Thermolysis for Black Skin

Hi, I need help on this. I saw an Electrolysis here in Ga and my understanding was that Thermolysis was safe on black skin…well needless to say several days laters and scabs abundant, I had pockets on my chin. Going to see a dermatologist to see where these now healing black scars are headed. If not going way, got to consider legal action. My entire chin and part of face is scarred. For professionals out there, black folks scar easily on their face!

We can’t properly provide insight into your case without pictures of your skin after the treatment.

This was probably a poor treatment, but that is entirely the fault of the operator. Thermolysis and electrolysis are totally safe on all skin types, and there is no specific skin colour that is more prone to scars. The reality is that scars are not a typical outcome with a skilled operator.

Seeing a dermatologist is a good idea.

Hi there, any chance you’re able to send some pictures of your face to allow me to observe the area you had treated please? Yes, black skin is sensitive. With Thermolysis treatment there is probable cause your skin pigment will have darker blemishes after treatment. Please keep in mind if there are several dense coarse hairs in one area being treated. There is going to be a bigger chance for your skin to react with scabs. It will also take longer to heal. This is nothing out of the ordinary. The important thing is to keep your hands off the treated area and avoid prematurely picking the scabs off. This alone can cause pitting and scarring. I have treated black skin for 40 years. I would highly recommend cleaning your skin with some hydrogen peroxide over the next three days to draw out any impurities and oils that maybe under the treated area . The blemishes will take some time to heal depending on how much of an area you had treated in one sitting. The closer proximity of the work you had done, the longer it will take for your skin to heal. In the meantime. Like I have mentioned keep the area nice and clean and keep your hands off your face. If the area is inflamed I would apply some cold compresses to the treated areas. Also apply some Polysporin (also known as neosporin cream) medicated cream to the treated area. This cream can be bought over the counter. All the best.

Lankydotty, Sorry this happened to you. Okay yes, it will take a while to heal up. Please be patient, it can be many months for all the layers under the skin to heal. Each layer under the skins surface, maybe can take 30 days or longer for each layer to heal, IF they are effected.

Here is a case: This lady waxed and plucked out hairs and skin with the frustration of ingrown hairs. Then she lived in a sunny location and got hyperpigmentation all over the chin and neck.
Photos have her approval for any teaching or educational purposes!

We treated her condition with a gentle skin lightener and electrolysis AND WITH DISPOSABLE INSULATED PROBES (PROBE(S) THIS MEANS “THE NEEDLE(S)”). These type of probes are sold at many electrolysis supply places. It is in a blue color package as shown here. The reason for these probes is because as it says insulated meaning the current or energy delivery given by the practitioner is applied under the skin not near the top of the skin. Of coarse, depending how the practitioner inserts the probe. The non-insulated type probe can deliver energy to the skins surface in some cases causing havoc, depends again on the insertion placement. Not saying these non insulated can be more irritating, no just not for everyone. They are great probes! (I’m guessing but I did not see what probe was applied in your case) or simply not good electrolysis treatment. ??

Seeing the dermatologist is a good idea.

Note: I changed out the probe for a new one several times for any electrolysis treatment.
Example: For an hour session I may have used up about 4-5 new probes.
They may bend or get a build up of hair. That’s just me.

On darker type skin I would prefer #2 or #3 size probe. Electrologists do not like to be told what size probe to use, wink, wink be careful what you say. For some reason it can be a sensitive issue.

Ballet insulated probes

Email to reach out: drlaser@comcast.net
Hope this helps you and others to be aware.

Have a great day!

1 Like