Test on our attitudes regarding hair removal and body hair

1. How actually “disgusting” or disturbing do you find “unisightly” body hair in both men and women?

2. Do you think your hair removal concern is due to purely objective reasons (people making fun of you or other “hairy” people) or do you suspect that you might be the one to worry the most about your body hair, while others don’t notice?

3. Do you think your significant other notices if you are perfectly epilated or not?

4. Do you notice, in turn, when someone is perfectly epilated or not?

5. Do you go looking or do you just always notice if others have excessive body hair?

6. Do you check other people’s hairiness?

7. Do you notice body hair only when excessive?

8. Do you always notice any body hair that others might not see?

9. Do you think others see yours?

10. Have you ever experienced being turned off by someone’s body hair, someone who otherwise you had or might have found attractive?

11. What do you do when you find out, say, in the beach, that you forgot to remove a few hairs here and there? do you get self-conscious over it, up until you get to remove those hairs? or do you forget about it and just enjoy your day?

12. Is hair removal a constant concern for you?

13. Do you think it would make a dramatic difference in your life if hair removal was not necessary or so culturally desirable?

14. Do hair removal issues have an impact on your personal life? (say, postponing an activity because you are not clean and thoroughly shaved/epilated, postponing an intimate encounter or feeling awkward with your significant other because you know you might be “hairy” or look hairy to him/her?

15. How many people, and how close to you, know what body hair you remove, how, or that you are concerned about your body hair?

16. Why do you tell them or why not?

17. Do you consider it as your small little secret? or don’t you mind saying outloud that you “have still to epilate”, “have an appointment with your electrologist today”, etc.?

18. If body hair was not an issue, cultural or else, in the sense that it would not be considered bad nor unsigightly nor negative… and that you were given the chance to choose to have a lot, quite, not much or almost no body hair, what would you choose? why?

19. When did you start realizing or thinking that you were “hairy” or that you “had” or would feel better about your appearance if you removed the body hair of a certain body part?

20. Do you think you ever discriminated someone or were discriminated yourself (or someone you know) because of his/her body hair?

21. Do you often get remarks on your body hair? when, by who, in what circumstances? and how do you react to those comments?

[ May 22, 2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Elenacam ]

What a post… :grin: here goes my reply… I shall keep it brief, I have to go horseriding in a half an hour, but can elaborate if asked…

1. Excess body hair on men - I usually think they don’t care about it, and that is fine, a lot of men are not worried by it, or are more worried by being seen to be gay or something by doing anything about it. Australia is a very macho culture, so it could be a big thing here. Some men are just plain ignorant and most just accept that they are men, they are hairy. I accept that, but feel glad I care enough and am brave enough to do something about my hairiness. Excess hair on women, well, I tend to feel sorry for them, I know from reading this board it is a big problem and not everyone knows how to deal with it. It is not a topic you would bring up on the bus or in the carpark… “Hey, I noticed you have facial hair, have you considered electrolysis…?” is not a good opening line… LOL

2. I remove my hair because I am aware of it, I see other men on the beach or in the gym, with hair shoulder, backs etc… I don’t want to look like them… I know it is accepted, and they don’t care, but I do care, and therefore I remove the hair - for me I suppose, so I have certain look. If I had back and shoulder hair, I would be self conscious at the beach, and I would not participate in other activities that may involve showing excess hair…

3. I am not in a relationship at the moment, but my kids notice when I have been waxed…

4. I notice other people who have done something about their hair, other men who have removed their hair, or shaved their legs etc…

5. I notice women who are saving up for the waxing… the leg fuzz… LOL I also notice all sorts of other things on people… women with facial hair, men with a mono-brow etc… I am aware of it, and it is just something I notice… like a persons eyes, or height…

6. I do look at other people’s hairiness… men and women… arm hairs on women, necklines on men… any places their might show excess hair…

7. no, I notice all degrees of it… although I am aware of what I would think is excessive…

8. I notice it on myself, and as for other people, well, who knows if they don’t see it, or just don’t do anything about it…

9. I know others notice something different about me… some men can’t figure it out, women tend to check you out a bit… men who know have a look…

10. Not really… I feel glad I don’t look like some of the men I have seen… but as a heterosexual male, I have never had a female who disgusted me… I think the worst I have had to deal with was a few stray nipple hairs and some underarm hairs…

11. I just get on with it… I don’t think they are really noticeable from a distance…

12. Not constant to the point of obsessive ness… If I feel a stubby or two between the eyebrows, I go and get it… but otherwise, I just wax to a schedule and that is that.

13. If hair was an asset, like being hair was good, then I would be OK… but then culturally, I would have developed a different body image… although most of the reason I remove hair is for me, I know it has some basis in cultural influences as well

14. Not really… If i was due for waxing next week, and the hair was noticeable, then I may be inclined to stay away from the beach or close contact places like the gym… but probably not, because the hair would just look ‘normal’ by others standards…

15. My kids know, a few friends realise, (not that we have long discussions about it… LOL) I am sure a lot of other notice… I am always wearing shorts… The girls at the spa know of course… and the couple of thousand members of HairTell…LOL

16. If people ask, I tell them… most people don’t ask though… they may feel embarrassed, or that they may embarrass you in asking… most people just look, then make up their own minds I suppose… I don’t really care…

17. It is something personal, but not secret… I wouldn’t say to the other parents at school when I drop the kids off “I would love to stay and chat, but I have to go and get waxed…” but on the other -hand, I don’t park my car 3 blocks away from the salon that does it and walk there with dark glasses on… most people know my car, and this is a small place… one of the girls that waxes me knows people I know… but she is p[professional enough that I trust her to uphold client confidence.

