Sona Laser Center

Has anyone else had experience at Sona?

I completed 5 treatments on my whole body, but I am not very pleased with the results.

yeah i’m not too pleased either, i had my back , stomach, and bikini… i’m pleased w/ the bikini for now, but usually it seems to grow back totally, i had my last treatment end of march, so far so good, but i plan on complaining to at least get 1 or 2 more treatments, but i prob will just stop going there and stay with american laser centers, i’ve had good results with them

What laser do they use at Sona? If your hair got finer after your first few treatments, you are probably better off being treated with a diode laser like the Lightsheer. Of course, competence of the practitioner is just as important as the device being used. Maybe you are being undertreated at Sona. My practitioner says that that Meladine stuff they use doesn’t work very well.

RJC2001

The Apogee Alexandrite, Yag, and some centers have the Sonata IPL. If the practitioner knows what s/he is doing, however, than finer hair shouldn’t be a problem. The settings do need to be changed though.

The Sonata is a diode laser for hair removal. Orion, which manufactures the Sonata, also manufactures the Harmony, which does use IPL for hair removal. My practitioner is thinking about the Harmony, but I don’t see where the IPL would be that effective for hair removal, it only goes up to 20J. The Harmony rep claims it is better than other IPL systems, but I don’t see how.

Does IPL work on fine hair? I had limited success with the Aurora and it had the advantage of IPL combined with RF. I think laser has been more effective for me. The Aurora did clear some white hairs though, that laser cannot do.

RJC2001

They used both the Apogee and Yag laser on me. The apogee was on the fine hair and the Yag was on the coarser hair.

My best results were on my armpits. My worst results on my face.

Is Lightsheer better on fine hair?

They used both the Apogee and Yag laser on me. The apogee was on the fine hair and the Yag was on the coarser hair.

My best results were on my armpits. My worst results on my face.

Is Lightsheer better on fine hair?

Absolutely! There is no question in my mind that the Lightsheer is better on fine hair than the Apogee. And it is the equal of the Nd:YAG on fine hair. With olive skin, I would think the Apogee would not be all that great. Did you have any scabbing or blisters with the Apogee? If I had to choose between the Apogee and Lightsheer, the Lightsheer wins hands down! Depending on your skin though, the Nd:YAG is the best for darker skin.

I have had excellent results with the Lyra-i Nd:YAG on my (male) beard. I don’t think I could have tolerated any other laser there. The Nd:YAG is very good about not scabbing and not causing redness. Doing the beard is tricky and practitioner skill is paramount. My practitioner has about 8 years experience doing this and it makes all the difference.

RJC2001

Not sure which Apogee you are talking about, but Apogee Elite has both a Yag and an alexandrite setting. Also, Yag lasers work best on dark coarse hair, they are not very good on fine hair since they are made for more sensitive to laser, darker skin types. The strongest settings are on Alexandrite (like GentleLASE) and Diode (like LightSheer)lasers. They are best for light skin and dark hair since light skins can handle higher settings. With any laser, you will get better results on coarse hair just because there is more melanin there for the laser to target, but as the person said above, go with diode or alexandrite lasers for fine hair since yags are not powerful enough for those harder to treat fine hairs that don’t have as much melanin to attract laser. If you’re darker than a type IV though, you can only use a Yag laser.

Did you have any scabbing or blisters with the Apogee?
RJC2001

I actually didn’t have any scabbing or blisters with the Apogee. The Apogee seemed to work better than the YAG on my fine hair.

I did have blistering on my armpits, which was kind of weird, because they used the YAG there.

Overall, is it more expensive to do electrolysis or laser?