Trying to decide what removal method to use

Hello, I just registered but I have been reading the information on HairTell for a week or so. I am a young female that is very fair and has very dark brown hair. I am not excessively hairy but most all of my ancestry is from cold areas and I think I was built for warmth a little more then some women ^_^. My biggest problem is I have very sensitive skin.

I have no found a hair removal method that works for me. I realize this isn’t really ‘sharing my feelings’ but all the other forums were specific to a method and I don’t know which. Of course I have tried shaving, but it doesn’t last very long and I cannot shave around my public area as I always get nasty red welts within hours. I have tried depilatory creams (Nair and another brand I can’t remember) but I don’t find they work consistently. Sometimes the hair will come off pretty well, other times it just breaks part way down the shaft and I am left with stubble. It does not work on my armpits and I have never tried near my pubic area. Often it leaves my legs very irritated with red bumps for days, up to a week. This is more troublesome because I can’t show my legs off because they are covered with red bumps and often stubble and I can’t shave because of the irritation.

I have tried waxing and I have similar problems of having red welts for days up to over a week. By the time the welts go away the hair starts to come back. It is almost impossible for me to wear a standard bathing suit. I only have a day, maybe two, after waxing my pubic region before the bumps come. I have done the waxing myself and had it done professionally - no difference. The esthetician offered me some after wax cream to help, and it did but only a bit. Also the cream was $6 for a tiny jar - so good for pubic area but not for legs.

I don’t have the money for laser. Am I doing something wrong to always get welts? I am interested in epilator devices but from what I am reading most people get some degree of red bumps so I am worried I will have a huge problem.

I used to use shave minimizing moisturizers, first by Jergens then Aveeno, and they really helped reducing my between shave time but they stopped making both brands. Does anyone know of anything still sold in Ontario, Canada like them?

~ SD

Any plucking style device would leave you with the same reaction you got from waxing. Your shaving experience strongly suggests that you would be best served by permanent hair removal, as the post treatment situation would go away leaving you with a hair free, care free period, and eventually, if all was done correctly, you would stay hair free, and care free with no further work involved.

As I said I can’t afford laser, and that goes for electrolysis too. Home electrolysis seems that it is difficult to do, can be dangerous and sometimes doesn’t even work - so that is out. IPL seems unreliable and expensive too and I have never heard of anywhere even doing that!

Other options? Maybe just so my skin isn’t so sensitive or products for sensitive skin?

Some people are unable to use temporary hair removal methods at all, because of the type of problems you have. You could try improving your skins resiliance, with the help of a naturopath, have the hair removed permanently, or leave it alone. I would be inclined to leave it over Winter and allow your skin to heal well, and be prepared for the irritations to recommence as soon as you start removing it again when Summer starts. If there were good, lasting temporary methods available, that did not irritate so many peoples’ skins, this forum probably would not exist. I am sorry, and I know this is not the answer that you wish to hear.