totally unsuccessful laser treatment

i am living in a nightmare! my problem was fine brown hair all over the face -cheeks and above lips- i visited a dermatologists who works with alexanrite laser, i think gentle lease canderela -i am not sure about the spelling. although she told me that she was not sure about the results of the treatment because very often fine hair grow into thicker hair, i insisted to have mine treated. the result is disastrous! my once fine, almost invisible hair, grew into thicker, harsher, darker hair and now look like a man’s beard. i had 4-5 treatments. i stopped the treatment as i see no use, the problem is just getting worse and worse. now i do the best i can with tweezers, wax stripes and bleaching creams. what worries me most is that a tiny mole i had on the cheek, bleeded after last treatment (3 months ago) and now i can see a tiny hole in the middle of it, as if the skin is burnt. i am scared that it will evolve into skin cancer. anyone with similar problem? what should i do next? contunue the laser treatment or start a new method of hair removing?

Hi- I had a similar problem- I did laser on face at a dermatologist and it grew back thicker and patchier.
Then I made an appointment with a good (highly reccomended) electrologist and my problem went away within 2 months.
Make an apt. with an electrologist!
Also, as far as the mole, the vast majority of moles are not cancerous, but if you are concerned, make an appointment with a dermatologist- and not the one you went to for laser!

It’s my understanding that when a mole is in the target area of the laser gun, it should be covered. Was this not done?

I’m pretty sure that I read this somewhere on another hair forum, as advised by an electrologist that also does laser.

Dfahey u’re absolutely right…Moles should be convered and they do cover it. When I did my patch test, they covered my mole and said it’s VITAL that your moles be covered.

I was thinking of doing my upper lip using alexandrite laser, now i’m reconsidering that. I might just stick to electrolysis.

I hope all works out for you…

Good luck,

You had a bad experience all right.

Moles are not to be treated by electrolysis or laser for any reason. With the laser you run the most risk of having a nasty burn as the mole absorbs so much energy.

Why not go to a dermatologist and have the mole professionaly removed? I had 1 pea sized mole on my back that had a few hairs growing from it. My electrolysist would not touch the hairs in it, so I just found a doctor to remove it, hair and all. Do not have a spa or general doctor remove it as it is on your face and you do not want a visible scar. Get a dermatologist to refer you to a plastic surgeon for removal.

As to the laser causing hair growth, that is possible but debatable. Have you had your hormone levels checked? Do this cause if you are out of balance you will need to get things under control prior to starting electrolysis.

Personaly I would say give up on laser you were never a good candidate with fine brown hairs. Laser hair removal works best on thick dark (black)hairs. Get your self checked out, ditch the mole if you can and have at it with electrolysis, results will come with time.

Oh yeah STOP tweezing or waxing the hairs if you plan on doing electrolysis in the near future, you are making the time till full clearence much longer. Bleaching, shaving and dipilitory methods are fine.

Chris

Hey Chris. About the mole thing, I treat moles with electrolysis all the time. A doctor’s prescription is needed in the state of Ohio and I would venture to say that a prescription is standard protocol in most states. Perhaps the standards are different in Canada regarding mole treatment.

To expand a little more, an electrologist is in a unique position, with his/her magnification to catch suspicious skin mainfestations. In no way should the electrologist ever diagnose, but your client may appreciate you’re telling them that they might want to have a mole, for example, looked at if you see irregular borders or funny colors.

Successfully treating mole hair with electrolysis is a common occurence and there are no side effects. It may take a few passes over time, but the reward frequently is, the mole is not anywhere as noticable with the hair gone.

Laser can in some circumstances wipe away a mole and then there is no evidence for one to see if that mole was diseased. I would urge all you laser clients to understand that a doctor should examine the area to be lasered, carefully, to make sure it is okay to proceed with a laser treatment.

Sorry your’re mole was not covered. Let the clinic know what they did so they can correct their protocol. immediately.

Dee

i am living in a nightmare! my problem was fine brown hair all over the face -cheeks and above lips-
the result is disastrous! my once fine, almost invisible hair, grew into thicker, harsher, darker hair and now look like a man’s beard.
what should i do next? contunue the laser treatment or start a new method of hair removing?

I’ve found shaving is the best answer – with a top-quality men’s-type electric shaver. If there were a better answer to thick, dark facial hair, men would be using it.

Joy

Whose going to shave your face if you’re in the hospital, totally helpless for an extended period? Electrolysis is worth your consideration since laser was unsuccessful for you. I’d do my research and find a good electrologist and just get going. You can shave to disguise your problem until electrolysis can catch up with the problem. But do you really want to shave daily for the rest of your life??

I would encourage you to seek a medical consult. There may be something going on metabolically that is causing your problem. If one doctor has told you everything is okay, get a second opinion.

Dee

Whose going to shave your face if you’re in the hospital, totally helpless for an extended period? Electrolysis is worth your consideration since laser was unsuccessful for you. I’d do my research and find a good electrologist and just get going. You can shave to disguise your problem until electrolysis can catch up with the problem. But do you really want to shave daily for the rest of your life??

I would encourage you to seek a medical consult. There may be something going on metabolically that is causing your problem. If one doctor has told you everything is okay, get a second opinion.

Dee

Actually, nursing auxiliary staff in most hospitals are very good at helping with shaving if asked. They ususally have an electric shaver on hand for male patients or can borrow from another ward if you’re an emergency admission.

In everyday life I’ve no problem with shaving every day.

There is certainly “something going on metabolically” to cause heavy hair growth. The question is whether the risks associated with countering (in my case)the testosterone excess are worth it. I reckon theyre not worth it. The high testosterone levels don’t really affect me much beyond giving me male hair-growth patterns, so I deal with the moustache and beard growth in the same way most males do. It seems to me that while those who are worrying about laser, electrolysis etc. are endlessly troubled, I myself don’t have any angst about my facial hair.

Joy

I admire you Joy for feeling comfortable in your own skin, no angst, no worry, about your facial hair. For most women it is not that easy. Unwanted hair affects them deeply to the point of personality change. They do want a solution that is not temporary and are hardly persuadable to employ shaving for the rest of their lives.

Having worked as a nurse on a hospital floor for 10 years, I can tell you, shaving a female patient doesn’t always happen, unless a family member takes over. Cosmetic hair removal by shaving is not on the “to do” list of very busy staff members on the hectic, unpredictable nursing units in most hospitals. I used a hospital setting as one example as to why one might desire to find a permanent solution. I’m sure there are other scenario’s.

To each their own. I just know that many women don’t like the feel of blunt hair after shaving and don’t want this as their daily ritual for the rest of their life. Electrolysis can make a huge difference.