The truth about waxing?

My electrologist (who is new to me) says that waxing increases hair growth, and that I should stop doing it. She recommends bleaching, but she also has lots of blond fuzzy hair on her face, not to mention big pores. What confuses me is that the aesthetician at my dermatologist’s office is the one that recommended waxing, and my dermatologist is really good. I also like to wax because it exfoliates my face a bit. What’s the truth? I don’t want a bushy blond face, but I don’t want to increase hair growth either. Thanks in advance for any advice or experience.

I found the answer to my question after looking at a post that recommended electrolysisinformation.com. Here it is:

Stimulation of the dermal papilla can cause hair to grow wider in diameter, and at times can rarely distort the hair follicle. Only tweezing or waxing can cause enough trauma to stimulate the dermal papilla. Cutting, shaving, and depilatories do not reach the dermal papilla and do not affect growth. A patient under treatment should not tweeze between sessions, but may cut any visible hairs until their next appointment. Patients who have distorted hairs due to temporary removal methods should be advised to pace appointments closely so that you can treat hairs in their early anagen phase. At that point the hair is straight and the papilla is closer to the surface of the skin, making electrology more effective.

This forum is awesome.

I let out a big sigh of happiness when I read your posts,latrell. So many times, I and other electrologists have had to repeat ourselves over and over not only here, but to our own clients about the waxing/tweezing information. Thanks for answering your own question by searching this forum first. That is helpful to all of us who seem to repeat the same information over and over.

Fino’s website information was accurate - don’t tweeze or wax while having electrolysis. We need all the hair to surface so it can be seen and treated over the next 9-12 months. Waxing, in my opinion, is truly the worst because it takes the fine, barely noticable blond hairs along with the obnoxious ones. In time, those little hairs that weren’t a problem become a problem, and you need more electrolysis. Shaving and clipping the hair to disguise it while undergoing electrolysis are my favorite temporary measures. You need to do something to hide your problem while we are working very hard up front to clear the area of noticable hair. Wishing you success!

Dee

As much as everyone has electrolysis for different parts of the body, people have electrolysis for different reasons. This brings me to this topic about waxing between treatments. I for one will be waxing between treatments and I do so for my own personal needs and I do so of my own free will, actually I choose to do so.

I have what might be considered a large area treated (by large I mean not eye brows or upper lip which I would consider small areas) and cannot go home cleared of the hairs. I do electrolysis for my own personal pleasure of being hair free and having the remaining hairs removed by wax between appointments gives me what I want, smooth and hair free skin.

All of this to say that although it may not be recommended to wax between treatments, it is, and always will, be an alternative routine available based upon the individuals needs and desires and should be recommended as, or discouraged as, per each specific clients needs.

This reply is intended to express an opinion and not meant to sway anyone’s beliefs or opinions but to provide the readers of these forums another point of view, which is why everyone’s here, isn’t it?

jonny-longer, you didn’t mention what part of the body you get waxed. I understand it is a larger area by your post. Presumably, your not talking about your face?

Combining waxing with electrolysis on the BODY is frequently a choice and a good choice until the electrolysis probe can hit all parts of a larger area.

I would not recommend that latrell wax her FACE while undergoing electrolysis treatments. There are many, many very fine blond hairs that belong there and help a woman’s face look soft. If they were all removed with one quick pull, she would look like a manican, smooth and plastic.

Most importantly, waxing could stimulate those wanted fine, blond hairs to turn into ugly coarse, dark hairs over time. Shaving is the best option for facial areas until electrolysis catches up. We don’t get too hyped up about the body areas when waxing takes place, but when we’re working toward a goal on the face, our attenna’s should always be on high alert. It’s a whole different strategy and the wrong strategies could worsen an already desparate situation for a woman.

Dee

That’s right I didn’t and that’s because there is a place here for my expereinces and it’s in the Mature Forum.

Let’s just say there are no fine blond hairs involved.