Suggestions regarding Palomar StarLux IPL ?

I am a woman with facial hair on upperlip and chin. I am of Indian descent and my skin color is medium with dark hair. In the past I had a test spot done on my chin with a LightSheer laser and found it painful so did not go back for a full treatment. However, I was able to see hair fall out and clear skin on the spot that was tested on.

I got a treatment done with the new PPX technology machine called Aesthera but did not see any difference after the first treatment. There is a center in my area who have StarLux IPL and I just got a test spot done two days ago. The spot was pretty small like a tiny circle so I didn’t feel any pain…just a little pinch. They were pushing me to buy a package for a year with unlimited treatments but I am not sure if I would trust them until I see any results.

Can someone give me some suggestions if they have tried StarLux IPL before and how long it takes to see any results ? Would be greatly appreciated !

Maybe I am not the one who should be speaking about this b/c I just went in for a consultation the other day at a clinic with a Starlux IPL…
One of my concerns was follicle stimulation with treatment meaning that the IPL can actually stimulate other follicles into producing hairs, thereby exacerbating the problem. The guy, and MD said he has heard of it, but it is rare and happens usually with Middle Eastern women who get work done on their face. This is something you might want to look into, again, as I am in a pre-beginner stage with all of the Laser/IPL facts and don’t know very much.

With your skin and hair type, you should be looking into electrolysis, not laser. For some women, mostly with your decent and skin type, it can stimulate more hair to grow before it gets better, on this specific area. I wouldn’t risk it and go with electrolysis right away. (btw, out of all those machines, LightSheer would have been the best one, but I would still not recommend it in your case. IPL is a no-no for darker skin types for sure) Read the electrolysis section of this forum.

joseph, just a side note, the reason that IPLs are not as effective in general as true lasers and can actually be more dangerous, is because they heat up the entire surface, not just the hair. You can read more about that in the FAQs and on this forum if you run a search.