upper lip scars

Hi, I was scrolling through previous posts and read a lot about pits and scars not showing up until months after treatment on the upper lip and am extremely worried and anxious at the moment.

I’ve had one short test trail, one 20min and one 15min session on my upper lip and all have resulted in scabs forming the next day. Right now its been more than a month since those treatments and I have PIH and some uneven skin texture.

I was wondering if those 2 treatments are likely to cause sufficient damage for more pits, wrinkling and pleated scars to appear in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Have you discussed this with your electrologist? Do you have any before, during, and current photos to show?

My suggestions to prevent long term harmful epidermal trauma is, after treatment, apply an alcohol free witch hazel followed by some aloe vera gel and then a little neosporin cream and if not allergic to any, clients indicate that they heal very quickly.

In addition, clients who worry about PIH, who do not have oily skin, will be provided with a cold compress to reduce inflammation. This would be done before products are applied.

If you decide to go this route, let us know what happens. Also, discuss this with your electrologist because we all have our own protocol.

After all of those treatments I only applied aloe vera, I haven’t used any cold compress but I’ve changed electrologists now and she provides me with some ice after treatment.

I guess I’ll just have to wait out the PIH and uneven skin texture caused by my previous electrologist, I’m just hoping they do fade and my skin will return to normal as I only had 3 treatments (excluding trial) with my old electrologists.

But just one concern, you mention epidermal trauma, doesn’t electrolysis burn down to the dermis or sub-dermis so wouldn’t this be repeated trauma to the deeper dermis levels? If so, is it still likely for damage to the dermis to heal?

You’re correct. Scars have nothing to do with the epidermis because scar tissue cannot (ever) form in the epidermis. If you have ever “skinned your knee” from a fall, you know the epidermis grows back perfectly “like a lizard’s tail.”

Scars only take place in the dermis (heals with denser and sometimes contracting collagen “mending.”)

I have several videos on these subjects. Frustratingly, at the moment, Youtube has done a strange “category list” and it’s hard to find the right videos. Indeed, there is a video on wound contraction, but at least start with this one on PIH

thanks for linking me the video on PIH, i’ve also had a look at the video about chins, dents and scars but I haven’t been able to find one on wound contraction.

Is it possible for damage in the dermis tissue to heal without scarring?

Being VERY specific to your question, here’s the answer: when the dermis is damaged (not just bruised), scar tissue always forms … always.

Now, the question is how much and is it visible?

Yes, with EVERY PERFECT electrolysis hair removal procedure, an imperceptible thread-like “scar” is formed (every modality, every electrologist). However, even under magnification such subtle changes in the collagen layer can barely be detected.

If your question is “will visible scars take place from electrolysis?” Well, then your question is NO! Absolutely NO! Furthermore, clinically significant wound contraction is so rare (from electrolysis) that you don’t even need to ask the question.

Now to your feelings about this so far. First, you have had virtually no treatments (two short treatment) that could render any lasting effects whatsoever. My suggestion (and if you were my client I would insist upon it) … is that you wait until the manifestations you are seeing COMPLETELY resolve. I would not work on you for at least 6-months, or until you are totally and completely positive you are not getting any marks from electrolysis.

Thanks for the response Michael, it was reassuring and to the point. I’ll take your advice on board, see how everything goes and possibly consider commencing treatments again next year.

Michael I stayed up late watching many of your videos—they were amazingly helpful and reassuring to me! Thank you!

Very kind of you to say MrsV. I am planning a website to organize all these materials (including publications). This time of year is “guests from everywhere” so I have lots of planning, cooking, and UGH cleaning. I need to do many more videos (after the guests) … especially for clients.

Hi Mr Bono, I just have a question. If trauma/wounding to the dermis always leads to a scar being formed does that mean procedures like micro-needling, where multiple punctured wounds are made in the dermis will result in ‘thread like’ scars being formed across the whole face?

If so, how is it, that something like micro-needling is able to reduce the appearance of scars created by electrolysis? Wouldn’t more trauma to the dermis only make the scar bigger and more visible?