Training

Starting my practical training this week, nervous and excited.

What is something you wish someone told you when you first started out with your electrolysis training/ first job?

What type of mindset and temperament is best for talking with people of all walks of life?

I’m driven to do very well at the skill itself but I am a bit of a shy person and I need to really put some work into myself to gain confidence, because I want people to feel comfortable. I absorb emotions like a sponge, which will be helpful but I cannot let myself become overwhelmed.

Thank you to anyone for sharing a tip of a beginner. :heart:

2 Likes

If you “absorb emotions like a sponge” working with the public has the potential to destroy you. You need to be compassionate, establish boundaries and stick to them without caving in because you feel sorry for someone. Sometimes the overreaching need to help and please can be your undoing, especially in this business.

4 Likes

My advice (and I’m sure many people would disagree, so you can take it or leave it) is to focus on the job to be done. We’re removing hair, and we want to be accurate, safe, timely and confident in our ability. If the social and emotional aspect is something you find a bit daunting, put it aside and let it sort itself out over time. There’s no need to play the role of therapist and friend unless you really want to.

I’m sure some clients would say I’m not talkative or friendly, and I accept this without any concerns. They come into my life with hair and they leave without it, which is what is important to me.

Hopefully that gives you another perspective to consider.

3 Likes