Tennessee Girl needs Pro Electrolysis Training

Tennessee requires a 600-hour course & additional college courses for electrolysis licensing. It is governed by TN Dept of Health (electrolysis board). I spoke with the admin for the electrolysis registry at the TN Dept of Health. She confirmed that the three schools listed on their website are closed due to low demand for electrolysis. I am still interested in becoming licensed in the state of TN because I feel that demand is high & will continue to grow. I have checked nearby states but found no schools available in Alabama, Kentucky, or Mississippi. I found a school available in Florida, but it is only a 320-hour course (Cindy Cassady) and I need a 600-hour course. Karen suggested finding a dermotologist with Cosmetic Surgery who might be willing to provide training to me under their supervision. This might actually be a great route for me to take since I’ve confirmed with Karen that TN would approve this for licensing and I might be able to find someone locally (there is a 4-year college just 45 minutes away & one associated with a medical hospital just 2 hours from here). Maybe someone who also works closely with these colleges would be willing to provide some traning? Has anyone ever done this? Is this something that I should look into or is it a bad idea? Do you have other suggestions regarding training in my area? Please keep in mind that I am 35, married, and a mommy of 4-year-old twin boys. There are two accredited schools listed on AEA’s website and I believe both offer online theory training & onsite for the hands-on, but the distance is so far & the time away from home would be so long that this would not be feasible for me at this stage in my life. I need something a little closer to home. Anyone provide travelling electrolysis training that TN would accept for licensing? Any suggestions would be appreciated?

1 Like

I am in Central TN and have been considering this for the past couple of weeks as well since I am currently undergoing electrolysis. Hopefully someone will post a helpful reply soon!

There is training available in Lexington, KY. Does Tennessee offer apprenticeship opportunities? In Ohio, three modules have to be completed. Some courses can be taken at home online or at a local community college, I believe? So many hours have to be accomplished on the schools premises. Hours may have increased to 750. I think there would be a demand for electrolysis training anywhere, but running a school is expensive and more trouble than it is worth I hear. One has to be very dedicated if they run a program.

I had four kids when I started training, so I know how very difficult all this is for you if you have to go out of town. Everyone has to sacrifice for about a year, but then your life gets back on track. Can you call a nice electrologist to talk to in your area about specifics in Tennessee. By the way, I love the state of Tennessee - great people and great vista’s!

1 Like

I checked on schools in Lexington, KY. I found one, but it appears to have closed, too. It was called “Southeastern School of Electrology”. It appears they had a website at one time (http://www.southeasternschoolofelectrology.com), but it now just goes to a general search website. It was associated with a company name of “Bluegrass Electrolysis Clinic & Skin Care”. Could not find a website for them either. Karen at TN Dept of Health had mentioned to me this morning that they were referring people to a school in Kentucky but they had closed about two months ago. Wonder if this is the same one she was talking about?

The KY school had many complaints. Students were not be well prepared and were not able to pass their state boards.

I recently met a student that fits that bill, but in having several conversations with her, she is very much on top of electrolysis principles and is very motivated to become the best. In fact, she is in Califonia today getting instruction on the Apilus Pure. She’ll be fine. Just needs a lot of reassurance like we all did when we first started.

She had one on one instruction - she was the only student and graduated last year, so it does sound like the school did close unfortunately.

Ah, the wonders of licensing. :whistle:

From the American Electrolysis Association:

Tennessee electrologists

Hi Mommy of twins,

This is my first post! I have been an Electrologist for over 30 years and am currently practicing in San Antonio, Texas. Here is some food for thought:

1. Write all these facts down in an orderly fashion that can be scanned quickly for the officials in your state and present it to them. Offer your solution and they may just agree and let you revise the way you receive your training.
  2.    A.  Ask Cindy Cassidy if she can extend the hours of her course or 

B. After consulting with TNDH extend your hours of training by spending some weekends visiting other Electrologists or other schools. I recently trained my daughter and as part of her training we visited, James Walker. This was great because he taught a lot of technical information which I had not the time or inclination to do.
C. Ask and pay for an Electrologist to come to you to teach the extra hours.
Maryellen V. Little

Needless to say, MaryEllen and Audrey have James’ seal of approval, and induction to The Electrolysis SuperFriends :grin:

Really, they are good.

I like the that they offer hours seven days a week!

I copied a testimonial that speaks to the issue of why tools are an important part of your experience when choosing a skilled electrologist.

"Equipment Testimonial

Before I received electrolysis treatments from Maryellen and Audrey, many of my friends told me that electrolysis was very painful and uncomfortable. I was very concerned to start treatments with this belief, but I had to.

I had several laser treatments (permanent hair reduction) years ago but all the hair grew back with a vengeance. I knew there was no getting around it. If I wanted to get rid of this hair once and for all I had to go through with permanent hair removal electrolysis.

I finally decided to start treatments at Stone Oak Permanent Hair Removal. The treatments weren’t anywhere near as painful as my friends told me they experienced. I actually enjoyed having the treatments and even though there was some discomfort I found them to be very relaxing.

One day I asked Maryellen and Audrey to do a dual electrolysis experiment as they give at E3000. After much convincing Audrey, Maryellen, and I gave it a try.

I could handle having 2 Electrologists working on my face at one time but I was shocked at the differences between the 2 different brand machines they used.

