Visible Hair

Does anyone have information on what percent of hair is visible at any given time. I am an electrologist and am getting inconsistent information. I would like to know the facts to better plan treatment and educate clients. Help!

The number is not consistent. It is variable based on part of the body and time of the year and can range from 20% to 80% at any given time.

Is there more hair in the summer or winter? I think I heard that there was more in the summer, because the sun stimulates hair growth.

And no, I am not giving up my suntanning! I just cut back on it a little bit.

RJC2001

Yes, up to 80% of your hair is in growing phase during the summer due to many factors. In Winter, a larger percent of hair is in shedding, or resting phase.

You don’t have to give up tanning if you are having electrolysis, you just have to avoid it the day before, so you don’t dehydrate your skin, and three days after so you don’t get freckles in the treated area.

Yes, up to 80% of your hair is in growing phase during the summer due to many factors. In Winter, a larger percent of hair is in shedding, or resting phase.

You don’t have to give up tanning if you are having electrolysis, you just have to avoid it the day before, so you don’t dehydrate your skin, and three days after so you don’t get freckles in the treated area.

I always wondered about that. Just when we don’t want it, in the hot weather, that’s when it grows wild!

That’s a huge plus for electrolysis. I have had no problems at all getting electrolysis while tanning. And I’ve never had trouble with freckles.

RJC2001