Thermolysis HF output and setting for Proteus EP2000

I would like to know if anyone is familiar with the thermolysis epilator proteus EP 2000 manual pedal, and how to determine the best settings.
Especially the ones for the chin area, dark/thick terminal from hormonal issues. I’m reading the Bono book, but I don’t understand how to determine and find them working point. The book explains to find the HF intensity by finding the starting point. It instructs applying current for 2 to 3 seconds. It said I should feel current for 2 to 3 secs on a medium hair,
then to test up to 20 sec, and hair should epilate effortlessly.
My machine can’t do that; the pedal only allows the current to flow for a one quick sec second even if its set at 10 sec while pressing the pedal.
Is there an issue with my machine, or is there something I need to do differently to test the hair for 20 seconds?

Am I supposed to press the pedal 20 times to equal 20 sec?
I do not understand how to determine the settings if I can’t feel the energy for more then a sec in any of the timings from 0 t-o ten sec.
For the face, Bono’s book said never to work faster than 6 sec. Should I press the pedal six times on my chin and play around with the frequency to find the starting point?
I played around with the machine and the timing from 0 to 10 sec; I felt no changes in the length time while pressing the pedal, the energy was felt for one quick sec even if I placed the meter on 8 sec or 0 sec. The only difference I felt was that the heat was more noticeable, like a more noticeable pinch hot sensation, after I increased the time to 8 sec compared to a 4 sec.
Ex 1. timing was set 3-sec Intensity 4, press pedal, the light was on for a sec, and I
2. timing set 6-sec intensity press pedal four short 1-sec pinch
3. timing set at 8 sec, intensity at 4, press pedal, and felt an even stronger pinch like sensation for 1 sec.
How do I test the seconds necessary to epilate a thick chin hair and avoid leaving marks? By pressing the pedal six times while on 8 sec and increasing the intensity until I find the intensity level that will pull the hair without resistance?
It will be tremendously helpful if someone replies to my post
and if anyone has an idea of where to find a manual for this machine, please let me know.
TIA

To set manual turn the timing knob counterclockwise until you hear a click. You may feel some resistance. The timing now is in manual mode

Hello
I am Sherly Kollannur, Chief Consultant Electrologist & Trainer from Lase Acadamea- LiLi Scientific Electrolysis, India.
Please visit our website www.laseacadamea.org and talk to us through WhatsApp. Our WhatsApp number is 91 9961613806.
Regards,

Thank you so much.
Seems like a great machine but it its hard to figured it out without the manual. I really appreciate your reply.
Is this how the machine normally works with the pedal once the timing opt is on? Just wondering, what the the point on having the secs time set option , if it does not give me more then 1 sec any time a press the pedal on any 1-10 sec options when is no on manual mode.
Thanks again

I will start by saying, I’ve never used a Proteus epilator and dont know anyone who has. The proteus EP 2000 and EP2000 Joule appear to be thermolysis only epilator. The directions presented in Michaels book are for the blend method, and relate to the galvanic portion . The book is at my office so unfortunately I cant check what it specifically says. Regardless, to find your working point the idea is to start with low timing and intensity, then epilate a series of hairs progressively increasing current levels and/or timing until you achieve a clean epilation in a single pulse of energy.
For thermolysis , first I will say if you are working in thermolysis only as a learning electrologist, this is a REALLY bad idea. Most electrologists start with blended currents or galvanic only until they have mastered insertions. This is because the intensity of thermolysis for blend is relatively low compared to thermolysis on its own. Putting too much energy or inaccurate insertions with thermolysis alone causes the potential of skin damage including , electrocautery "cutting " of the skin, and burns associated with overtreatment. So if you are learning electrolysis, an old proteus machine would not be my favoured starting point. However that said,to find your working point with thermolysis:

First choose a normally clothing covered body area to work on. DO NOT do thermolysis the first time on a face. Start with a minimal timing. Usually this is broken down to tenths of a second. Choose 1/10 initially and move up to 2 tenths later on if necessary ( it shouldnt be).
Indentify a number of anagen hairs in the area you are treating. usually they will have darker pigment and be the hairs that are “growing” . If they are curled or go pigmentless toward the follicle they are telogen, leave them for now.

