Waxing Causing Skin Tags - This is pretty scary

I’ve recently begun to wax my underarms. I noticed that I started forming skin tags/growths. They are thin pieces of skin protruding from the surface. I didn’t really know why they were forming… until now!

I waxed again a week ago and the hair on my underarms was starting to grow back again. I wanted to help some of the hairs break out of the skin’s surface to minimize ingrown hairs. As I did this, I noticed that there was a little pus around the hair. I pulled the hair out and used tweezers to press around the pore area. I wiped off the pus. I continued squeezing, until I realized that what was coming out was no longer pus, but actual skin. The pore inverted and became a skin tag!

I tested this on two more pores and the exact same thing happened.

I am convinced that when I wax, I pull the hair out and that causes the skin to invert as it is being dragged by the hair. This causes permanent protrusions of skin.

Has anyone else had this experience or know anything about it???

It sounds like it’s just the stuff that’s inside the pores. It’s pretty normal.

I would highly recommend for you to look into laser hair removal. You can get rid of this hair permanently for about $300 total, i.e. at $50 per treatment for 6 spaced every 2-3 months.

GET YOUR UNDERAMS LASED!!! Finish up with electrolysis. You will live happily ever after, forever and ever. This is a no brainer, unless you have blond, red or gray hair on your underarms.

hi mildra,

it doesn’t sound like the waxing is causing the skin tags, but what you may be doing afterwards. we have a ton of aftercare tips that can help prevent ingrowns and infections (since removing the hair from the root leaves it susceptible to germs) so you can enjoy your hairless underarms rather than worrying about the aftermath. and at the very least, please don’t pick your ingrowns it can cause scarring and lead to possible infection (like squeezing a pimple).

for hair removal aftercare tips, go to: http://myshobha.com/myshobha/myshobha_pages/tips.html