Sunscreen after electrolysis

I have some questions about sunscreen use after E.
I use a very clean natural sunscreen which i like, however I’m noticing in the areas of my face where I had electrolysis recently on my sideburn area, and when I use sunscreen it seems to block the pores and I’m getting many many small blackheads in the area of the insertions.
My E, says not to use the sunscreen, she thinks it might just be irritating the area and making things worse by gucking up open pores, and healing skin. She also says that sunscreen it’s not necessary unless you’re in very strong sunlight, like at a beach. It’s true that it’s mainly overcast I’m not suntanning however there is still very strong daylight when outside, driving etc.
I wonder if having had E done if even just regular exposure to daylight without sunscreen could possibly create worse pigmenting issues? For how long after zapping is this an increased concern?
Is it better to use sunscreen and deal with getting blackheads or possibly affect healing of the areas so recently zapped ? Or while zapped areas are still in healing mode ,skip the sunscreen ,when in normal daily activities, but face the possibility of more pigmentation ? I would really love some clarification on this!

Also for the first time in about a year and a half , and since my commitment to E and LHR, I will soon be in much greater sunlight as we have a tropical vacation planned with much sea and sun. I am quite nervous about how my skin,especially my face will react post lhr and Elctrys. Any advice most appreciated!

As a reference point: I’ve been doing electrolysis for 35+ years and “seen it all.” As a blanket statement, let me contrast two (extreme) types of patients: those that do absolutely nothing to their skin after treatment, and those that feel the intense need to “do something to make it better or heal faster” and self-medicate with all types of products. Well, guess who does better?

If you guessed the ones that “do absolutely nothing,” you would be right! Some people have a neurotic need to fiddle and slather all kinds of products on their skin … skin that is TRYING to heal by itself.

I don’t think anything should be put on the skin, except if there is a specific REASON for doing this. If there is a specific problem, then the product chosen should target the specific problem. If you are putting product “X” on your skin … why are you doing this? Just for the fun of it? Or somebody told you it was “good for the skin?" It might actually make things worse. And this “being worse” is often what I’ve experienced.

If you’re getting only normal sun exposure, why are you putting on sunscreen? Is it really that difficult to NOT get sunburn? You know, just avoid getting zapped by the sun! Use sunscreen when there is no other way to avoid the sun. But I’m against all the fussing that people insist on doing to “make things better.” From my experience, you aren’t really able to help the skin “heal faster” by much of anything you put on the skin. If Vitamin E is good for the skin, you would be better-off taking a vitamin E pill. You know, get the nutrients in the blood.

(If there is a real problem, however, then products can help … but why complicate your natural healing process with unnecessary “goodies?” And, you don’t need mega-vitamins for normal healing either!)

I know that what I’m saying is NOT going to register with those that feel the passionate need to fiddle. I have also discovered that people that insist they have “extremely sensitive skin,” usually don’t, and are also the “fiddlers." They cause more problems themselves. Nicely, the skin will heal in spite of the products you might be using.

To be said with a heavy New York Italian accent: “After electrolysis, just forget about it!”

Good italian !
My preference is always to have clean skin and little to nothing on it, this instinct even stronger, post zapping. However I was heeding the warnings from others ,including Jossie, that the use of sunscreen is essential ,after having a electrolysis or ones is at much greater risk of hyper pigmentation …which has been a problem for my skin for years…
I’m not trying to be complicated or fussy Michael ,I’m just trying to do the right thing and follow warnings from professionals who know more than I about post a electrolysis care!

So you say despite recent E on face ,there is need to use sunscreen during average day.
And tropical vacation, with more sun exposure, use it?

Yes … I would “go” with that.

I was not specifically (only) writing to you, Danika … but addressing a broader audience. When you have time, read the list of ingredients on common products for the skin. “Natural” products can cause problems too. Several of my clients developed a rash from Aloe … right from the garden and “organically grown.” My favorite? Soap and water.

Here’s a real laugh, seen on a very common product (check it yourself). Here’s the quotation printed on the bottle:

“In case of accidental swallowing, get medical help or contact the Poison Control Center right away.”

And, what is the product? Well, MOUTHWASH! Think about that for a minute: something we are told to use to make our teeth healthy is “poison?” So, how do you get this in your “Mundt” without swallowing a little of the stuff each time. Will using this “poison” eventually do something naughty?

But shouldn’t we protect ourself from the sun and from pigment change by using suncreen?

It’s all about moderation.

Humans evolved over the last few million years with an unmistakable relationship (physical, mental and spiritual) with the sun. Health benefits from sun-exposure are clearly documented. Health problems from too much sun-exposure are also clearly documented.

Being overly zealous with the sun is not healthy; but people sometimes get extreme in either direction: too much, or not enough.

I wear heavy sunblock when I’m out in the water (kayaking, sailing, etc.), but for normal times I wear nothing. Many leading health experts recommend a few minutes per day of full-body sun exposure (depending on your skin type and location from the equator). I do it, and I absolutely feel much better: energy, attitude, blood pressure, hormones … all of it. Oh yeah, vitamin D too.

