Thermolysis on Coarse Hairs - Bad?

You’re on your own there theFlyingProbe, I wont even allow those probes in my office. The owner of the company has long since made his intolerance of new electrologists well known, and I refuse to support the products of any company that behaves in such a manner. They lost my business forever before I even got started!

Does not sound like a good business decision on his part. Had no idea this was going on.

I’m going to have to call you out on this one and ask for proof… I’ve never seen Mike be intolerant of new electrologists, much less enough to “make it well known.” He was certainly helpful with me when I was new.

As we explained on a previous post, you have not been having treatments very long and what you think are “the same hairs” coming back may very well be hairs that were dormant and invisible, or new hairs appearing from hormonal issues. Are you getting total clearance every time? If you are, and the hairs are sliding out just fine without resistance (though sometimes very large bulbs can feel like traction even when properly treated) then you are not seeing the same hairs. I had nothing but straight thermolysis on my face, and it’s hair free and has been for a decade. I’ve had blend on body hair, and my opinion (as a non-professional) is that I would only really consider blend for deep, coarse, distorted hairs. Otherwise (and there are some important exceptions depending on the operator; Mike Bono is VERY fast) it’s just too slow to get good clearance. I also had much more skin reaction with it.

As a consumer of hair removal, AnxiousBee, it would behoove you to seek out treatment with expert electrologists who are very competent with all three modalities (GALVANIC, BLEND AND THERMOLYSIS) and decide for yourself. Relying on Susan Laird’s opinion only does not serve you or anyone well. I do not agree with her opinions and declarations. Over the years, if you do a search here on Hairtell, Susan Laird has come under scrutiny by many professional electrologists who dispute her website. This thread is no exception.

I do not agree with the comments made about Mike Roy of Laurier Probes either. As I recall, he doesn’t sell his product to people that are not certified electrologists. Why? Because a non-trained person can damage their skin with his most excellent probes. I think that may have been the case with you Seana, before you were certified?

Mike, if you are tuning in, I had a beautiful, easy-breezy time working on my clients this past weekend using your IBP probes. The custom-made probes you made for me a while back, the 4.5 shorts, performed well for 5.5 hours on a woman’s legs and the .007 IBP were exceptional on my dear trans woman’s beard hairs - six hours worth of electrolysis, with no anesthesia, means the world for our special clients who go through so much. I may be needing some probes that are longer? I’m assessing and thinking about that now. I have a client who I’m preparing for gender confirmation surgery and her hair follicles are the deepest you can image, on the back of the scrotum. She is very dear to me and suffers so much. Your probes seem to work best for her, but depth gauge is showing me that there may not be a probe long enough for some of these follicles . Have you ever run into this concern before? Is it possible to make a slightly longer probe that still delivers enough energy?

Thank you a thousand times for being so supportive. Your probes are the best! As you know, I use Ballet and Pro-Tec probes, too. I have a whole arsenal of probes and instinctively use what ever is needed for the job at hand, for my difficult, long cases, I’m always grabbing a Laurier IBP.

No Dee, I’ve never attempted tpo buy probes from him .That comment was directed at comments he has made here, personally, towards myself. Whatever you feeel about his products, doesnt have a single bearing. I wont support them because he has shown outright vitrol against me on several occasions just for helping out around here. I wont therefore ever give any of his products a chance. HE burned that bridge permanently.

Seana

Emancipated, I’d have to find the thread but it’s here to read. I’d trying to find the right search terms so I can send you a link.

Seana

Ok. I understand.

Now that I’m a troll on Hairtell … tee hee.

After wars are fought, and the body count completed, nobody can remember what the war was about in the first place. Former combatants become allies, and former allies become antagonists. It’s the nature of our peculiar species. Japan enemy … and, China friend. China enemy … and, Japan friend. And then there’s Germany and Russia (and Iran) switching positions. (Don’t forget Great Britain who used to be our #1 enemy!)

I suppose it’s my Italian upbringing that we always had ferocious "conversations’ and then a minute later we were hugging and kissing and forgot the whole thing. Specifically, Mike Roy and I have had some real "knock downs,’ but I’d be unable to tell you exactly why. I don’t have any lingering animosity and I don’t actually remember the episodes: something about pimples and scabs, if I remember (in)correctly? DAMNED scabs anyway! I like Mike, and Mike like me (I think).

