Using Spiro: when to start laser treatments?

Hello everyone. I just started taking Spiro a couple of weeks ago (I took only 25 mg/day for the first week to try to reduce side effects; I’ve now moved up to 50 mg/day and so far I’m feeling fine).

My question is this: How long should I wait before starting laser hair removal? Any info. you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.

An electrologist recommended that I wait about 6 months after starting hormonal therapy to begin body work. You will probably end up needing way less hair removal (On your body) then you expect. I know that when I was on spiro, one day I looked down and noticed that I had about half of the leg and arm hair that I started off with. Good luck!

Thanks for your response, werenotafraid. Although I really don’t want to wait that long, maybe it would be a good idea.

So if I can ask you another question: Did the Spiro help reduce the hair in other areas, such as your chest and back? About how long did it take for you to start seeing results?

Thanks again,

Melissa

Hi merrymelissa-- body hair reduction from androgen blockers is extremely variable, so one consumer’s experience is probably not going to match yours. Generally speaking, chest back hair seem to be most affected after a few months of use, while arms and legs are less affected.

The longer you wait, the less you’ll probably spend on body hair removal. You’ll have to decide how much you’re willing to spend, and if it’s worth it to you to start sooner than later.

Okay, I guess that means I’ll have to be patient. :frowning:

Thanks for your response Andrea.

Melissa,

Yes, my chest and back hair did begin to thin out. It looked like it was getting kind of blond and fine. Unfortunately, severe side effects forced me to quit taking the spironolactone (I was also taking Estinyl) and of course once I stopped the hair grew back worse than ever.