Success with One-Touch / Clean-and-Easy Electrolysis with Foot Sponge Modification

Hi everyone! I am posting this because I was looking for information when I got this device and couldn’t find as much info as I’d have liked, so maybe this will help someone else in the future.

Before I go into detail: I am not a professional or even an expert, but I do think this device works and I feel I am making really good progress. I used to use the machine to treat 15+ hairs every couple days, and I now (a couple months on) treat a few hairs per week.

However, it’s like buttering bread with a machete - it’ll work, but you have to be careful.

So, I wouldn’t recommend it outright and would recommend starting with professional electrolysis. I had tried the One-Touch about 15 years ago and found it impossible to use and gave up, and pursued competent, professional electrolysis for years, but was still experiencing continual regrowth on my chin and throat (which I don’t think is the hairs growing back, but vellus hairs turning terminal over time.) Between COVID restrictions, the ongoing expense, the time commitment, and the feelings of dejection, and the fact that I was nevertheless dealing with a finite number of hairs that I could see and reach, I decided to give DIY another go.

What I found impossible about using this machine in the past was:
The probes always bent, and I was spending more on new probes than I would have on professional electrolysis.
Remedy: Use tweezers to straighten small kinks, and change the insertion angle to deal with large bends in the probe. Can’t believe that didn’t occur to me the first time around. I am still using the first probe that came with the machine.

Scarring and damage. I had to burn the crap out of the follicle to get the hairs to release.
The scarring is no longer visible, but it wasn’t a great scene at the time.
Remedy: Treat the area as recommended (15 seconds or so), but do not try to pull the hair immediately. Give it 5-10 minutes between zapping and pulling, giving the lye produced in the follicle more time to kill the follicle. I do this by zapping all the hairs in the area, then taking a short break, then attempting to pull the hairs. I will repeat this process once or twice in a session and by the end, most or all hairs have slid out easily.
With good magnification and light, you can usually tell when a follicle is getting angry enough to stab - you can see the hole will get bigger and redder. If you see this, stop trying to treat that hair.
I still get the occasional scab (though I usually see it coming, but I’m stubborn), and of course redness and swelling, but it’s not very bad at all, and usually fades within a few days.

The worst part about this machine is the salt water fingers.
You need to touch the metal strip with salty wet fingers to complete the circuit, right? But positioning your wet fingers on the metal strip after insertion means you have to dip your fingers, change your grip and look down, meaning you might lose your grip, insertion location, or bend the probe.
Inserting the probe with your fingers already wet means the probe is live when you insert it, causing damage.
And, the salt water runs everywhere and cause corrosion and damage.

I had heard about the foot sponge modification but couldn’t find any instructions. I tried doing it based off what little I know about electrical stuff, and it worked a charm.

It’s very simple. Here’s how to do it:

Equipment needed:

• A plain sponge, preferably a large one, soaked in salty water (ocean-ish salty) (tip: once soaked in salt water, store it in the fridge in a ziplock so you don’t need to make new salt water every time)
  • A non-metal plate (like a salad plate or some kind of tray, to put the sponge on and keep your floor from getting wet)
  • One alligator clip and a screwdriver to loosen the screw on the clip.
  • Electrical tape
  • Wire strippers
  • About 6’ (or enough to reach from the table your machine will rest on, to the floor, plus a couple more feet for slack) of SPT-1 zip cord.
    This cord is just simple, cheap cord often used for lamps and other small electronics. It’s two wires coated in a plasticky material that are kind of stuck together (google it and you’ll see exactly what I mean.)

Instructions:
Take the cord and separate the two halves, lengthwise. It should peel apart easily, into two long cords. You only need one of these cords.
Using the wire strippers, strip about an inch of wire at each end of the cord.
Take one end of bare wire and thread it through the tube in the handle of the alligator clip, wrap the wire around the post of the loosened screw, and tighten the screw to hold in place.
You should end up with something like this:
IMG_3967

Wrap electrical tape around the bare wire and base of the alligator clip (but obviously, not so much that you can’t open/close it anymore.)

Place your plate on the floor and put the salty wet sponge on the plate.
Clamp your alligator clip anywhere on the sponge.

Take the other end of the cord (the end without the alligator clip), which should have about an inch of wire of bare wire exposed.
Place that bare wire on the little metal strip in the middle of the One-Touch machine, and use a piece of electrical tape to cover the wire and strip.

That’s it! You can now complete the circuit by touching your foot to the wet sponge (insert the probe first, then step on the sponge,) instead of touching salt fingers to the metal strip on the handpiece.

This frees up your hands to hold the skin taught and manipulate the handpiece, and keeps salt water off your machine.

Anyway, these modifications and tips made the machine far easier to use for me, and I hope this can help someone have better success with this machine.