They had been telling me that the machine that they regularly use was much more gentle and effective than any other brand machine on the market but I had no idea how much more comfortable it was.

Their second electrolysis unit which they used in this experiment in addition to the gentle unit they regularly use, is a different brand. Because of this, I could feel that the other brand machine was much more painful. It was like the difference between having a treatment with a little sizzle of heat and a treatment that is burning hot.

I will stick to the more comfortable unit that Maryellen and Audrey use all the time thank you! There really is a great difference in comfort level and effectiveness between different brand machines.

I am grateful Audrey and Maryellen use the more comfortable unit during my regular scheduled treatments! By the way I love going for my treatments. I have great fun with Audrey and Maryellen. They are truly very special people.

Lauryn F.
San Antonio, Texas"

Maryellen,
You should post more often! I really appreciate all the helpful info. This has given me a new direction. I spoke with a an electrologist in TN who quickly dismissed the idea of training under a dermotologist with a specialty in cosmetic surgery. She was located in the Memphis area & did offer to train me for $15,000 with all money paid up front. In addition to the cost, all of the training had to be completed in Memphis which would not work for me (3 hours away). I wouldn’t even be able to complete the theory portion online. In addition, there were some communications issues with that situation (as sweet as she was, I had a little trouble understanding her accent clearly which might not work well in a teacher/student situation). This past week, I finished a consultation with an Alabama electrologist which included 15 minutes of treatment. She was fabulous & is only 45 minutes from home. I am scheduled for an hour-long treatment again this week. My goal is to get to know her well enough to feel comfortable asking questions regarding the profession. I might be able to work out something with her for some training. She only works two days a week (semi-retired). She has 26 years experience in the field of electrolysis. She is paying for that office rent 7 days a week so she might even allow me to work in that location under her on the other days she is not there (after training, obviously). In addition, I thought Cindy C. might be able to offer the online theory portion to me then work something out with me to train with an electrologist closer to home (perhaps this one in Alabama?). If I continue to have trouble getting the licensing in TN, I may look at the state of Mississippi. They do not have any licensing requirements (Alabama requires cosmetology licensing). Perhaps I can open shop in MS (we are only 45 minutes from there), then attempt to move it to TN at a later date & work with the board as an established electrologist. In fact, there is an electrologist who works out of her home about 40 minutes from my home (just over the MS state line). I’ve seen the sign in the yard for years so I’m assuming she would have a lot of experience. If the AL option falls thru, she might be willing to train me from her home which might be convenient for both of us. I’m hoping the TN board might be willing to consider some of these scenarios.

By the way, great website & best of success to your daughter just starting her career!

1 Like

dfahey,

You said “I like that they offer hours seven days a week”. Are you referring to Cindy Cassady’s school? Also, you quoted Lauryn F. Do you know which machine she considered to be less painful?

I got that information from the website you linked to. The epilator they have pictured is an Apilus SX-500. If that’s what they use, then of course the treatment is going to feel less rough.

Dee

You can work in an unlicensed state for 5 years and have your CPE or CCE and then apply for Tennessee licensing:

1. To qualify for licensure as an electrologist without examination and without licensure in
    another state, the applicant must:
    (a) Meet the requirements of Rule 0540-1-.04 (1) (a) and (b) and Rule 0540-1-.04 (1) ©
    1.;
    (b) Provide documentation of having practiced electrology five (5) years or more in a state
    which does not require a license for such practice by submitting photocopies of
    paychecks, paycheck stubs, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Forms W-2 or 1099-Misc.,
    Schedules C or C-EZ for IRS Form 1040, or Schedule K-1 for IRS Form 1065 to verify
    proof of income (or loss) from the practice of electrology; and
    © Cause documentation to be submitted from the certifying agency directly to the Board
    administrative office that he/she is a Certified Professional Electrologist (CPE) certified
    by the American Electrology Association, or is a Clinical Certified Electrologist (CCE) or
    Clinical Medical Electrologist (CME) certified by the Society of Clinical and Medical
    Electrologists.

hi, i bought a apilus jr. plus to use on myself and husband…i did some training at cos school…

I have read the manual and get the gist…everything seems very easy to use. The weird thing is I can’t seem to get it to “electrolyzize” me.

I go through all the steps in the manual and insert in me and nothing happens. Does the Auto mode mean you do not need the electrode stuff?..that is what I thought so I have just been inserting the needle but it does not electrolozize me…or do I need the electrode and “spontex” for the auto mode?

So I basically turn it on…it is in the Thermo/Flash mode and i hit the Auto Mode…am I missing something?

The other thing …the needles seem so long…do I put them in pretty deep or does it depend.

Thanks any tips!

If you have not been in contact with the “indifferent electrode” the auto sensor does not get triggered, and thus nothing happens.

You should probably be using the foot pedal anyway. Auto sensor is for those with experience. Even pro’s using the machine on someone else have to get aclimated to the autosensor over time.

Thank you for CREDIBLE and ACCURATE INFORMATION!

This school is still very much up, running, and thriving on numerous medical boards all over the nation, MARY. Your name suites your life… MARY LITTLE. your just jealous, sadly. Gigs up. You are slandering a business. Oh, I think you know a little bit about that. Smh. Feel free to stop by and see them! Oh well, consider the source, now let’s go play suck up and list houses we can’t sale. Lol.

1 Like

Says? Show us documentation.