Spaweek is in New York and I have a choice of lasers, which one?

Should I use for my underarms? I am a color type III with very very dark hair, almost black.

My choices are:

Candela GentleLase
Candela GentleYag
IPL
Quadra Q4 Pulsed Light
Aurora
Diode Light Sheer

I cannot attest to how good the practioners are, but some are reputable, do not know about the rest.
And what about for bikini line or face?

By the way, I am formerly ‘Tonic’ on this website from years ago.

GentleLASE or LightSheer are best for you. Experience of practitioner matters between the two. Also, 2 reputable places in NYC that are often recommended here are Lynda and Romeo/Juliet. Lynda uses a LightSheer i think and Romeo GentleLASE and Apogee Elite (alex and yag).

bikini will be fine with laser, as well as underarms (since hair is coarse). with facial hair, it depends on the type and amount of hair you have. electrolysis might be better. What kind of facial hair? Are you male or female?

Lightsheer for the underams and other body parts. Gentleyag for the face.

RJC2001

GentleLASE or LightSheer are best for you. Experience of practitioner matters between the two. Also, 2 reputable places in NYC that are often recommended here are Lynda and Romeo/Juliet. Lynda uses a LightSheer i think and Romeo GentleLASE and Apogee Elite (alex and yag).

bikini will be fine with laser, as well as underarms (since hair is coarse). with facial hair, it depends on the type and amount of hair you have. electrolysis might be better. What kind of facial hair? Are you male or female?

Hello. I am female. The hairs on my cheeks are small but not vellus. They make small black dots on my face that can be squeezed out, and plucked out when they have a small hair coming out, but are not black heads. I have tried to have electrolysis there, but it creates breakouts (I have had electrolysis on my lip, chin and bikini line, and those coarser hairs do not present that problem.

My face is a IV, my underarms are much lighter. I used the Diode laser on my brazilian area, the pain was almost unbearable so I stopped treatment. But I will be willing to try again for underarms.

THere is a place during spa week that does use the GentleLase, and one that uses the Diode, so I can go with those places, for only $50!

www.spaweek.com

Lightsheer for the underams and other body parts. Gentleyag for the face.

RJC2001

Hi there, thank you. I have had IPL on my underarms and it worked great, even though it is not the best method I understand. I did it once and it lasted for 3 months. Then again a few months later and it lasted for months as well, so hopefully that means I will respond even better to Diode, although if I achieved the same results, hair free for 3 or 4 monhts, that would be fine for me. Do the gentleyag and gentlelase work the same way as the diode in terms of the pulsing? Beep, beep, beep as the practition drags the gun or whatever over the skin? I like IPL because they hit it all and it did not end up patchy. I cannot afford a series right now, and since treatments are only $50 during spa week I would like to get a full clearing so that I can enjoy a hair free Spring. What are your thoughts? tia.

I wouldn’t do laser on your face on finer hairs. Laser works best on coarse hair and some women here have reported laesr-induced growth on that area when treating finer hair. What electrolysis method did you use? What kind of after-care?

I wouldn’t do laser on your face on finer hairs. Laser works best on coarse hair and some women here have reported laesr-induced growth on that area when treating finer hair. What electrolysis method did you use? What kind of after-care?

For the hairs on my upper cheeks i did flash method by Lucy Peters. At first I was using warm/hot compresses, those made things worse. When I stopped things were better, but still turned into break outs. These stupid dots make my skin so unsmooth feeling and so uneven looking in tone, I really hate them.

When I did my chin and bikini line I used Galvanic I think, or maybe it was blend, I don’t remember, but my practitioner was wonderful and the hairs did not ever come back. But he no longer practices and I do not know who else to go to in NYC. Lucy Peters is unbelievably expensive.

try electrolysisreferral.com or look on the electrolysis part of this forum.

for best results with laser, you need to follow the treatment schedule for at least 4-5 treatments on your underarms. you need to catch hairs in growing phase. Whether the patches are missed depends on the tech’s skill, not on the laser used. For a small area like underarms, it shouldn’t be much of an issue. I had great results there too with GentleLASE. A Yag laser should only be used if your skin is darker than type IV. If it’s not, alex or diode will work better and faster.

try electrolysisreferral.com or look on the electrolysis part of this forum.

for best results with laser, you need to follow the treatment schedule for at least 4-5 treatments on your underarms. you need to catch hairs in growing phase. Whether the patches are missed depends on the tech’s skill, not on the laser used. For a small area like underarms, it shouldn’t be much of an issue. I had great results there too with GentleLASE. A Yag laser should only be used if your skin is darker than type IV. If it’s not, alex or diode will work better and faster.

Thank you. I will change my appt from the place with the gentlelase (is a yag, right?) to the place with the diode. I am a IV, but my underarms are lighter, so I am assuming they are a 3.

When I did the IPL, it was wierd, because I had no growth until 2 months later, which I would not expect because there should have been hairs that were not caught in the growing stage, but whatever. I got lucky for some reason.

that just means your hair grows at a slower rate, which is good for you. 2 months is about 8-9 weeks, which is about the right time between treatments. you should be going in for treatments as soon as you see enough regrowth to jsutify treatment, which is normally 8-10 weeks post treatment.

GentleLASE is an alexandrite, best for skin types I-III. GentleYAG is a Yag laser best for skin types IV and darker. LightSheer is a diode, best for types I-IV. Between LightSheer and GentleLASE, like I said before, I would go with whoever is a better and more experienced tech.