Tips for determined DIY?

Hi all,
So glad to have found this board! I was just about to order a machine from Global, but saw the MAJOR scam warnings about them here - whew! I am, however, really interested in doing electrolysis at home. I’m looking at a Sofblend Model T~80 epilator to buy, and Fino Gior’s book Modern Electrology to go along with it. I’ve talked my hubby into learning it w/ me to do the work. He’s an EMT and builds computers in his spare time, so has both medical and electrical background.
Anyone have opinions about this particular machine?
Any tips on getting started? I’m particularly interested in any info DIY’er would like to share, as I see you’re a husband/ wife team doing this at home.

Thanks in advance!
:smile:

For the record, I know the authors Gior, Meharg, and Bono personally. Showing no favoritism between any of my friends, I have to suggest that if you are not planning on buying all the text books: Modern Electrology - Gior, Cosmetic And Medical Electrology - Richards, and The Blen Method - Bono, then you will find that if you are only going to buy ONE of these books, the easiest to follow for the do it yourselfer is The Blend Method by Michael Bono. It also has lots of illustrations and charts. Those who have read all three usually find the ease of assimilating the material to be ranked Bono’s Blend, followed by Meharg/Richards Cos-Med Elec, then Gior’s Mod Elec.

Mr Walker,
Thanks so much for the quick reply- I might just buy both Bono and Fior’s books, I really want to be able to get this right. With my work schedule, my husband’s schedule, and the kid’s activities and school schedules, I really just don’t have the time to go to a pro. I’m also VERY modest and felt very uncomfortable having a stranger do laser work on my bikini area. I realize you may not agree with the DIY approach as opposed to seeking an experienced tech, so I do appreciate your suggestions.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Hi there,

Well, first of all, I admire your courage and determination. It’s a pretty long learning curve, but by the end, you’ll be very pleased with your abilities. Having slogged through probably about 100 hours, I now think nothing of quick touch ups on her eyebrows and upper lip.

We’re going through a second complete pass on the pubic area (I call it “pubolysis”) and there’s one more clearing on the underarms. Next fall I think we’ll embark on the legs. It’s incredible to look at the areas and realize the hair is really, really gone.

I’ve concluded that home electrolysis works for cases in which there’s either just a little hair or a great deal. In the former case, you don’t care too much that you’re much slower than a pro; in the latter, you invest enough time to become fairly proficient. Between the two, you never get really good, yet you burn a bunch of time doing it.

Take a look through my recent posts (accessed by clicking on my profile) to see notes on equipment choices for diy’ers. I’d be happy to discuss further questions about equipment and facilities.

If you have a fair amount of hair to deal with, and it’s inconvenient to work in finding and visiting an electrologist, you’re willing to gamble a little under $2K on equipment, and you’re willing to commit the time to learning, go for it! It has worked well for us, but I can easily see it wouldn’t work for everyone.

And ditto the comments on Bono’s book. While the book is not perfect, the knowledge Bono shares on those pages is encyclopedic.

[ April 20, 2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: DIY’er ]