2 Likes

I read somewhere where someone wrapped the plate in a baby wipe or similar (no alcohol) and they placed it under their thigh as they sat on it.

I can’t confirm if that does indeed work well but I thought I would mention it to you. Have you heard of this method?

I haven’t tried that or heard of it. I feel like it would be more difficult to operate it by moving your full leg up and down rather than just use your foot (but I have big thighs so I would need to list my whole leg up quite a ways to break contact, requiring my core muscles to engage and possibly move my upper body - if you could lift your thigh enough by just lifting your heel but leaving your toes on the floor, it would likely work just wine.) I’m not sure why the baby wipe - would it be to not get salt water on your skin? I just wonder if it would effect conductivity. The salt water has never bothered my foot but I suppose it might be irritating for some.

The only other positioning I’ve tried is when I was running some tests on my bikini area. In that case I was sitting upright, but with my legs stretched out on a footstool. I put the plate&sponge on the footstool and held my foot over it, using my heel to make contact with it.

I’ve found even small body movements can affect the positioning of the probe, and the foot seems to be the body part I can move easily (to make contact with the sponge) without my hands or body jostling a bit.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this tutorial, @Miramooke!

I will purchase this device and came to see if it worked. Reading your post, it seems it works and with your tip, it’ll be easier to learn.

Do you think hair on the legs are good for learning to insert the tip in the hair follicle?

I do professional electrolysis in a clinic, but can’t afford all the hairy parts. It’s too expensive.

Sorry for the delay in responding to you! In case you haven’t tried yet, I had a heck of a time practicing on other body parts. I’m not sure why, I just couldn’t manage to get the probe inserted. Maybe a long history of plucking my face left the follicles “looser”?

Anyway, I don’t think practicing on other body parts is all that necessary. Especially since you have experience with electrolysis. As long as you’re careful, you won’t do much damage to your skin. At worst, a small scab that heals quickly.

And as a general update - my chin/throat is now essentially clear! Once a month or so I treat maybe 2-3 hairs - either stragglers or vellus hairs that are becoming terminal.

Considering I have several years and thousands of dollars of electrolysis and laser hair removal behind me to seemingly no avail, I’m surprised and thrilled to have finished my face in a few months with the one-touch. First time in my life I’ve been able to just forget about facial hair for weeks on end.

Do you need also for your facial hairs 2-3 runs to get the Hairs away?. ( i mean for 1 hair)… like put the needle inside… it dont work…put inside again…dont work…and so far.
I saw some videos, of peoples who use it long…long time.
They need for 1 Hair like 40 Seconds +/-.

I know its Galavanic and need longer.
But honestly you could remove this pen totally … i mean you must hold your hand still for long time.

I saw some videos of PURE GALVANIC Electrolysis Machines so no Thermolysis , no Blend , No Flash.
They worked a bit other.
They Had little needles , more as 1 one like 4-5-6 . They was putted in the hairfolicle . They waited like xx Seconds (1 minute or so)… And than the needle was taken out and the hairs also.

I think like this with Maybe maximum 2 Needles by Clean & Easy would make more sense. As Modification.

i mean this (if you skip post of the video… you see the treatments). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWMA_RfmOes

“Do you need also for your facial hairs 2-3 runs to get the Hairs away?”
Sometimes, but not always. My method is to zap each follicle for about 20-30 seconds (give or take… until I get bored), but not pull the hair yet and keep doing this for all the hairs until I’m done the area. Then I wait a couple minutes and go back and try to pull the hairs. I find waiting a bit allows more hairs to be released after the first zap. I repeat the process on any hairs that didn’t slide out the first time. I’d say maybe 60-70% of hairs come out on the first go, and most of the rest on the second go.

So yes, it can take 40+ seconds in total for each hair. I usually prop my hand against my face while zapping. It can get a little boring counting to 20 each time, but I do it in front of the TV with a glass of wine so it is really not too onerous. At first, each session would take maybe 1-2 hours (with breaks between passes so actual zapping time is less) but it dropped off dramatically after the first month or so. The most uncomfortable part was my back and neck, since I was slouching down to see into the mirror on my coffee table (not the best setup!)

I checked out the video you posted - part of the challenge with that would be holding your head still while working in a mirror and doing multiple insertions. If you could modify the pen and set up a contraption, it might work on legs or something, an area you can see and manipulate and keep still. Though yet another issue is the One-Touch probes are SO delicate. They bend so easily, I’d be afraid that they would bend if I didn’t hold them in place the entire time.

1 Like

Thx for the Answer.

I saw so much Points that would bother me by Clean&Easy.

Saw Bad Reviews because the Pen, even some modify the Pen by Amazon on the websites.

That the treatments for the hairs need long its not the point,…its because Galavanic… that need so long.
But sometimes not, i saw by a indian electrologist can need by nose/facial hairs also like 6 second arround.

You can Modify there General some Things.

