Sugaring advice

I’m new to sugaring. I’ve been trying to perfect my recipe and technique for about a week now, and while I’m having some luck, I’m still also having problems.

I believe I have the recipe right (2 c water, 1/4 c lemon juice, 1/4 cup water, cooked to 250 F), though I’m debating trying to cook it only to the soft ball stage to see if it helps.

The biggest problem I’m having is the paste simply will not stick to all of my hair. I wash prior to using the paste, and apply talc but it doesn’t make a difference. My hair is between 1/8 and 1/4 inch long in most places, longer in others.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Same recipe I used… it worked for me, I didn’t have a thermometer though so I had to just test the mixture by dropping a bit into a cup of water.

I found it stuck to my hair, but it definitely needs to be warm and pliable still - once it cooled down it was pretty much useless. There only seems to be a small gap where it’s too cool to burn you and warm enough to stick :confused: maybe make sure its warm enough? Maybe the hairs that are an 1/8th long are too short?

Also; I have just started using the sugaring technique rather than using it like a wax.

I had to reboil my mixture until it was a darker colour. It was then way too thick, so I heated the mix in the microwave until it was softer, added a very small amount of water and mixed it all in. I found that at about body temperature, the sugar mixture becomes pliable and easy to work with, but not too sticky.

I do it on my arms… I first take a ball, then starting at the bottom of the area, spread it upwards with my fingers while resting my arm on my knee so that the skin is taut. You need to spread it on the opposite direction of the hair growth.

Then, using a kind of “flicking” motion, and still holding skin taut, flick the sugar paste back, in the direction of hair growth. I found this way caught almost all the hairs, unlike the waxing technique where many hairs remained. It was also gentler, and used A LOT less paste. I just reused the ball over and over until it became useless. To do my arms, then, I only needed like 4 balls of paste (rolling out to an area of about 1 by 2 inches or so).

This technique, for me, definitely did pick up the shorter hairs.

First: You all need to use a candy thermometer to get consistent result. They are only $3 at walmart. Nothing else is going to cut it.

Second: make up a batch and systematically remove and save some solution at 1-2°F intervals. Label these samples and let them cool. Use each sample and find the one you like the best. And then use that as your exact ending temperature to make a real batch.