Things to ask

I found a women I like who is on the local electrolysis board. I’m going to ask her kill rate. I would prefer to book long hour blocks to get first clearance ASAP. Should I mention this first or wait and see what her preferred method is? She told me to drink lots of water and if I’m on my period I won’t want to come due to pain. How will I know if she’s plucking the hair? Does what kind of machine she uses matter? Her website said she uses short wave and blend.

I can see that you are based in the UK.

Things like ‘kill rate’ and ‘first clearance’ may be foreign concepts unless there has been a significant change recently.

It doesn’t sound like you have been for a first consultation yet, so do this and see what she has to say about how she will tackle your hair.

You seem to have read a bit and therefore I would assume that you will try to let as much hair as possible grow in before your treatments? As this will be the fastest way to achieve a first clearance. How long the electrologist is comfortable working on your face in a single session can vary. Her methods and equipment may mean that your skin has more of an immediate reaction than the electrologists on this board, so she may not want to do more than an hour or so on an area and allow your skin time to recover before the next session.

Rather than asking about ‘kill rate’, I would perhaps ask if she expects that every (or almost every) follicle she treats in a session will be killed.

You could also try the test patch method that has been suggested in posts in the past. This would give you the best idea of how effectively the electrologist is killing follicles and whether it will be worth the commitment.

I would ask for real numbers. For example, let’s say you are doing your underarms?

First Question: How many underarm cases have you completed? The right answer is not “Oh, I do this all the time!” The answer should be a real number, or an approximation, say, 5 cases, 20 cases, 100 cases. OR … I have never completed a case.

Second Question: What was the average time for completion? The answer should be in hours, say, 10 hours, 20 hours … ? A real number … and average. The answer, “It takes about a year,” is a meaningless answer. A year could be 2-hours or 100- hours.

Third Question (if you are really brave); May I speak to a former client that had this work done?

None of these questions are out of line. Dr. Chapple and Dr. McKenzie (plastic surgery) directly answer these legitimate questions all the time … and always have a few patients that are happy to speak with a prospective patient.

It’s your money and your face … or whatever other body part.

skittlesfirehawk,

This site answer most of your questions:

Dimi