Starting HRT during electrolysis

Hi I am 50-year-old female. I started electrolysis for chin and neck hair in May. I have been vigilant in keeping appointments. I have had 6 treatments - 45 mins to clear hair for the first 5 treatments and reduced to 30 mins on my 6th. I am pleased with the results thus far. The problem is I am undergoing symptoms of menopause (brain fog) and have been prescribed HRT by my GP I have not started it yet. Will this impact upon my treatment? will my hair growth decrease and therefore not be visible and would this mean when I stop taking HRT at a later date that I will need to re start electrolysis again

In my experience HRT improves skin quality. There’ s no concern from taking estrogen supplements, at leastr from an electrolysis standpoint. I treat transgender people on HRT every single day.

Hi thanks for your reply. My concerns are more based on the fact that HRT may reduce hair growth and therefore will remain untreated due to not being visible - which may mean I have to start my electrolysis journey again when I stop HRT - sorry if my questions lack clarity or may not have worded them particularly well

Estrogen on its own doesnt reduce hair growth. The component of HRT which does this is a co-prescribed antiandrogen ( usually spirolactone or androcur( cyproterone))which reduces dihydratestosterone. Estrogen on its own has a negligable effect on hair growth.

I think what you’re asking is this: HRT will probably reduce my facial hair grow … lovely. However, what happens if (and when) I stop taking hormones? Will the hairs that “would have grown in” suddenly get much larger and then require I resume electrolysis [all over again?]

From my many years of experience … I would say no. Even if there was the “worst case scenario,” remember … it takes many years of “hormone exposure” for tiny hairs to develop into large terminal hairs. So, even if you stop HRT “the hairs removed from electrolysis” cannot return … and, the formation of new hairs (from tiny ones), would probably take years to develop.

Of course, you also have to weigh the medical benefit of HRT against cosmetic concerns. From your original post, you don’t seem to have a significant problem; I’m guessing some chin hairs and a few “whiskers” at the corners of your lips?

Your question, however, is a very good one. Indeed, men who take medication for baldness WILL see their newly re-grown hairs “fall out” if they stop taking the medication. Exactly how the cessation of HRT might affect women’s facial hair growth is something that I’ve not read about in medical journals. At least, not yet!

Thanks, Bono, for your response. I guess time will tell.