Sun Light and LHR

I am thinking of doing LHR in the near future (mabey in the next couple of months or in early September. I want to know how a sun tan would affect this. I am Type I or mabey II skin. I tan in the summer, but in the winter my tan fades dramatically and I have a very white complection in the winter. (In the summer I tan very well though) I was wondering what this means for LHR. Can I do it now and get a tan after each session? Or if I do it in September I may have a little tan left from the summer (possibly more then a little tan). How is this going to affect my experience? Can it mess up my pigments if I do it with a little tan. What I really want to know is how do I go about this…can I tan this summer if I do it in September or do I have to stay out of the sun regardless of if I do it now or in September. Thanks for the help.

I tan very easily and it takes at least 3 months for it to fade enough to get laser treatments. It never totally fades though.

I have had good success getting my laser treatments in winter and spring. If I stop going out in the sun in October, I usually start treatments in January or February and continue to around memorial day if necessary. I have never had any pigmentation problems. If you get scabs the skin under the scab will be lighter until you go back out in the sun, but that is not to be confused with long term pigment changes.

Since your tan fades more quickly, you may not have to wait as long to start treatments.

You may be better off waiting until fall or winter to start LHR. Or you may want to try LHR with a Nd:YAG laser that is supposed to work well on tanned skin.

RJC2001

The less tan you have when you go for treatment, the less the likelihood of side effects such as discoloration that can last several months. Sounds like laser would be a great thing for you to do in the winter when you’re all pasty (like I always am). :wink:

Be sure to get a test patch on an unobtrusive area with any remaining tan to see how you respond before getting it on your face or other exposed areas.