Years ago, I developed a particular device … and the people working FOR ME stole the idea and gave me the old "knife in the back’ … two years later, I was working with the same firm on another project.

I was raised in a small very WHITE community (at the time), and we were the only Italians. I was called a "dago’ daily … even by the teachers. My 6th-grade teacher (Miss Sturgess … who was a “babe”), didn’t want me in her class … because she didn’t like Italians. (I also stayed in her class.) I was sometimes asked if I was "colored.’ I didn’t like it, but it had no effect on me, except I still don’t feel like a "white guy.’

What does all this mean? I don’t’ remember … I forgot.

I’m half Italian. I saw the same thing in my family. I always managed to stay out of the line of fire and just be amused with the emotion (love one minute and hate the next minute). It actually was funny at times.

Now that you bring this up, Mike, I remember as a child moving to a new neighborhood and the neighbors described the other neighbors as the German family, the Irish family, the Jewish family, the two women that lived together (no one knew to say lesbian) were called the two women that lived together., etc. We had a real melting pot going on, but we all got along just fine. My great-grandfathers (one Irish, one Italian) were discriminated against for being Catholic. There were signs saying no Catholics would be hired to work on the railroad. Prior to 1785, Virginia, which included all of West Virginia, barred Roman Catholic immigrants from the state. The only priest had to sneak out in the night to minister to the few Catholics that were in the state. In those days, a priest was looked upon by outsiders as a very strange kind of animal. People would flock to the boat landing of the Ohio River to come and see the priest because it was told that he had horns and a devils tail.

In 1786, good ole Thomas Jefferson enacted a law forbidding ANY impediment to religious freedom and slowly Catholics settled in Virginia.

We see a lot of misunderstanding and take insult too easily today, as well. That is why we hear explanations and excuses that the brain of humans is hardwired to behave in certain predictable ways and time never will change that.

What does this have to do with hair removal? Absolutely nuttin"!

So tweezing/yanking/tugging only MILDLY distorts follicles, and typically doesn’t cause HEAVILY distorted follicles, since you say that heavily distorted follicles are only a minority of the follicles you treat?

actually I didnt say that at all. I said that heavily distorted hairs ( such that treating them with thermolysis becomes impractical or imossible) represent only a small portion of the total hairs we treat. There’s a “putting on a sock” theory that is being currently debated by some of the senior electrologists that goes along these lines, Inserting a strait needle into a curved follicle, will cause the follicle to distort to the needle, much like your foot going into a ( non strait) sock will cause the sock to take on the shape of your foot. It’s not actually all that far off the mark as to how accurate insertions go . Now is there a possibility that a follicle can become over time so badly distorted that it would not tke on the shae of the inserted probe? Absolutely. But they would be a tiny fraction of the follicles in any given case, and not common to all cases ( only pluckers or those who have had surgery etc). So a tiny fraction of the follicles treated in a minority of cases.

Is it pick on Seana Night? Cause I so rarely get a night off.

I had thought that distorted follicles were the norm because of a post by dfahey I read a while ago, but now thanks to your response Seana, I now think that yanking only causes SLIGHT distortion and not HEAVY distortion. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

“I leap for joy when I get an occasional virgin hair client, but I don’t see many like that and many will not let hair grow for 3-4 months or longer in my locale and beyond.”
-dfahey, http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/124658/Searchpage/1/Main/17388/Words/“virgin+hair”/Search/true/Re:Average_size_treated_in_1.html#Post124658

But maybe Dee’s definition of “virgin” includes “never been shaved” as well as methods that detach the hair root from the papilla? I think we need a new word to differentiate between “never been yanked, as well as never been shaved nor cut with nail scissors” and “never been yanked but has been shaved or cut with nail scissors”. I think Adrien’s definition of “virgin” includes not having shaved:

“In this case, An area that you never shaved/waxed/tweezed (or you didn’t touch it during at least 6 mouths) is called a “virgin area”.”

“Is it pick on Seana Night? Cause I so rarely get a night off.”

Oh Seana! :slight_smile: I just wanted to ask all the questions that had been lingering on my mind, some for years, before I would forget them. It’s good that I got them all out of my system. It is only seeming like I pick on you, because you’re the one who posts the most. At least lately. So you are usually the last person to have replied to a post. Also, I know that of the hundreds (thousands?) of people who post here, you are one of the few who would most likely know the answer to almost any question, so I’m glad to get your reassurance on my suspicions and uncertainties.