Upper Lip regrowth to short to bleach now

Hi everyone, I mainly care about my face getting treatment. However my electrogist really wanted to start removing hairs on my upper lip too. They’re dark-medium hairs. Some are thick, I always bleach and trim my upper lip. I think it hides it really well. However my electrologist just wanted to start cleaning it up so she does about 10 mins on it during my hour session. I go every two weeks.

However issue is the regrowth I have is making the hair too short to bleach and trim now.
Should I have her stop treating it? I just like to bleach and trim there.
Second question- I have been pulling hair out over the last year on my upper lip as well. It’s kind of a habit while watching TV. This was before I was getting treatment, I haven’t been pulling any hairs out anymore.
Did the regrowth of darker short hairs happen from me or from from her treating it?
Is it too late for the hair to go back to how it used to be since it’s been treated and I pulled some of them out. Did I permanently make them dark and thicker?

I just liked when they would bleach and trim well. Now they’re so short you can just see them but can’t cut/bleach them and I don’t know what to do. Thanks!!!

This is more complicated than it has to be. Just let it grow naturally and get the hairs cleared every two or three weeks. Clip or shave in between. This plan leads to no more bleaching or clipping. You will get permanent hair removal in 12-18 months. Too many people over think this and never solve the problem.

1 Like

Thanks but what should I do that the hairs grow in too short to be bleached or cut. You see the black dots.

Black dots. Get them cleared off with electrolysis or you will see the black dots forever. It might be uncomfortable for a time, until your electrologist can remove the biggest and baddest hairs. It’s a numbers game. Keep pushing forward to disable hair follicles or you will be a hamster on a wheel going nowhere for forever…

I just feel like my upper lip hair has gotten worse since she started treating it. Is that possible? They’re darker and thicker hairs and that’s not how it was before :pensive:

The first 4-6 months is the hardest.

If you feel the hair being pulled out and you are not getting close to cleared every time, every six weeks, you may become distrustful and lose hope. If your expectations are out of line with the 12-18 months it takes to successfully finish your lip, then re-evaluate your expectations.

I don’t know enough specifics, but I can generally tell you what to look for and how I approach upper lip hair. Electrologists have many pathways to get to the finish line that can work, but one principle is constant - you should not feel tweezing.

Thanks, I have a hormonal imbalance and have been going for electrolysis for 4 years then skipped a year due to covid. Now I’ve been going 1 year. Most the year was spent recleaning from the year I missed. My face is night and day compared to how my face started. I can’t tell you how wonderful electrolysis has helped me.
HOWEVER I am going to a new electrogist since my original one stopped. My new one has decades of experience. She is slower than my original though.
I go for an hour every two weeks. Starting in Feb she started branching out to my sides. My first electrologist did a strip and went down the line. This one just thins the whole area. It’s hard to tell how much is being taken off this way because she isn’t clearing an area just thinning it.
She really wanted to start on my upper lip. I didn’t really care about that area because it’s always been fine to cut and bleach. What was important to me was my sides of my face.
However she REALLY wanted to start chipping away at it.
She does about 10 mins on it.
Now the hair is darker and thicker than ever, like awful. Can’t really be bleached and cut anymore.
I don’t feel pulling.
I’m just shocked how much worse it’s gotten since she started doing it a few months ago.
I didn’t expect this. Now she has to do it because it looks so bad :pensive::pensive:
I can’t understand it. I never dreamed it would get worse from electrolysis. :weary::weary::weary:

Since you are doing no cutting or bleaching, it is possible that you are seeing what you really had the whole time and it is more visible, thus it appears worse. I would keep moving forward and discuss your concerns with her. She can see you. She is experienced. You feel no tweezing. She can reassure you. You need to go onward with the process for 12-18 months. If you don’t, you will continue to chase hair.

Electrolysis does not make the hair worse - it methodically decreases the number of hairs in an area over time, if it is performed correctly based on tried and true principles. Muster up some trust. This is why I choose to clear people as soon as possible and then every time thereafter. She may not like to do it this way because of what she was taught to do, which is her choice.