Do you need to protect yourself from the sun 100% all the time? Well, NO! Do you need to bake yourself into a brown prune? No again.

You can easily research the internet, where you will find that sunscreen and sunblock products might be hazardous. Relying heavily on these products might cause you to be careless and therefore absorb other wavelengths of solar radiation that would not have been encountered had you simply avoided exposure altogether.

Remember when “experts” thought that UVA was safe?

Furthermore, some experts contend that ingredients in such products carry their own risk of skin cancer! I suggest using these products when your own ability to protect yourself from the sun is difficult … but not all the time and not every day.

But then, this in ONLY my opinion and I’m not a dermatologist. I do not recommend these products after electrolysis. I do recommend not getting too much sun exposure. However, using these products immediately post-treatment, slathering chemicals on your skin, doesn’t seem like a very good idea.

It’s all about moderation and “common sense.”

(Note: I see you are in Denmark. I’ve been in your neighborhood a few times and never saw the sun! If you are a native of the area, with white skin, you probably need to think about more sun exposure.)

I’ve done a lot of research into sunscreen and I agree that most of the sunscreens on the market are filled with chemicals, which ultimately harm us and the environment.

There are now a few decent ones available for example a sunscreen called green screen that contains seven very simple ingredients, the screen being zinc. This ss is safe enough to eat, and won’t damage coral reefs, water etc.

I actually really dislike sunscreen and agree completly with what you are saying Michael. The main reason I’ve been using it was reading this site, and Jossie’s warnings that after doing E, one must wear sunscreen to prevent pigmentation!
I mean if my skin was left untouched and in its natural state I wouldn’t use sunscreen but having recent E on my face makes sense that it may need some extra care?
Doesn’t it make sense to protect it for a while ? Ie. post op for eyes you might wear goggles or sunglasses, apply drops etc for a while until the eyes recover from that procedure? Of course there’s also the fact that things aren’t as natural and whole as they used to be, in that we have a thinning ozone ,ozone holes, So in what ways do we need to compensate for these changes? Sunglasses are not "natural "either but with that with these increasingly harsh conditions are they not protecting more peoples eyes from getting cataracts ? These are questions not statements!
I must admit still feel a bit confused by this And that is why I am asking for advice from the experts familiar with post care of electrolysis . Perhaps Jossie can clarify. For example how long after having had electrolysis is the skin more vulnerable to light and hyper pigmentation? At what point is it ok to consider regular routines in relation to sun exposure. This is something I really am serious interested in addressing right now with a tropical vacation coming up and a history of fairly bad melasma post sun exposure , which presently is almost gone. I’m hoping it doesn’t get worse now that I’ve had E done on my face!

I’m happy to knock this one in “Josie’s court.” (Und, sehr Frölich!)

I would only add that you have to be “your own doctor!” If you think you need it, then do it. If you get blackheads from it (as you said), well, then stop it.

You won’t “die” if you use it, and your skin will heal fine without it: it’s your skin and your choice. If you get some PIH, it always goes away. There is no single answer for everyone!

Still from my experience, “doing less is more.”

I’m remembering one of Dr. Chappel’s patients who (after a face lift) thought she had to continue her yoga (on the same day!). Result? Hematoma. Another patient felt she had to take massive amounts of Vitamin E or the skin would not heal (she was warned not to do this). Result? Hematoma. Sometimes “the doctor” is an ass!

I agree, there is nothing like water and soap. I like sea water as well, but as we can not guarantee the purity of its water, a bath of warm water with salt is an excellent substitute.

Yes, I recommend refraining from sun exposure during the time that post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is present, and is visible to the naked eye. Especially in areas of the body. For how long? it depends on how fast the healing process takes place, and the depth and location of the treated follicles. For example, it is obvious that the follicles on bikini line are deeper than the leg therefore groin require a longer time. Some of my clients are very careful with this issue, and they wear swimsuits like the ones our grandmothers wore 50 years ago, but others are not willing to sacrifice even one day longer than necessary. Then sunscreens are the only solution to avoid the red dots become brown dots.

Strongly endorse what was said by Michael, these brown spots disappear always, so there is no reason for concern. The problem is that they do not disappear until the tan is gone, and that means several months after the bathing season. Months during which you have a worried client . Some of them even interrupt treatments until they see how everything has gone. I’m not a dermatologist either, but I know they advise against sun exposure in any post-operative removal of a simple sebaceous cyst.

In any case, the application of sunscreen is not needed until 2 or 3 weeks after the session of Electrolysis.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I guess I was choosing sunscreen /blackheads over the risk of increased pigmentation as i have so recently had E done on my face! So then 2-3 weeks after E, i will consider it safe to go without sunscreen

@Michael

Okay, thanks… I am actually not a ‘full’ Dane as I am of Indian origin and thus I’m olive colored/tanned, but yeah the sun comes rarely as we got 7 months of Winter here… :stuck_out_tongue:

type in your City or Location doubt there is any need to use sunscreen in any of the green areas in fact you cant make any vitamin D there either

http://www.uvawareness.com/