly, that last more than 15 minutes. What was your schedule like with your two electrologists?