Generally, every upper lip case I have done, over my many decades, had the client insisting over-and-over “endlessly” that I was causing more hair growth. Why? Well, they stopped fiddling with their hairs and started to see the reality of their upper lip growth.

Now that I’m a grumpy old fart, that is the ONLY reason I will no longer work on fine upper lip hairs … seems like I’m being harassed. Beards and “real hairs” … yes, but the fiddlers and quibblers? No way Jose! The 2 - 4 hours of total time is just not worth it.

I’m not sure why you both have the same replies? Lol
Ok…

Yeah I don’t think there’s more hairs. They’re just so much thicker and darker. They won’t even cut and bleach. I’m confused…I can’t believe this would be from electrolysis? My electrologist is very professional and really seems like she knows what she is doing. I don’t feel any pulling. Maybe here and there a drop.
She has many clients and came recommended. I mean she does the rest of my face good, it’s not like those hairs regrow worse. I guess the upper lip is different?

I just can’t understand why the hair is thicker and darker. Perhaps the way the regrowth is it appears this way and I’ll let it grow out and see what happens? I hope it goes back to normal I mean even if it was plucked I don’t see how that could make it darker and thicker either. I used to pluck in the past and this didn’t happen. Thanks all! Just really upset by this :cry:
I didn’t even care about this spot getting treated because it was fine the way it was. My electrologist just really wanted to start on it. I’m so mad I let her now look how horrible it looks :sweat::disappointed_relieved:

Also my upper lip hair is real not little fuzz. I only ever bleached and cut. I plucked a few here and there years ago. So the “I am letting it grow out because I stopped plucking and waxing” doesn’t apply here. Thanks all!!
Just disheartening to see it be so much worse. I can’t believe it

The way to fix it is with electrolysis. I don’t know how many ways to say it. If you don’t trust the process, it’s okay to go back to what you you were doing. I have treated thousands of upper lips and they have always improved toward ultimate success - not gotten worse.

1 Like

Never let your electrologist dictate what your personal goals should be (it should be the other way around).

Dictate?

I’d say a client and electrologist should work together on the goals. If the goal of the client will cause a strange or unnatural appearance, the electrologist should point out what she’s seen in her practice; and why the goal is either unreasonable … or potentially injurious.

Likewise, the client should not “dictate” such things as needle-type, modality, settings, etc. Once the two decide on a great outcome, the electrologist sets her program, explain the details, and then executes the plan. I don’t support dictatorships of any kind.

Thanks all for the help.
My electrologist just thinks that my upper lip is very visible since the rest of my face is mostly cleared except for the sides. So she is just trying to give best practice and guidance. She didn’t want to save it for the end and wanted to treat a bit at a time. Not a bad idea I thought, however to me it seems the hair grew in darker and thicker. Not saying it actually is but it appears this way. It can’t be bleached and cut as good. Probably because it’s new hair regrowth. Maybe some hairs are missing from being killed so the ones remaining appear more visible??

I told her to not do there right now. We can circle back in the future.
I hope it goes back to normal and I can go back to bleach and cut it like usual.
I care more about the sides of my face since they are really dark and take longer to do.

Maybe down the road I’ll go back to my upper lip. But if it goes back to how it used to look then I may just leave it.

Fast growing early anagen hairs that are returning from exogen are more difficult to bleach.

Here’s something to think about: Is it more likely that you are incorrectly analyzing your upper lip change in hair growth (caused by electrolysis) or that your case, among literally millions of upper lip cases, is something that has never been documented?

Yes the ones growing back are dark and thick and when they grow out will be better to bleach :crossed_fingers:

Yeah I know, it’s not that electrolysis made it worse. It’s just regrowth happens with electrolysis until the hair is killed and when it regrows it’s short and can’t be cut and bleached well. It’s an issue when it’s your upper lip because it’s the most noticable. All I know is my hair appears darker and thicker so I want to pause on treating it to see if it goes back to how it was. I have plenty for her to treat on the sides of my face.