Thermolysis.. understanding the impact area of flash on a hair follicle

I am trying to understand the impact of single flash of thermolysis on a hair follicle. Say we have a hair follicle 5 mm deep with coarse hair. Using the appropriate settings for this particular hair how much of length would the single flash destroy? Can a single flash destroy the 2/3 of the follicle? I believe not and that is the reason electrologist would use bulb to bulge method. Anyway, I am curious to know the scale of impact of a single flash, it’s diameter vertically. Thanks.

A single flash of thermolysis can destroy the bottom 2/3 rds of the follicle. The insertion must be perfect and the energy level must be set correctly, with a probe to match the size of the follicle. Sometimes coarse hairs need a couple taps for it to release smoothly, whether it be flash, blend or galvanic.

@Deedra if the electrologist zaps the hair at least two or three times and still has trouble pulling out a dark coarse and deeply rooted chin hair – do you think skillset is an issue [basically didn’t zap the root properly] or its the wrong temp/energy level?

This is a very good question, indeed. There are two ways thermolysis (HF) are utilized by electrologists: pulsing (aka “flash”); and manual (the current stays on until the operator turns it off). I both cases, the current “climbs the needle!” All electrologists have experimented with meat or egg white, and watched the current “climb.” But WHY does this happen?

(I’ll stay with your your “flash” question): Consider that any electrical current always seeks the wetter medium … and so, the coagulation-feature goes to the more moist area. Your first “flash” will attack the lower tissue (also the nature of HF itself: the “point effect”). However, that coagulated tissue, because of “flash 1,” is now relatively dryer than the tissue directly above the needle. So, on your second flash, the current will “climb” to the next higher (wetter) tissue. The effect is almost like moving the needle upward in the follicle.

Remember too that the hair “anchor” is not at the bottom of the follicle … instead, the hair is held in (roughly) at the top of the upper 2/3rds of the follicle. Thus, with a couple “flashes” the anchor is zapped and the hair epilates easily. (The corollary is that as the operator “pulses” (using a bare needle) … she might enable the current to coagulate tissue too high; and this results in overtreatment.