Tweezing before Electrolysis for All-Active Hair

Hello everyone,

I know that all the electrolysists tell you to NOT tweeze anytime soon before an appointment (because it messes up the follicle and makes it harder to remove via electrolysis?). When I had electrolysis done, I diligently followed this rule. But one thing I learned during the process (please correct me if I’m wrong) is that electrolysis is really only effective on hairs in the ACTIVE growth phase.

My question:

Rather than pay my electrolysist a bunch of money to painfully remove non-active hairs only to have to zap them again later, would it really be so horrible to tweeze all my hairs once, let them grow back in, and then have the appointment? That way the majority of the hairs would be in the active phase, and my electrolysist wouldn’t be spending so much time on removing dormant hairs.

I have wondered about this so much that sometimes I wonder whether it’s not a secret scheme between eletrolysists to tell their patients not to tweeze so that more hairs are in the dormant phase (so more more time, therefore more money).

Thoughts?

This is a misconception, Electrolysis is not dependent from the hair phrase, but from the precious to kill the blood and oxygen connection of the hair root for a permanent effect.

Bono or Josefina have explained this on a scientific base, so I also wouldn’t advise any of my clients to tweeze or wax before.

Mein Gott im Himmel hat mein Gehirn explodiert!

giggles…

gets a bowl of popcorn

Sorry… my electrologist (sorry for the earlier misspelling) was the one who told me about the active/dormant thing, and that it affected whether or not a hair was going to regrow after it was treated. When I asked her why I couldn’t tweeze them to just make them all active, she told me it messed up the follicle. So I am relaying information from my own electrologist.

That a hair can only be killed in anagen is part of the misinformation that has been perpetuated by the industry’s education sources for a long time… a lot of electrologists were taught that and have just continued to blindly assume it to be true.

The simple fact is, if the hair can be seen, it can be killed, regardless of which stage it is in… and for that matter, telogen is an ideal time to effectively kill the hair, as the follicle is in a particularly vulnerable state.

By plucking them, instead of killing the hair that’s easy to treat, you’re actually delaying how long it will take to finish, not helping the process or speeding it up any. Honestly, the best thing you can do is just leave your hair completely alone before treatment. Trim if you need to, shave if you must (yeah, I know there are some other pros here that don’t want any shaving, but I’m not going to tell a trans woman that is just starting the removal process to not shave at all if they can only do an hour or two a week).

Well said Emancipated!

Ditto!

Yes, thank you! This also points me in the right directions for learning more; I clearly need to correct some misconceptions.

Sadly, a tonne (ton) of electrologists also hold these misconceptions OH … so dear to their heart!

Ok so then the hair follicles that have already been zapped once (assuming skillfully) should not regrow?

But say shaved hairs that were in the telogen phase at the time of first clearing will grow back once that follicle starts into the anagen phase again?

Yes, but it is not easy to determine if regrowth is from a treated follicle, or from an intact follicle.

Yes, that’s because some of us prefer to work on virgin hair (untouched hair). With the maximum of hairs present, the first clearance results may exceed 75% reduction.