Understanding scars after (bad) electrolysis?

Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding the possibility of scar formation after (bad) electrolysis in facial areas. Do scars in the face form, if ever, after scabs/crusts/postules? I refer especially to depressed scars or holes. In my case for instance, I did not have any bad immediate post treatment reaction like excessive swelling, bumps that lasted too much, fluid leaking or any scab at all. I just had one electrolysis treatment. How possible is it to develop depressed/indented/pinhole scars as my skin continues to heal? I believe that this is an interesting topic that could help many electrolysis customers. I know that this depends heavily on things like modality, type of hair, insertion precision. But as professionals who have seen many bad electrolysis treatments over the years, it would be nice if you could elaborate on this topic as I think that it would help clients understand. My impression is that in some cases, especially in the face, patients don’t observe scabs but still remain concerned about skin texture and particularly scars. Would you say that it is common to observe these scars or long lasting marks in the face: chin, upper lip, jawline etc. if no crusts or scabs were formed? Like I said, no straightforward answer expected, just opening this topic so you can share your thoughts. Thank you

Speaking as both an electrologist and an esthetician, we must always remember that the area we are working in is located in the lower layers of the Dermis though it appears more on the surface of the epidermis. In the Dermis is where our collagen and elastin are produced and maintained. Any inflammation always as the potential to degrade existing collagen (firmness) and elastin (elasticity) of the skin. If not replaced through the skins natural regenerative healing process, it can result in the depressions or appearance of pitting in the skin. It is a risk even in uncompromised tissues with a good and experienced electrologist. That having been said, incorrect techniques, be it insertion or too much RF or Direct current can greatly increase this risk as we are always causing some inflammatory responses in the skin. The redness and swelling after electrolysis are clear signs that the skins healing process is in good working order. Scabbing is a rarity in my practice but it can happen especially if there is a very healthy blood supply to the dermal papilla or if small capillaries are located close to the current they can burst and cause ecchymosis (bruising). We then have to take into account the healthy diet and lifestyle habits of our clients. Many electrologist do not actually do a thorough skin analysis either being untrained in that area or they do not follow through on a thorough consultation. Clients who have higher intakes of processed foods, alcohol, excess sugars, or who have certain health conditions such as diabetes and others can have increased glycation in their dermal tissues which leads to further breakdown of the collagen and elastin fibers in the skin making the risk of pitting even higher. The pitting in and of itself can look almost like scarring though is not a true scar.

Scarring is a natural function of the skins healing process. This happens most often when the actual layers of the skin are penetrated from the surface downward. or can be done internally as a result of bursting through the follicular wall. Often if someone is causing this level of damage it will definitely lead to bleeding and scabbing. Repeated trauma can surely result in the pitting and scarring you describe. Some medications such as any Retinoid either prescriptive or over the counter automatically increase the risk of tearing in the epidermal an dermal layers as it can thin the tissues, cause dehydration, sensitivity and a much greater risk of post inflammatory hyper pigmentation. I always recommend that they consult with their doctor if it is prescriptive and get clearance from their provider to get off of it and receive electrolysis. If over the counter I always ask the client to either stop altogether while were are working towards clearing their skin or at the least 3 to 5 days prior to stop using it . Other medications including some antibiotics, antidepressants, some medications used to treat pigmentation or aging concerns can also contribute to these responses in the skin when the inflammatory response is triggered.

If a client is acne prone, we also have to consider that any trauma to the skin can cause breakouts to occur especially in stress/hormonally related acne which further complicates things and will definitely increase the risk of pitting and scarring.

Another factor is that a lot of electrologist are not also a licensed esthetician and thus are not as well versed in how the skin works as say the average (not all mind you but) the average electrologist who has had very little training beyond the morphology of the hair follicle itself. As an esthetician I employ my knowledge to prepare the skin prior to electrolysis, I advise my clients on proper skincare at home as well as provide a high level of post treatment products in the treatment room. Even with this I always make sure that my clients know that while I do everything I can to minimize the risk, these things can still occur and may result in them needing other treatments further down the road. I’ve not had any clients come back saying they needed that type of treatment later on but I see it often in forums like this.

We also need to consider that while many states do legislate electrolysis a great many do not. And a great many people especially in states where it is unregulated have either never been trained or the person who trained them in that unlicensed state may not themselves have been properly trained. Even in states where it is regulated there are several people doing it under the table. My first real experience hearing about electrolysis was from a woman who was getting it done in Buffalo, NY by a person who made their own homemade electrolysis gun out of a tattoo gun and the inner workings of an electric radio controlled vehicle. That was what sparked me to begin to research more about electrolysis. I recommend that clients, especially if not in a “licensed” state look for memberships in professional associations like the AEA and so on. They will verify education and training prior to allowing membership. This can usually go a long way to ensuring that your electrologist has at least had some training and are not “home schooled”.

I hope some of this helps. As always I am speaking from my own experience and in no way wish to imply that anyone here would employ improper techniques or that they have not been trained. Only that it does happen. I am happy to be a part of the electrolysis community. In Gratitude to this amazing community of Hair Tell. I only found ya’ll a short while ago and wish I had known about all of you when I originally learned electrolysis. This is such a valuable resource for us and our clients.

Wow, thank you!! Really useful