Sugaring experiences... and eyebrows?

Okay, to start with, I’ve purchased a total of two packages of sugar wax products, both made by Sally Hansen… two different varieties, the names of which I’ve forgotten, but one was the Nad’s equivalent, I think, and the other was the regular stuff.

So, then, I finally found the recipe and made my own. It’s work, sure. But unless you’re extremely high-paid, it’s probably still better than shelling out insane amounts of money for the prepackaged stuff.

Now, as far as the stuff itself. I’ve never had any real problem applying it or yanking it off. The hair does have to be kinda long to get it to pull off, but I don’t stress too much over that. My main problem is that I tend to do it in little patches, instead of all at once, so I kinda have patchwork legs now.

Whoops!

I haven’t been doing it long enough to notice any significant difference in my hair, except that some of it does seem to be growing slower than other parts right now, which does seem to indicate that it does something. When I shaved, the growth was relatively uniform. I’m seriously considering buying some of the Jergens lotion to try with it, because I lotion my legs anyway, so it has a potential to help and can’t possibly hurt.

But besides my personal experience, I do have a question. Does anybody here sugar/wax their eyebrows at home? And if so, how do you go about doing it and not having it look terrible?

Thanks for the post, Corvaith-- good report.

As far as waxing brows at home, this is VERY hard to do. If tiy have a monobrow or something, a little wax to get most of the stragglers might be OK, but for any hairs that are near the ones you want to keep, you’re better off plucking. Even one or two hairs can make a big difference in how your brows look, so it’s better to fine tune things one hair at a time.

Well, I’ve been doing them to a certain degree already, and they look okay, but I’ve been trying to figure out a better way of spreading the paste so that it’s more precise. Since I’m still refining my recipe, though, it’s difficult. :smile: My last try seemed to do well, though.

I know a lot of people have said that Nad’s, and similar things, are difficult and messy and all that in general… and thus far, it seems to be mostly a matter of practicing. Learning the right way to spread the stuff, the right angle to pull it off, the right way to make it for the way you’re using it. My first batch turned out to work nicely stripless. Except that I didn’t want stripless. Whoops. The latest batch required scraping it all back into the pan and reheating it so it’d solidify enough, but is working fabulously so far, aside from that initial time investment.

I’m kinda sorry to see all the negative reports I always see… but I think maybe they wouldn’t be so bad if more people made their own. Yes, it’s kinda hard, but I feel a lot more comfortable experimenting when I know that my whole batch just cost me a couple cups of sugar, a little lemon juice, and a tea bag. :smile:

But I’ve always been one to play with these things to figure out how to make it work best to me. I think that’s the best attitude to take, with any method.

The trick is not to apply it too thick-- smashing the strips in can mess up your precise line and take the wrong hairs out. Really thin near the line, thicker as you move away from the hair you want to keep.