Sugaring recipes

A couple of recipes with tips for use. Personally, I find it hard to get the right consistency with this stuff.

Mariah’s sugaring recipe

Shireen’s sugaring recipe

Both of these recipies are great. I love how they wash off easily with warm water and soap, unlike many expensive salon/store bought waxes.
I keep a bottle of clear aloe gel in the fridge to use afterwareds.

Thanks ladies.

my mother also made a very good sugaring mixture, ill get it from her the next time i see her and post it up.

Here’s a sugaring recipe I have been using for a while. Makes enough to do both legs and bikini area.

Ingredients:
Sugar 4 cups
Lemon juice ½ cup
Water ½ cup
Glycerin 2 tablespoons

Equipment:
You will need the largest pot you can find, at least a 5 or 6 quart stock pot. This mixture boils very vigorously, and the larger the pot, the less likely you will have a boil over.

An accurate thermometer. A candy thermometer or one of those neat digital ones. The correct temperature is critical to getting the right consistency.

Wooden spoon for stirring. Metal will conduct heat, and you will be stirring the mixture continuously. Have had some cheap plastic spoons melt before.

Cloth strips about 3-4 inches wide and 5-6 inches long. I just tore up an old bed sheet and I had plenty.

Optional: Apron, safety glasses and gloves. This stuff is very hot and can cause some nasty burns.

Instructions:
Combine sugar, water and lemon juice in the pot.

Position the thermometer so that it does not touch the bottom of the pot

Bring to a boil on medium heat. After the mixture starts to boil, add the glycerin. You will need to keep stirring continuously from now on to keep it from boiling over. Reduce heat if the mixture keeps wanting to boil over.

When the temperature reaches 275 degrees Fahrenheit, remove from the heat and let cool.

If you will be using the mixture immediately, you can leave it in the pot, but let it cool to about 100 degrees or less before trying to use it. You do have an accurate thermometer… right?

If you will be storing the mixture, use plastic containers that can be microwaved. Just be sure the mixture is not too hot or it will melt them.

Instructions:

This stuff is too thick to use at room temperature, so it will need to be heated up a little bit to soften it. If the mixture is still in the pot, I just place it in the sink with hot water. If the mixture is in plastic containers, just nuke in the microwave until it warms up. It doesn’t take a lot, just 10 seconds or so for a 1 quart container. Test a small area to make sure it isn’t too hot.

For the legs, spread a layer no more than 1/8 inch thick in the direction of hair growth. The area you sugar should be longer than it is wide. Press a cloth strip into the mixture and let it cool for a minute or so to firm up. Pull the skin tight and grasp the free end of the cloth strip and pull quickly in the direction against the hair growth.

For the bikini area, apply as above, but only to smaller areas, maybe an inch or two square. The skin in this area is somewhat looser and much more sensitive. It can be difficult to get the skin tight enough when removing the hair. Treating smaller area does take more time, but does cut down on the discomfort.

Troubleshooting, correcting the mixture and other comments:

If the mixture is too thin or runny, bring it to a boil again and heat to 5 or 10 degrees above the temperature it was when removed from the heat on the initial boil. If it is still too thin, reduce the amount of glycerin in the next batch.

If the mixture is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water and bring to a boil.

If you see red bumps after removing the hair, the mixture was too warm or left on the skin too long. Bruising can occur if the skin is not tight enough when pulling the cloth strip.

Stragglers should be tweezed instead of treating the area again.

Cleanup is a cinch. Just use soap and warm water.

After care. I use pure aloe vera gel and avoid the sun for about 24 hours.

If you want to make a larger batch, decrease the glycerin, water and lemon juice a bit. Larger batches don’t need as much liquid for some reason or another.