Start with the absolute lowest settings. Be as perfect as possible on insertions. Preferably, use of an insulated probe is best to prevent a HF short. You want the end of the probe in the lower 1/3 of the hair follicle. Start with 1/10 of a second and 1/10 intensity . Insert to the bottom of the follicle and press the peddle being careful to not put outward pressure the needle should be strait into the follicle without twisting the skin.
Gently test the hair with tweezers but discard and move onto another hair if there is any resistance ( there will be, because this setting s too low)
Progressively move on to a new hair and increase the intensity from 1/10 to 2/10 3//10 etc. At the point at which the hair epilates without any traction, smoothly like it’s “lubricated” you have found your working point.
Timing and intensity have a multiplied effect. soif you double the timing, say from 1/10 to 2/10 you need to halve the intensity to provide the same amount of current.
In general, most body hairs will epilate somewhere between 5/10 intensity for 1/10 second to maybe 7/10 intensity. But you slowly increase intensity or timing to find this point . In general i dont recommend increasing timing beyond 1/10 for your first treatments that way you can work with just one factor, intensity.
That, is pretty much how you find your working point . Again however, if you are still learning insertions, please give some galvanic a try before you delve headlong into thermolysis treatments.
Seana

Edit: from looking at the other replies it appears from the controls that berkowitz is correct as well. But the automatic timing is in TENTHS of a a second ( from 1-10). In general the more you increase timing the more the body percieves discomfort. Thus the body percieves very little discomfort in the lower 1-2/10’thh range I recommended. But for each 10th of a second timing you are doubling the total energy. So 1/10 of a second at intensity of 6 is the same as 2 10ths of a second at 3, but will be percieved differently. That’s the relationship you have to keep in mind. Since most light body hairs will epilate at 7-8 intensity for 1 10 of a second, increasing to 2 10ths would need an intensity of 4. Dont play with the manual timing yet to go multisecond treatments until you have learned how much energy each hair takes to epilate. . But that seems tobe why you are confused, it isnt a seconds dial its 10’ths of a second…
Accuracy if insertion depth is critical to whether or not the hair will epilate. The energy has to be in the right place. The results you achieve will depend on the accuracy of your insertions and for most DIY’ers, that acuracy is very poor especially when you are starting out. Pluck a hair if you have to to do a depth guide and insert your probe only that amount after comparing under magnification . You need that accurate insertion, and thermolysis energy only affects those tissues surrounding the probe.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I will have to practice with caution, the visualization can be tricky for the face area , but I wont be practicing there until I become comfortable and familiar with the machine and its intensity level . I am an RN, so I am somehow familiar with injections and IVs, but this is completely different type of needle and very difficult to get good used to. Hopefully I will the hang of it Thanks again

concentrate on the insertions estimate with your eye how much the hair curls outside the skin and try and put the probe into the infundibulum right next to the hair where it exits the skin. It’s not a “needle” in the medical sense, it’s a probe. It doesnt puncture skin it glides into the follicle like putting a hand in a glove or your foot into a sock.

1 Like

Claudia, have you enrolled or graduated from a course to learn electrolysis? There are schools that offer distance learning, mixed with clinical instruction. Hairtell can only offer a portion of what you need to know.

No, Deedra, I have not. I am interested in finding one that teaches electrolysis along with laser online so that I can endorse the license in FL.
I live in NY, and here an RN does not need a license to practices laser or electrology. However, I will be moving to Fl next year, and I will like to practice hair removal once I am there.
According to the Fl Health Department, I have to be a licensed electrologist to offer laser hair removal services or electrolysis. The only professions that can provide Electrology treatments there without having to have an Electrologist license are Nurse Practitioners and MD and Physician Assistant.

If I want to endorse the license, I already need to hold an active electrologist license from another state, but NYS does not offer a license for that, so I am not sure how to go about it. Seems that there a lot of loopholes with the Fl regulations

Regardless of employment opportunities for the future, if you are going to perform electrolysis on yourself or a friend, its good to have some training. My training program had anatomy and physiology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Business, Massage, sterilization and disinfection, then came electrolysis principles and clinical practice.

Florida has a rather large spiral bound book you can purchase from The Society for Clinical and Medical Hair Removal. It’s the Certification Preparation Seminar Study Guide. It’s an online review course offered by the education committee . There are courses available from their website that would be helpful.https://www.scmhr.org/certification/

1 Like

thanks you for your advice. I will look in to it.

I bought EP200 but I cannot use it myself. I’m selling it https://offerup.com/item/detail/1015757407/