18. Still would prefer no hair… I just like it personally… although as I stated, there is some cultural influence, as in beautiful or attractive can be related to physical appearance and hair is an issue… I don’t look at the male models and want to be like them, but I know that they are a reflection of societies tastes, and I am in step with those tastes… but I do feel I make the decision to remove hair independently…

19. Late teens… I am 39 now…

20. I think others have considered me ‘weird’ or ‘gay’, or ‘effeminate’ for removing hair… esp. 15 or 20 years ago… but I had to laugh when I was earning hundreds a day as a model in my younger days, because I had the smooth clean look, and others were not… LOL

21. People who do say anything about my lack of hair are almost always positive… I think my size (6’ 5" ) my athletic build and my bald (shaved) head tends to make people say only nice things to me… LOL The girls who do my waxing comment on how smooth the skin is, how much better it makes the muscles look… etc… the kids like the smooth look… I am sure one day the mothers at school are going to elect a representative to come over to me and ask how I get my legs looking so smooth and good… LOL I know they look, but obviously don’t come out and ask me… But ultimately, I choose to do it, because I like the smooth look, and I am the only person I have to please in this world. It is my body, and I will look after it.

I think once someone gets to know you, then being hairless or not is not any sort of issue, it just becomes a part of you they accept, like your height, manner, etc… It is just a physical attribute, and there are more important things that physical attributes…

Must go, cheers,

David

[ May 23, 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: IHH ]

David:

Well written reply.

I would reply, but I’m too lazy to write that much. I’ll wait for the quick check off version.

Of course, you will always get support from all of us smoothies here.

Thank you David, great answers! Nothing to ask you to explain further, it all was very clear and complete
Aguila, I understand :smile: .

Elena:

It’s not the answering the ?'s, it’s the time factor.

Too bad we aren’t able to have a poll that we all can use and just hit a button for each answer?

Yes, it would be great to have a poll feature!

I know some versions of this Software can run Polls… it would be good, and it makes it so much easier to reply to… as long as you put the effort in on setting up the questions and possible answers correctly

Cheers,

David

I would gladly post the questions with a poll structure :smile: .
I don’t know of the features, but if Andrea approves and someone explains me how, I would :smile: .

1. How actually “disgusting” or disturbing do you find “unisightly” body hair in both men and women?

Well to be honest I don’t really react to others hair other than to think “why don’t they do something about it” I have had waxing and laser and now electrolysis to smooth out the genital area and when I see other men in the locker room who are “full ape” down there I have to wonder if sex for their wives is not the best it can be. If I met a woamn who was that hairy you better believe I wouldn’t like it.

1. Do you think your hair removal concern is due to purely objective reasons (people making fun of you or other “hairy” people) or do you suspect that you might be the one to worry the most about your body hair, while others don’t notice?

My hair removal is for my own personal reason and I do it mostly for myself, although anyone I come in contact with ends up really enjoying it.

1. Do you think your significant other notices if you are perfectly epilated or not?

See question number 1 and 2. The answer is a great big “YES”

1. Do you notice, in turn, when someone is perfectly epilated or not?

See question 1. I enjoy photography as a hobby and spend a lot of time researching techniques on the web. The most popular form of photography is the nude. I find now I am more interested in how the woman has chosen, or not chosen to groom herself.

1. Do you go looking or do you just always notice if others have excessive body hair?

I don’t go looking but yes I do notice.

1. Do you check other people’s hairiness?

I don’t go out of my way but I am always curious to see if others groom themselves.

1. Do you notice body hair only when excessive?

No.

1. Do you always notice any body hair that others might not see?

No.

1. Do you think others see yours?

Very possibly. It is an unwritten rule that guys don’t check each other out in the locker room but we all know it happens.

1. Have you ever experienced being turned off by someone’s body hair, someone who otherwise you had or might have found attractive?

Yes.

1. Is hair removal a constant concern for you?
    Concern?

No. But I do wish I was finished and never had to think about hair growing back.

1. Do hair removal issues have an impact on your personal life? (say, postponing an activity because you are not clean and thoroughly shaved/epilated, postponing an intimate encounter or feeling awkward with your significant other because you know you might be “hairy” or look hairy to him/her?

No.

1. How many people, and how close to you, know what body hair you remove, how, or that you are concerned about your body hair?

Genital hair removal is very personal and not generally openly acceptable among men. The women I have been intimate with absolutly love it but it has been my experience that until they have known that I can still be a man without all of my pubic hair it is best kept secret.

1. Why do you tell them or why not?

No. I have found that telling a woman I am smooth before we are intimate never went over very well but not saying anything and letting her find out on her own always was received with high praise.

1. Do you consider it as your small little secret? or don’t you mind saying outloud that you “have still to epilate”, “have an appointment with your electrologist today”, etc.?

I do keep it my little secret, exept around here where there are people just like me, see question 16.

1. When did you start realizing or thinking that you were “hairy” or that you “had” or would feel better about your appearance if you removed the body hair of a certain body part?

During one of my relationships we would shave each other in the bath as part of our foreplay. I qiuckly found the sensation to be nothing short of fantastic and like many others who experiment with shaving I had found myself needing to remain smooth and hair free.

1. Do you think you ever discriminated someone or were discriminated yourself (or someone you know) because of his/her body hair?

No.

1. Do you often get remarks on your body hair? when, by who, in what circumstances? and how do you react to those comments?

Oh boy, my answer would be a little bit too long for this question but I’ll end by saying that I have never been disappointed.