there is probably something wrong with me

hello! i’m sam, i’m new to this forum, and i think there is something wrong with me. since you are all complete strangers who may be able to relate, i will tell you my problem.

my skin is possibly the most sensitive skin to ever exist on this planet. i would love to tell you that this is an exaggeration, but it’s not. i have the most difficult time with my “downstairs” area, which i have objected to years of shaving, hair removal creams, at-home bikini waxing, and occasional plucking, with consistently painful and horrible results.

so i recently decided to try brazilian waxing, and i went multiple times. my waxer listened to my every concern. she even gave me free samples of treatment creams for sensitive skin, but this was all to no avail. while i understand that irritation, itchiness, redness, and “raised bumps” are normal to experience after the waxing, mine seemed to last an abnormal amount of time. each time i got waxed, it got worse. i carefully followed each instruction she gave me, but my “raised bumps” would last for almost a week and even turned into disgusting, painful whiteheads. my skin would remain red and sore for the majority of this time. i was afraid to let my boyfriend near that area until at least a week or two after the waxing, and by then, some of the hair had already grown back. unsightly bumps + whiteheads + mini stubble hairs = not sexy.

after more research, i tried sugaring, which i heard is the best thing to do for sensitive skin. but almost 2 weeks later, my skin is still bumpy, raised, and to my delight, i have developed a few ingrown hairs. my skin’s consistent anger, inflammation, and rebellion throughout every hair removal method i have tried has lead me to the conclusion that there is probably something wrong with me.

i realize that it’s possible that i’m just being dramatic and that these results are a typical thing to experience, but from everything i’ve read online, irritation is supposed to subside within 48 hours after waxing/sugaring, and mine lasts for at least triple that. not to mention the pain. honestly, i am at a loss, and i don’t know what to do. i think i’ll probably see a doctor, but until then, i would like some insight from other people with super-ultra-mega-hyper-sensitive skin like mine. what should i do?!

thanks for reading, hope to see some replies…

sam

Personally, I would try laser hair removal which is what I am doing. You should enjoy a hair free month (at least), with no irritation etc, and the hope that there will be a permanent reduction after several (though expensive) treatments. Do not bother unless you have dark hair as it will not work.

It could be bacterial folliculitis. I’d be able to advise better if you answer the following questions:

1. What creams have you used by far? Did any of them contain clindamycin, erythromycin, mupirocin, neosporin, benzoyl peroxide, tea tree oil or ANY other antibiotic?

2. Do you get bumps EVEN when you don’t shave or wax?

3. Are the BUMPS painful to touch?

4. How long do they usually take to subside?

5. I’m not sure what you mean by whiteheads. You’re probably getting pus-filled bumps (bacterial folliculitis). Google bacterial folliculitis images and tell me if you have something similar.

6. Are you prone to bacterial infections? How old are you? Are your sugar levels normal?

It’d be great if you could post a picture.

Consulting a dermatologist would be the best thing to do. If he says its bacterial folliculitis, ask him to do a culture test. All the best! :slight_smile:

i’m blonde, and i have relatively thin hair, so i suppose laser hair removal wouldn’t work for me?

hi mumbai girl, to answer your questions…

1. i have used finipil, which is antimicrobial and antibacterial, given to me by my waxers. unsure about the ingredients. i also use bikini zone, and polysporin, on a relatively regular basis. those are the main ones.

2. no, only after hair removal, but they last for quite a while and eventually look like they’re starting to heal.

3. only in the first few days after the hair removal when the whole area is tender, red, and sore.

4. i’d say about five days, sometimes less, sometimes more.

5. yeah, somewhat similar to that, but not as severe. they start off as red circular marks, and then little whiteheads appear in the centres of each one. sorry if this is disgusting. haha. sometimes i get more than others.

6. i’m eighteen. as far as i know, my sugar levels are alright, but i suppose it’s worthwhile to have them checked out. i am prone to infections on my skin (ie: acne) because my skin is so sensitive. i went through hundreds of facial cleansing products until i found one that worked for me, and now my acne has cleared up. maybe that’s the same thing i need to do with hair removal. just keep trying until i find the most gentle method, and the best after care?

right now, the area looks alright except for a few ingrown hairs. i will be sure to post a picture next time i get waxed/sugared to give you a better idea… i don’t have a dermatologist, since i dealt with the acne issue by always going to a walk-in. i will try to get a referral from my doctor.

thank you both for your replies… :slight_smile:

IF it is true bacterial folliculitis, I’d suggest you apply a topical antibiotic 2 days before and 5 days after waxing/shaving and see if it helps. You might want to switch to another antibiotic in case polysporin has stopped working. I’ve not heard of the other two creams. Give tea tree oil( 4% concentration or more) a try.

If it is NOT true bacterial folliculitis, lactocalamine lotion/glycolic acid/salicylic acid/acne medications/ pure cool aloe vera gel might help. Salicylic and glycolic acid will also help prevent ingrown hairs as they are known to be fairly good exfoliants.

You don’t need to get your sugar tested. Acne- you might want to consider a dermatologist and try benzoyl peroxide, tretinoin or adapalene.

You should really relax. AND see a dermatologist.

I can suggest Dr. Kevin Smith. He is located in Vancouver. I don’t have any personal experience with him. I found him on Cutera CoolGlide’s website long ago. He says folliculitis can be effectively treated with laser hair removal treatments on his website. I’m not sure if he is right though.

Hey, have you tried using an electric shaver? It might not give you a clean look but it would at least not irritate the follicles. Something is better than nothing! :slight_smile:

hmm, i didn’t think of applying a topical 2 days before waxing. i kind of wean myself off of it right before my appointments so that my skin has no traces of anything on it at all at the time of the hair removal. but that might help, i’ll try it next time – thanks for the tips!

i have used aloe vera and found it soothing and helpful with redness, but not so much with the bumps, ingrowns, or whiteheads. i will look into salicylic and glycolic acids… it is worthwhile to note that i DO exfoliate the area once the irritation subsides a bit, and routinely once or twice a week afterward. just with soap and luke warm water. i don’t find it does anything for me though. maybe i should exfoliate more often? or would that irritate the skin?

i haven’t used an electric shaver. i’m very keen on being completely smooth and bare down there. but if my problems are not solved, and my skin is just too sensitive to do any easy-for-a-regular-person hair removal method, i think i’ll definitely try it.

thanks for your thoughtful replies, very much appreciated!

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Exfoliating often can irritate the skin. .

Salicylic acid and glycolic acid may not help with pus-filled bumps. They will definitely help with in grown hairs though.

I’d still suggest you consult a dermatologist. Or at least give your skin some time to rest! :slight_smile: