Very fine hair everywhere, electrolysis or not

I have fine, short , but dark and visible hair on my stomach. and also breasts.
Stomach - I have attached the pic
Breasts- short, completely dark and very smooth that i can just pluck them out without applying force or feeling anything.
My concerns:

1. Will electrolysis work on breasts, given that my hair roots appear to be very shallow. I worry I will scar my skin unnecessarily. (refer pic)
  2. COST:
    Since stomach is a larger area to treat, I was considering learning electrolysis myself and buying a machine , and then training my mother or sister to clear me of hair, BUT, if my fine hair can be handled in one session unlike coarse hair which need multiple attempts at the same follicle, maybe the cost will be lesser if i just get it done professionally, even though the area is large. So, please advise if fine hair are easier to get rid of ( refer to the pic)

@Iluv2zap
Please advise

@Hairadicator @Deedra
Please advise

Mike Bono passed away on December 27, 2022

I am very sorry to hear that

@Hairadicator
What would be your advise.

I advise you to find someone with experience removing this type of hair with electrolysis.

Here is a better picture . Please do advise

Electrolysis works on any type of hair and can be done without causing scarring if the electrologist is experienced.

If the electrologist is operating correctly, one follicle only needs to be treated once. However, due to hair growth cycles, you will never be able to achieve complete permanent removal within one session. This is true of any area of the body and any hair. You can expect to do multiple sessions over a period of 12 to 18 months - you’ll need to discuss the details in a consult with an electrologist.

My advice is to consult with a few electrologists to understand the commitment in terms of time and money. It may not be the best option for you.

In that case, What would be the best option for me?

Temporary hair removal like waxing, sugaring, shaving.

I do wax…but I get ingrows, and also very slight pih ( I think). And waxing breasts also makes me feel low… I was wondering if I should get electrolysis now, since i am in my 20s and maybe would heal better. Cant electrolysis handle the fine hair without scarring?

I’ve been avoiding answering this topic, because honestly I thought there were those who specialize in such hair who might give better answers ( specifically thinking of Dee who loves to do fine hair and is VERY good at it!)

I’m going to respectfully agree with part of Thermo’s advice, and also disagree with the conclusion partially.

I’m in agreeance that not all hairs are growing and visible at any point in time. Electrolysis on this type of hair is a long term committment and yes, is going to get costly over such a large area. There is not a lot of concern for things like scarring in my opinion, especially with finer more shallow hair which often requires less energy to destroy than thicker courser hair. . If you are looking to completely remove all such hair, it will necessitate treatments over AT LEAST 18 months , and that is assuming you are getting enough electrolysis to remove all of the bothersome hair at least once during each growth cycle period ( 3-5 months). This can be a challenge in terms of tolerance, but also cost over time.
When it comes to temporary relief, I’m generally not in favour of plucking waxing or threading these fine hairs for several key reasons:
1 Any method that pulls the hair out by the root runs the risk of stimulating fine hair int courser more bothersome hairs over time.This is due to damage caused to the dermal papillae which regenerates and provides a better blood supply to the newly growing hair
2 WAxing and threading can lead to ingrowns which often require manual extraction with a hyperdermic needle, wthe process of which can cause permanent scarring if not performed extremely expertly.
3 Every time you wax or pluck , you are leaving wound collogen ( scar tissue) in the follicle, and when this is repeated over time it can lead to skin surface irregularities in the form of small bumps. This is known as “pebbling” and is a permanent form of scar creation.

I DO NOT have the same concerns about shaving the hairs which can have some temprary relief. It does not affect the hair growth at all and simply cuts the hair at the surface.
Finally, all of these methods are costly over time, and tsince they are temporary methods they require regular maintenance andd retreatment, forever. So these costs never decrease, and are ongoing… most places I know charge in the neibourhood of $80+ to wax your legs just once. This is where electrolysis actually gives you a better bang for your buck.Because electrolysis results are permanent when performed competently, you are actually reducing the amount of total electrolysis that must be performed at a later date to destroy the hair.

So my recommendation would be as follows:
Shave the hairs as temporary relief, but rather than spending money on either supplies or salon treatments for waxing, use that money instead to have shorter electrolysis sessions and remove thae hair permanently over time with electrolysis. You WILL NOT be able to do it in 18 months, however you will over time see a gradual improvement until you have a result you can live with day to day without the necessity to shave them.

1 Like

Thank you thank you sooooo much for writing a clear reply. I am so very grateful. I understand my hair better now.

@Deedra
Do give your advise as well.

And also, I think becoming a professional myself and buying a machine would reduce the costs and accelerate the process too. Am I wrong?

Well, it’s what I did, but honestly it’s not a route I can recommend for most people here. So it’s possible. That said, it was a sharp learning curve. I recommend looking at the “DIY electrolysis is risky and difficult” thread posted and stickied in out DIY section and heeding it’s advice. There’s a lot of learning involved before you ever stick a needle in a single follicle to treat it on yourself. What I did was very much an act of desperation and financial necessity ( picture single parent, cognitively disabled child, and ZERO income whatsoever) . It’s not a route I recommend for everyone. For every 1 person that succeeds with this route there are many hundreds more who try and give up or fail, after spending many hundreds or thousands of dollars on equipment. So no, honestly I dont recommend most consumers try DIY to save money.IF there is some serious underlying factor driving them , such as my case, then they MIGHT succeed if they are diligent enough, but most do not have it in them.There are some areas that are not treatable on yourself, which the more you learn the more you will come to understand.

The abdomen is a larger area to treat, but the amount of hair in this area is less than a fuzzy FACE.

No big deal to treat these hairs IF you have an electrologist that will work toward getting a full clearance as soon as possible, using thermolysis ( the kind that is less than a second per hair). Insertions must be perfect. Hair must slide out. Electrologist must have vision equipment to do this quickly and carefully.

You may have temporary skin manifestations afterwards - redness and some hyperpigmentation, but they will fade away beautifully.

If you don’t have all these main ingredients clicking in harmony together, it will be frustrating and more expensive for you. We need more well-schooled electrologists worldwide. It’s a wonderful profession and it is a service that is highly needed because there is a hairy person born every minute. Electrolysis is where laser consumers run to when laser has done all it can do or if laser is not suitable for fine hair like you have.

1 Like