Waxing tips

Waxing at home can be messy and painful if not done in the proper way.

Do not wax if you are sunburned or are using Retin-A or alpha-hydroxy acids. There’s a chance you may take off a layer of skin with the hair.

First, clean your skin with a cotton ball soaked in witch hazel or some other astringent.

I don’t advise this, but some recommend applying oil before starting. I recommend a light dusting of baby powder. This will help prevent wax from sticking to skin. I think the oil makes the wax stick to hair less.

Test the temperature of the wax on your inside wrist. The consistency should be like honey.

Apply wax in an even thickness with slightly rounded fuller edges.

Always apply wax against the direction of hair growth, then before wax sets, redirect in the direction of hair. This helps manipulate the hair into the wax.

Do not leave wax on too long-it should be soft, not tacky. If it becomes dry and brittle, reapply over the area to allow for a smooth removal.

When applying the stips, smooth it onto the skin in the direction of hair growth, lightly the first time, then with firm smooth strokes in the direction of the hair, like petting an animal. Don’t go against the hair direction.

To remove wax, flick the lower part of the wax strip upwards and pull off against the direction. When you pull on the wax, pull parallel and low to the body. Never pull straight up.

Immediately after removing a strip of wax, gentle rubbing or hand pressure will soothe the area.

To complete the treatment, apply a light lotion or oil to the skin.

It is recommended you don’t wax three days prior to and during the first three days of your menstrual cycle because your skin is more sensitive then.

For bikini waxing, trim long hair and it will be a more comfortable procedure (less hair to pull).