starting spiro again

I am hoping to get back on sprironolactone again and wondering if 50mg a day will do any good. Does it need to be at least 100mg a day or even more to help facial hair growth (mostly chin and neck but cheeks and upper lip too)? I was only on 25mg before (can’t remember if it was once or twice a day). I read here that btwn 100-300mg a day is best depending on how severe the hirsutism. I want to know how much to ask for. Does anyone have advice?

Also is spiro good for all hirsutism, whether it be genetic, hormonal/PCOS? I think I may fit all these categories but not sure about the PCOS.

alli

Spiro is only good for androgenic hirsutism, which is usually what it is. If you were born with a lot of vellus hair, like my daughter has, that will not be helped with Spiro. She’s got it all over her back, but it’s really light. Again, no androgen involvement there. PCOS is hormonal, Spiro can help with that–just as it can help with androgen sensitivity.

You will need at least 100 mg/day… but I daresay you will need 200 mg/day. Start out slowly and you shouldn’t have side effects. Start with 25 mg for a few days, then 50 mg per day for a few days(divided), then 100 for a week or two, then 150-200 mg/day after that from then on. Best taken with food, but not necessary.

For people who only need it for acne or oily skin/scalp, 50 mg/day is sufficient. That small amount is not sufficient for hirsutism.