Thoughts on chin skin reaction after electrolysis

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate your thoughts as electro professionals on whether my skin reaction after electrolysis is being normal. I just had my first session of electrolysis in my face. I’m treating the upper lip, chin, and some hairs in the sides of my face (the most visible), as I have had hair growth induced by laser. It’s been 3 days now and my skin is not looking too bad, but I’m a bit worried about the chin. My electrologist was mainly working on this area as it’s where I had most of the hair. The hair was quite thin and mostly blond but long, only a few hairs were darker but still not coarse. She’s using blend. Total treatment time for the face was one hour, of which probably 30 minutes were on the chin. I would say that she has completely cleared the chin area. The treatment plan is to come in after 4 weeks. I’ve been disinfecting twice daily with 70 alcohol and applying either cicalfate by Avene or cicaplast baume b5 from La Roche Posay. I’ve also avoided alcohol and caffeine and have tried to drink more water. These days it has been very cloudy, and I have not been exposed to the sun at all. However when I do go out with the sun I’m planning to use the cream Cica by Uriage which is SPF50. I attach a picture so that you can let me know your thoughts. Any advice on the after care is also greatly appreciated :slightly_smiling_face: Many thanks in advance!

Is there anything you find concerning? It looks totally fine.

I see some very minor swelling and redness from the treatment, which should resolve in the days following treatment. I also see some very feint pigmentation which may be from the treatment. This is also normal and unavoidable for some people. It will resolve with time, and I usually see improvement over the course of treatments.

You’re overdoing the aftercare. Using alcohol disinfectant isn’t much use. A gentle soap and water is fine for cleaning the area. Any sort of restorative skin creams, like the ones you mentioned, are not necessary. Only use them if you enjoy them - your regular skincare routine is fine as long as there’s nothing too harsh included.

Drinking more water won’t help. Avoiding alcohol and caffeine before treatments is a good idea. Avoiding overexposure to the sun is also a good idea, but any sunscreen at least SPF30 will be fine, no need for the expensive stuff unless you want to.

1 Like

Please do not use these products on your treated skin. It may impede the natural healing process. With that said, I see nothing that concerns me with your skin. Keep on a planned schedule to treat new hairs as they emerge. It sounds like your electrologist is doing a great job.

1 Like

Your skin reaction, including the pigmentation, is a very acceptable outcome for this procedure. It’s not permanent, but it will need some time to resolve as your skin continues the healing process. This level of pigmentation is very mild in comparison to what some experience.

For your aftercare, you can use ice or aloe vera if the area feels hot. Apart from that, any other reactions will resolve on their own and there isn’t much you can do to help. Water and soap is totally fine. There’s really no need to constantly disinfect your skin.

Orange peel is unlikely given that the hair seems to be sparse based on your description. You’ll still see some uneven skin texture during the course of treatments. This is wound contraction, which is also temporary and resolves on its own.

There is absolutely nothing concerning in these photos. The most important thing to do now is to not worry yourself, continue regular treatments and your skin will improve with time.

1 Like

hairhelp this skin reaction is totally fine temporary healing manifestations. It’s tru that we wont generally clear all the hair in one pass if the hair is dense/course. That said it would TOTALLY FINE to clear the small amount of hair pictured in one sitting.

I’ve said it before, and Michael Bono has as well, anxiety over minor healing manifestations will not serve you well. Dont sweat the small stuff! This treatment is completely normal and will not result in any permanent issues.

1 Like

Millions of consumers worldwide recieve electrolysis with zero side effects and much more agressive treatment that what you have pictured. I remember giving Mike Bono absolute CRAP for telling a consumer that they were too anxious for electrolysis. but I’ve come to realize that some just are too anxious .
I’m going to say that you SHOULD wait. Let the area heal completely. Dont do anything to it. If you are able to manage with just scissors, then do so. Over time you will come to realize that no damage was done and perhaps rethink the decision to discontinue, but I’m done telling people their feelings are invalid. Let your body prove it to you, and then decide.

2 Likes

If you have this much anxiety, it would be best to stop treatment. I see nothing wrong with your healing skin and other professionals have expressed the same. I don’t know what else can be advised.

1 Like

I see NOTHING wrong with your skin. In my opinion, a treatment without some temporary short-term side effects (redness, slight swelling, irritation, etc.) is a worthless treatment. I agree with Deedra … if normal side effects are ramping up your anxiety, I recommend you stop treatment. In moving forward you have two choices: #1 Keep the hair and use temporary methods at home or #2 Tolerate temporary side effects to get rid of it. It’s that simple.

1 Like

The treatment area does not look overtreated (too much energy). Some clients have a propensity for temporary tissue contraction which can result in small dents, dings, and creases while the skin heals below the surface.

I agree with the above. There’s absolutely nothing to indicate that this was an aggressive treatment, and this treatment area is known to result in temporary wound contraction.

I have a client who experienced this reaction despite a gentle treatment. Very few of my other clients have this reaction to such a degree. We’re now almost a year into treatment, and her skin is nearly almost back to even and flat despite having a session at least once a month. When we’re completely done in another six or nine months, I expect her skin to continue its healing process and for there to be no long-term issues.

Your post caught my eye because I went through something similar after my electrolysis sessions. Your aftercare routine sounds solid—especially the SPF! My chin was a bit finicky too, but it settled down. Maybe try aloe vera for extra soothing? Also, I stumbled upon this underarm whitening treatment that worked wonders for me. It’s called picolaser, you might wanna check it out.