1. it exist Block Batteries like you need , rechargable with USB C (to charge).
    Even it exist Adapter with socket adapter like you could completly put the Machine on the socket. But i must say also you should focus than… try find a 10-15 Watt Adapter , like low Power. That it not become dangerous.

2. You can also with some electronic knowledge , its Not Hard to do . You could buy from Sterex or Sillhoutte or any other brand a Needle holder and replace it even wit cable. Its usual not a big deal to do.

3. think if you lay /sit with backrest /headrest and do it like this maybe better.

Even thought about something that you could easily reach /See throat area . You need a Big Mirror with zoom. the problem is the beauty mirrors are so small. If you would put maybe 1 over the other one . You could see more . Like 50-60 cm tall and like 15-20 wide. Could help i think.

I look actually for Brands for a Real Machine for DIY

Within now in Europe from UK : SIlhoutte EPIL 200 looks most comfy with delivery cost <1000 Euro 980 or so. (kinda 1000 usd).

Got Galavanic / Diathermy/thermolysis and you can mix both to BLEND!!! and you got a Timer like you can set it how you want /need it.

Ahhh

Also I remember by Clean& Easy the problem there is the needles are for some area shitty.

You could also replace the needle like something from Silhoutte / Balette . They are cheaper than the replacement one for clean&Easy.

You pay for 25 or 25 <45 euro

Like 50-60 cm tall and like 15-20 wide.

So another issue here is the nature of magnifying mirrors. You can really only see and focus on one small area - because the glass is curved, anything that’s not in the very centre of the mirror is blurry or distorted. I think it could work if you had a lot of hairs very close together so that you can focus on one tiny area at a time, however in my case I had been plucking for so long that all my hairs were on different cycles and active growth was scattered all over my chin/neck/throat area.

A proper rechargeable battery would be a great modification! The problem with the 9Vs is when they start to die, you don’t really know. I would be trying to treat hairs and suddenly it was like the treatment wasn’t working - I could still hear and feel the electricity, but obviously it just wasn’t strong enough. Eventually I figured out that if most of the hairs weren’t coming out easily, the battery was dying.

I had read about modifying the tip with better probes. I meant to try it but never needed to - although I did bend my probes a few times I was able to bend them back and didn’t need to buy anymore, and they seemed to “fit” my follicles well.

For positioning, if I had to set up to optimize comfort, I would probably do it seated at a desk, where the mirror could be more or less level with my face. You will still need to lean forward towards the mirror (you need to be an inch or so away from it to see the magnified portion properly) but sitting up straight would have helped. But then, I couldn’t have watched TV from my rocking chair, which is a comfort in itself!

Honestly, I wish they would re-design the Clean&Easy machine. Not in any huge way, but maybe just to make the foot pedal standard and have a recharcheable battery, and have better, and a wider variety, of probes available for it.

To a point, it can be done with mirrors if you have good eyes. I have a LED ring magnifying glass that I can position anywhere. A 15cm 7X mirror stuck to it with suction cups. I lay on my back under it and have done most of my face.
The issue is seeing with both eyes for depth perception. The farther from the center of your face the harder to see with both eyes. I’ve done everything but, sideburns close to ears, corner of jaw, and throat. I don’t think those areas will ever be done, unless some one else does it.

Honestly Foot switch isnt necessary.

If it would exist something better . I mean could even cost 200-350 USD .

It exist needleholder with Buttons , silhoutte got them. Its same like footswitch. Would be allready fine.

A Good Needleholder.

And i think even With socket electrcity more lower power. like <15 watt.

Also if they would let the strength of this machine in more common way. I mean that peoples not hur tthem self bad. Like MAXIMUM Strength to 4-5 ,instead of 10, could be also good.

Even the tweezer there is totally useless exist, some better one for some euro.

Even theoretical, should possible put a MINI LED Lamp on the needleholder., that you see what you do , but not not necessary.

Oh gosh yes the sideburns are tough! I couldn’t properly focus on them. Same as the stragglers lower down on my neck. I did manage to get most of them with a lot of skin-stretching, trial and error and a bit of luck. I’m not sure how you’d really focus on those areas - some kind of camera with a macro lens or something I guess.

Actually I’ve had more hours of professional electrolysis than I have with the One-Touch. I switched to the One Touch in part because I gave up on electrolysis after all that time and money.

Foot switch is definitely necessary to use the One Touch longterm. The salt water is corrosive and will damage the touch plate over time without one. It doesn’t have to be expensive - I say “foot pedal” but it’s actually just a sponge and some plain wire. The machine could just come with a wire and a clamp to be attached to a sponge by the user. Actually they could probably add that, take away those awful tweezers, and it would cost less to make!

I usually used power 8-9 or so would not decrease the max power. A light on the pen would actually be amazing - sometimes it’s hard to angle the lamp properly.

1 Like