Wanted to make sure this is Post inflammatory Hyperpigmentation

Hi, I am an 18 year old Indian with PCOD, I have coarse beard hair, I have been waxing for years now and I have been getting thermolysis done since the end of June 2022, I think I have been to 8 or 9 sessions so far, initially, I went in once every 3 weeks, and the session lasted about 1.5 hours (sidelocks, chin and beard), lately, I have been going for sessions every 2 weeks, and it lasted about an hour; now it’s even lesser as my sidelocks and chin is starting to clear up (she says I only need 5-6 more sessions for them). The scabbing is very light, mostly only on the chin and barely noticeable to the naked eye and usually goes away. The issue here is the way my underchin looks… scary? I am not sure if it is just ingrown hair, scarring from ingrown and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I have watched Michael sir’s video on PIH but I am not sure if this is the same.
If any expert could confirm that it is normal and will heal or if I need to be concerned.
Below attached is an image taken with the flash on 6 days since the treatment
P.S. I asked her to only work on the dark, coarse hair for now, that is why the long fine hair.

There may be some scarring. There is some hyperpigmentation, which is temporary and will fade over time. This is not the result of the electrolysis treatment, but inflamation from ingrown hairs that are the result of your years of plucking and waxing.These hairs that you have been “waxing for years” have become ingrown and cause considerable inflamation of the skin. Without inflation there is no healing of the skin, and that hyperpigmentation is a result of that inflamation, from damage created by the growing and trapped ingrown hairs.
The solution is to kill those hair follicles. It will take time.There may be more scarring that can occur as the electrologist has no choice but to manually extract those ingrown hairs, causing further disruption of the skin.
I’ve treated many faces just like yours ( my city has a descent sized Indian community/populace) .This is beatable The solution, is to kill the hairs. And for the love of all that you hold dear, do not do laser of any kind on your skin. The results would be disastrous.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response! So I can continue with this particular electrologist, right? Also, the scarring that you mention, will this be permanent scarring with no healing whatsoever or can I expect my skin to recover within a few moths to a year after I am done with the treatment?

You have a lot of ingrown hairs which will slow down your electrolysis treatments. Have patience with the process. It will look worse at first when they have to be extracted and treated but once it heals, you’ll never have this problem again.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This puts my mind at such ease.

From old Uncle Michael (who made the video) … yes, this is beautiful and glorious PIH … Other stuff going on but I’m counting on this ALL resolving and leaving you will perfect skin.

1 Like