Underarm problems?

I read somewhere that when you get your underarms lasered, that there is a problem with a ‘strange’ odor, one that does not go away…

Has anyone else heard about this? I go in 2 weeks to get my underarms done and would like to know more about this and if the odor ever goes away.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by jan:
<strong>I read somewhere that when you get your underarms lasered, that there is a problem with a ‘strange’ odor, one that does not go away…

Has anyone else heard about this? I go in 2 weeks to get my underarms done and would like to know more about this and if the odor ever goes away.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>

I got far less odor and far less sweat after I have my underarm lasered.

I’ve heard differing stories, ones who have had the results you have mentioned, others have mentioned a foul odor that lasts for months and nothing they do gets rid of it.

Just curious to hear other peoples responses who have had their underarms done…

Never had any wierd odour or reactions from having my underarms lasered. I have had them done three times now and the few hairs that are left will be taken out using electrolysis.

Perhaps these people who mention an odour have some kind of bacterial infection going on??

Chris

Sorry, forget to mention about the smell of burning.
The smell of burning would last for about 1 to 2 days.

well, apparently, from what I’ve read, there is some controversy about the laser affecting the sweat glands and somehow ‘changing’ them so they produce a different odor.

The things I’ve read is that the people have gone in to get checked out for infections, but there was nothing there, nobody could explain the odor that wasn’t there before the laser.

Underarm odor? Yikes! Honestly, I haven’t noticed any odors thus far. Sure hope I don’t! :roll_eyes:

Laser can affect oil and sweat glands (increase or decrease production), but I’m not aware of published reports of change in odor. Some people get a burnt-hair smell after laser, but this should go away.

One thing that can drastically reduce armpit odor (whether lasered or not) is to apply triple antibiotic ointment right after you shower. I have a, um, “friend” who uses this and swears by it! :wink:

[ March 14, 2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

Ointment? Wouldnt that make you all sticky?? :fearful: ew… LOL… I have a problem with sticky pits… dont like it at all!

I go next week to get my underarms done. I may apply ointmet right afterwards as that area does not get much air and I’m concerned about the pain with the skin moving around in that area so much. I put gobs of Aloe Vera gel on my upper lip when I got that done, and I do really think it helped cool it and helped it heal better… I may try that as well.

I guess I will just have to wait and see how it goes when I get it done!

I’ve been experimenting for the past week and have been applying Bactine (liquid, not ointment) after showering. I have to say that there does seem to be something to this. (Thanks for the tip, Andrea!) :grin:

I don’t really have a big underarm odor problem, and deodorant normally takes pretty good care of me. Still, I completely forgot to use my deodorant one day and my pits stayed completely nice and sweet smelling. I found this to be impressive!

The real test will be once the hot weather gets here and I spend a day sweating outside under the sun. I’ll post an update on my findings …

I just hope that there are no side effects like perhaps creating some kind of super underarm bacteria … :fearful: I am wondering: why don’t they just put antibiotics in deodorant?

because with antibiotics, with continual use, you become “immune” to them…

It has been 3 weeks now and I have not had a problem with odor, guess it only happens to a few people, not everyone??

The odor can be caused by burned hairs, or by changes caused in oil and sweat production.

I only do the antibiotic ointment in the underarms trick when I have a big meeting or social event. It definitely reduces my pungent pit problems! :grin:

Yes, burning: had a patch test on the underarm yesterday and was very struck by the smell of my own skin / hair burning. Don’t think I can handle that again…

Fuchsia

I’ve gotten my underarms done twice already. I noticed a a different odor that lasted 3 -4 days. After that all was back to normal. I just refreshed my deordorant more often during that period.

Is there a buring smell after every treatment?

How long after treament does it take for your underarms to go back to normal and look “nice”?
I mean… do I need to take a day off and let my underarms “cool down” and heel? hehe… sounds funny… but seeing some “burn” pictures has got me nervous. :fearful:

-wr

I’ve found that the burning smell is mostly in the air in the room that they are doing the lasering in, and less on me. I’ve not noticed any change in smell at all.

Also, my underarms have looked pretty much back to normal by the next day. I did once get a bruise from the laser that took about a week to resolve but fortunately it was pretty high up and I had to raise my arm up for it to be visible.

(Not sure what caused the bruise as the physician didn’t hit me with the laser – I am guessing that it was from a rather spectacular “hair pop” as the laser exploded it.)

I’ve had two treatments so far and the change in my underarms is pretty dramatic. I’m not totally hairfree yet – I’d estimate that about half of it is gone – but the hair that is left is MUCH finer. I could quit now and be happy with shaving, but I’m scheduled for my third treatment next Saturday.