Underarm Electrolysis

I had my first underarm treatment on Monday and have a question. . .
I had one underarm totally cleared. It is sore and red still. I have individual scabs w/ red dots as well as a large red patch in the middle. I have not used deoderant, just tea tree oil and then a corticosteroid. What is the recovery usually like for this area? I’m scheduled to get the other underarm done next week and then go into maintenance. Opinions?

I would recommend using ice immediately after the treatment. My personal technique also includes swabbing or wiping the area frequently during treatment with a mixture of witch hazel and wintergreen alcohol. This soothes and cools the treated area. Witch hazel also has astringent capabilities, which is beneficial.

The first underarm clearing is usually the hardest because it includes treating the most hairs per square inch that you will have done at one session. Clearances after this will not be so hard. Before your next side, you might consider taking a benadryl - it can make you sleepy, so do take driving and alertness into consideration. Benadryl is an antihistamine and can help with some of the skin reaction.

I had my first underarm treatment on Monday and have a question. . .
I had one underarm totally cleared. It is sore and red still. I have individual scabs w/ red dots as well as a large red patch in the middle. I have not used deoderant, just tea tree oil and then a corticosteroid. What is the recovery usually like for this area? I’m scheduled to get the other underarm done next week and then go into maintenance. Opinions?
You don’t really need to apply any Tea Tree Oil, but it helps generally speaking.

I would suggest you not to do heavy exercise for the next few days after electrolysis.

The recovery for armpit is very quick from my experience, much faster than all other areas. However I had Galvanic electrolysis, and I guess you had thermolysis treatment from your description.

Oh yes, I am doing thermolysis. That is all my electrologist does. I had my other underarm done yesterday. Thanks for the advice Barbara. I iced for 45 min. and what a difference! Much less swelling & pain. I wish I had iced the other side, but I will from now on for sure!

im wondering, how long did it take to clear one underarm for you? do you have very little hair there? did she clear it in one treatment only?

i’m just wondering because that’s one of the reasons i did laser there. i actually had a lot more than average amount of hair there. i would have probably taken at least 3 hours to clear one if not more…

She cleared each underarm in 1 hour. I think there is a combination of factors for this:

1. She works very fast with flash thermolysis
  2. I had average to maybe a little below average hair there. (I asked her)

thanks. that makes sense then.

I know, I am very lucky in that regard. Besides, the underarm hair removal is more of a luxury for me as opposed to the laser stimulated facial growth that HAD TO GO! Once I saw how effective electrolysis is, I decided to treat myself to underarms after going through emotional and mental hell and back for the growth on my face. I am so empathetic toward the women who have much worse cases than I did. From reading these posts, it’s the PCOS sufferers and the transgendered that seem to have the toughest challenges to face.

Hello laserhater!

Electrolysis will deliver on permanent hair removal for the underarms. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. Slam dunk, effective.

BUT laser has a very good track record also for delivering permanent hair removal to the underarm area. You won’t see hair stimulation on the underarms as you may see for facial hair. I am saying this for anyone reading this post who may be considering laser for the underarms. You are doing fine with electrolysis and you will be rewarded soon for your efforts. I’m in no way trying to convince you to switch course, but wanted to pass on this information with a thumbs up for laser for the underarms.

We have heard that laser will not affect every hair, but that’s okay, because steady friend electrolysis is available. The electrologist becomes the net the laser client falls into when they need to have the remaining lighter, finer hairs removed with electrolysis and believe me, there are not that many hairs to remove if laser has been performed with expertise for the underarms.

Dee

I agree, laser has an excellent track record for underarm hair removal. In addition to the success stories on this board, I personally know several people who are thrilled with their results. To them I say Congratulations!

For me personally there were several reasons I decided to do underarm electrolysis: I love my electrologist and am happy to give her business after her help through the nightmare of facial hair growth I experienced, I am weary of any future findings of laser being harmful (not saying it is, but I’m a worrier) or any undisclosed side effects I may experience & I just flat out refuse to give another dime to the industry behind laser stimulated growth, regardless of the success percentages in different body areas.

I realize that these are my personal reasons and am not trying to sway others away from underarm laser. It is an individual choice and I just wanted to share my rationale for continuing to choose electrolysis for permanent hair removal regardless of area treated.

Thanks for your careful explanation. All sounds very logical.

Dee

I appreciate your honesty and explanation. makes total sense to me. I’m one of those who got 95% with laser on the underarms and almost done finishing the sparse leftovers with electrolysis now. For those interested, I had more than average amount of hair, light type II skin, and black coarse hair. It cost me $100 per treatment and I had only 5 total treatments with laser to get to 95% removal mark. Cleanup with electrolysis took no more than 15 mins for both underarms the first few times, and now only 5 mins or so. I just have her grab the couple of hairs there while doing my eyebrows and abdomen. I’m basically done with upper lip and nipple area. woohoo!

Male here. Just prefer to look clean and neat. Underarm taking a while but finally seeing good results with electrolysis. It works.

Certainly, you have a good point. I have had 6 treatments with a reputable company using a good Alexandrite laser on my (dark hairy male) underarms. But, I have less then 30% reduction over a year after I started. The price is not too bad for this body region, but I do not have the typically reported results. You can’t know if it will be satisfactory till you’re done (and the time and money invested). Just being a “good candidate” is not enough. I think, in hindsight, that I would recommend electrolysis rather than laser…

Like I say, “If you have the money for the Gamble, give it a try. If you can’t afford to lose the wager, start and finish with electrolysis AS LONG AS YOU CAN FIND A GOOD PRACTITIONER.”