Switched to Candela Gentlelase for my face.. questions

After several (about 5 or 6) totally unsuccessful attempts at my face using lightsheer and alexandrite, I switched to Candela Gentlelase.

My experience so far…

It is a LOT less painful than other lasers. I was able to take the whole treatment sessions with no breaks, and without applying any numbing cream. My face also showed minimal swelling afterwards.

However, usually following treatment, a few hairs pop out immediately after treatment. Some others can be tweezed and slip out easily with no pain sensation. This did not happen this time. This is the 4th day following my treatment (I havent shaved since) and it seems my beard is still growing as it always did. Does this mean none of the hairs were successfully treated? It’s odd since they’re still growing… I doubt anything will shed if everything is still growing at a normal rate.

Should I try a different laser? higher joules? or just switch to electrolysis?

What color is your skin and hair? If it was a lot less painful than the other lasers, I doubt that the Gentlelase would do much good, unless your practitioner simply used too low of a fluence level. The Gentlelase is also an alexandrite laser. With an alexandrite the hairs will often come out during or shortly after treatment, others usually fall out in a week or two. If the hairs are thick, you can hear them pop and sometimes they will fly out of the skin.

How soon after your Lightsheer treatments did the hair regrow? BTW, if you have light colored hair you should look at electrolysis and maybe the new Comet system.

I have dark skin and dark hair. I have just had my 5th beard treatment this morning. And I have to admit it hurt like hell! We were able to use a higher fluence because I have a lot less hair and the remaining ones are thinner. I have been treated with the Lyra-i YAG laser, which is the best laser for darker skin types. I had test spots done with the Lightsheer, which was even more painful and left some redness for a day or two. My beard was about 75% gone before today’s treatment and I expect it to be 85-90% gone in about two weeks as the hair sheds. It is normal for the hairs to take 2-3, maybe even 4, weeks to shed after being treated with the Nd:YAG.

Having the beard treated with laser is very painful, even at lower fluences! I have not had electrolysis on my beard so I can’t comment on it. Maybe it doesn’t hurt that much. I’ve had electrolysis on my chest and armpits, and it doesn’t hurt that bad.

RJC2001

GentleLASE is an alexandrite laser. I am having bikini and underarms done with it. After the first treatment, the hairs popped out and didn’t budge for about 2 weeks, then almost all of them shed. It looks like they are growing at first, but they are actually coming out of the skin and usually shed 1-3 weeks post treatment. First, wait until then to see if that happens. Also, try to avoid shaving, it seems to slow down the shedding process.

After my second treatment, I got some pepperspots. Hairs didn’t pop out like the first time, but still shed. It took about 2-3 weeks this time.

Also, GentleLASE is supposed to be a bit less painfull since it shoots a cooling thing right before each shot, but if you didn’t feel much at all, the setting might have been set too low. My setting is 14 joules and usually techs use up to 18 or so with this laser.

Basically, wait 3 weeks before making any conclusions. I first thought that hair was growing too, but it ended up shedding.

Today I had another treatment. I don’t know what to make of this, a few spots are shedding, but the majority of the area, especially my chin, is not. I’m worried about the end results because hair is only falling out in few tiny patches.

shedding takes 2-3 weeks. you need to wait that long to see how much sheds. you can’t tell on the first day of treatment or even in the first week. mine doesn’t start shedding until 1.5 weeks after the treatment.

Today I had another treatment. I don’t know what to make of this, a few spots are shedding, but the majority of the area, especially my chin, is not. I’m worried about the end results because hair is only falling out in few tiny patches.

What you are experiencing is not completely abnormal. Whenever I was having LHR, my hair fell out in patches and patches only. There were some spots where hair consistently shed and some where it had no effects. (After five treatments I decided I didn’t want to look like a mangy dog and quit so I could save money for electrolysis.) Some of the patches are still slighty there, but for the most part they have all grown back. However, those patches do grow in at a slower rate now than other parts, if thats any consolation…

Shaving has helped shedding for me, but it has to be a blade! The M3 Power works great for this. I waited about 2 weeks to blade shave. Two weeks after my last treatment the hairs are shedding like crazy! My beard is about 80-85% gone now! It only takes me about 3-4 minutes to shave it now. That should tell you how bad it was before.

From everything that I’ve read about laser hair removal on the beard, the diode and Nd:YAG lasers are preferable for men with really coarse beard hair. The hair follicles are deeper on the beard, the diode and Nd:YAGs penetrate deeper into the follicle than the shorter wavelength alex. You are more likely to experience blisters, swelling, and scabbing with the alex. lasers when treated at clinically effective fluences.

I could not have tolerated the alex. on my beard, the diode caused enough redness. I went with the Nd:YAG and am very happy with the results.

RJC2001

Actually I believe the diode like LightSheer can cause more scabbing and burning than alexandrite like GentleLASE since it’s a bit harder to operate. Of course, this is usually caused by the technician. Alexandrite is also a bit less painful. GentleLASE has a cryogen cooling spray that comes out right before the laser pulse that makes it a bit less painful.

I wish I knew of a place that offers Nd Yag in montreal.

Actually I believe the diode like LightSheer can cause more scabbing and burning than alexandrite like GentleLASE since it’s a bit harder to operate. Of course, this is usually caused by the technician. Alexandrite is also a bit less painful. GentleLASE has a cryogen cooling spray that comes out right before the laser pulse that makes it a bit less painful.

That has not been my experience. Maybe the lighter skin types would have a different experience. The Lightsheer has contact cooling. I found the alex to be more painful than the Lightsheer, but both I could tolerate. But I could handle the pain of the Lightsheer better at higher fluences.

RJC2001

After several trials with laser (lasted for 2 years) and very little success, I’ve decided to switch to electrolysis. I’m not sure I can keep going out looking like I have some horrid skin disease, so I’m going for the thing with guaranteed results.

At least my cheeks are almost all done, so that’s good news. I just need to save up some $$$ for electrolysis now, hope it won’t take me long.

In general how are electrolysis prices? Laser costs me about 200$ each time for upper lip and chin

You have an Apilus Academy in your city!

Unlike most people, you can get electrolysis from well trained students, or masters working on an Apilus Platinum in PicoFlash

Institut Dectro (Montréal) · Louise Lévesque, Director
3400, boulevard Poirier, Saint-Laurent (Québec) Canada H4R 2J5 · 514.856.0881
E-mail: institut-mtl@dectro.com

Sorry about your problem, but you are not alone with your results from LHR. Laser has provided great results for many - such as Hairtell’s stalwart, RJC2001 - but cannot be promised across the board. (I know this for sure, from being a disspointed “ideal candidate.”)

One thing is sure though: you are dedicated. That is exactly what the hair removal lifestyle requires. But on a much lighter note, once you begin your electrolysis course, you can take the phrase “hair removal lifestyle,” and replace the word “removal” with “free.” Best of luck.

Well Apilus said they have no students and I should try again in september. I’ll try again at that time…

I hate walking around with a patchy face. I might throw in a few more laser treatments in the meantime maybe things will get better.