Struggling to stay calm - Advice appreciated

Hi everyone,

These forums have had great advice so I decided (as a long time reader) to share a little.

I have started electrolysis in March to try and finally tackle my excess hair problem. I am pale with dark hair and have always had more fine body hairs than other from I was very young. I remember a girl in school telling a 5 year old me, my legs were like a mans! The doctor told my mother when I was 4 that I was just underweight and the hair kept me warm…I still have hair on my arms that is a lot darker than other girls I know and my back but because it has always been there I can accept it.
However at 19 I started noticing hairs on my chest and face. Then at 21, the hairs darkened and thickened very badly on my inner thighs and abdomen. Now I am 22 and I feel like every hair on my body is getting coarser.
I am trying to stay on top of it with electrolysis but it is draining me financially. Also, I have become obsessive about studying every inch of my body and the hair. I panic that I am doing electrolysis wrong, or not enough, and it will never work for me.
Dr says my hormone levels are normal but my sister with some hair issues (though not as bad as mine) has been diagnosed with PCOS. My mum has also told me that even if I had a positive outcome with electrolysis, getting pregnant or hormonal surges later in life would probably provoke more hair growth.
Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? :frowning: I am sorry to go on but everytime I feel like I am making progress, my doubts and worries pull me right back into depression and obsession :frowning: I feel like my life is on pause while I try to manage this.

Tell us about your treatment schedule, and the progress you have made. Generally subsequent hair growths due to hormonal changes, are not a fraction of the initial growth, unless you acquire an uncommon illness, or take hormones or medications for serious health complaints. I am just trying to establish, if you are experiencing normal progress from your treatments.

thanks so much for your reply. I am not taking any medications at all, have given up on doctors!

I started in March 2011 on my cheeks/chin and this is where I have noticed the greatest improvement. Sometimes a month - 6 weeks without any hair but then when they do grow back it seems as much as before. I have been getting treatments on my chest and abdomen since June of this year and this is the area showing little improvement. Now I have started electrolysis on my thighs and I am just so worried I’m trying to tackle too much. I am booked in for weekly 45 minute sessions up until Christmas and have never left it longer than 2 weeks since starting in March. I don’t pluck or wax the hair at all either. Hoping I will see the difference in 2012 if I persevere!

thank you again so much for replying x

How long a session does it now take to clear the cheeks and chin areas, compared to how long this took at the outset of your treatment? How often did you have this treated, compared to now, lasting for up to 6 weeks? This is the only way we can assess your progress ,and ensure that all is proceeding as it should. Sometimes, clients need to be reminded of how the schedule has changed, so they can apreciate the progress they have made.

well hairs that did not bother me when I first started going on my cheeks have begun to darken. I went for isolated coarse hairs and ignored the finer, fuzzier hair but it has started to darken due to hormone issues I think.
However, you are right to point out this positive to me. My face gets touched up when I go for my bigger area appointments and takes about 10 minutes. It always took about 15, so it is a small amount reduced!
Thanks

Did you have any LHR prior to commensing electrolysis treatment?