waxing, then epilating

hi! i’m first time here… i’ve been waxing my underarms for about 9 months, but don’t see any good results. I’m thinking about switching to epilating (considering in buying Philip’s Satinelle Ice). I want to ask if epilating hurts a lot the first time if i’ve been waxing before, and how long will it take the hair to grow back out? I have thick, stubborn underarm hair (that’s why waxing doesn’t give me good results, for some of the hair wouldn’t come off). thanks!

Well, I’m a guy who recently bought a Braun Silk Epil 5270 and I do my whole body including my armpits and it works pretty good under there. But be warned, the first time you epilate ANY area with full stubble (like after a shave) will hurt quite a bit, because there’s just so much hair there that the epilator grabs. But after you have epilated clean, the only hairs that grow afterwards are stray hairs in different growth cycles, so getting those is no big deal.

The good thing about epilators is that they’ll get hair that is relatively very short. The 5270 advertises that it can grab hairs as short as .5mm which is just barely above the skin, to be honest. Mine constantly grabs hairs that I can’t even see.

One thing to note about doing the armpits. Don’t do the area on the back side of the armpit (on the outside of your arm) adjacent to your shoulderblade. I did this one and thought the epilator was grabbing a bunch of long hairs that I missed before, but what it was doing was grabbing my skin and causing below the skin blisters. (Red blood marks in streaks.) I didn’t realize it until I looked in the mirror.

Anyway, once you epilate and get all growth cycles (usually within a week or so) the only hairs you’ll be seeing afterwards is the occassional hairs that grow up from the hair growth cycles that you epilated weeks before. They’re easier to get, and once you get them, they’re gone for several more weeks.