Smooth away pads?

Has anybody tried these? I’m a guy with thick hair and I was hoping to use them on my arms to smooth the regrowth on my upper arms between electrolysis treatments. They look like they would work for very wispy and thin hair that most gals have, but was wondering if they work? I’ve read some good and bad things about them on yahoo answers.

Because of all the commercials, I’ve had many clients ask me about this product. Here’s a review for those of you that may be interested: http://doesitwork.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/03/05/1823172.aspx

SMOOTH AWAY YIELDS SOME HAIRY RESULTS
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 8:12 PM

By Anna Chan, health editor

What it is: Smooth Away ($14.99 plus $6.99 shipping/handling from www.getsmoothaway.com)

What it claims to do: Buff away unwanted hair and leave skin “so soft and incredibly smooth.” According to the Web site, the Smooth Away pads are covered with superfine crystals that easily, safely, painlessly and quickly remove unwanted hair and exfoliate dead skin cells.

IdeaVillage Products Corp.

My experience: I hate to admit it, but I’ve been a girl of the more hirsute sort since I can remember, and my excess hair caused me great embarrassment as a child. I tried many hair removal products in my teen years, hoping to find something cheap that would remove hair painlessly. The products I tried usually caused me considerable amounts of pain (from waxing) or pain and very irritated skin (from smelly depilatories).

So when Smooth Away arrived at my office, I was eager to try this new miracle hair remover, which the Web site claims is the “fastest selling, most popular women’s product in Europe.” As I grabbed the gray pads that would supposedly remove hair, I noticed the very prominent 3M logo plastered all over the back. But what was even more interesting was that the pads felt a lot like smooth sandpaper.

At this point, one might put the product aside and reconsider rubbing sandpaper-like pads all over delicate skin (especially while at work), but as a desperate hairy person, I didn’t care. I removed the protective backing, stuck a large gray pad to the big pink applicator, made sure my skin was clean and rubbed the pad on the back of my left wrist as instructed, gently buffing in circular motions – first clockwise, then counterclockwise – with slight pressure.

The result after the first six circular buffs? A little bit of hair was certainly gone, but not much. Still hopeful, I repeated the motions as instructed, but by the time much of the hair on my wrist was gone, my skin was feeling a bit tingly, and I saw that the hair was certainly not well removed. Some small spots were smooth, while in other areas, the hair was barely there, but still visible if a bit shorter.

A few minutes later, it felt like I had major razor burn and my skin was quite red. As instructed, I applied moisturizer, but that didn’t help. (I missed the tip in the instructions about treating irritated skin with a milk-soaked cotton ball for a few minutes.)

After that, I lost interest in Smooth Away for a few days. When I picked it up again a few nights later, I decided to test it on my stubbly left leg. (Hey, it’s winter!) The experience was similar to the wrist, with a few differences. First, it took me at least a half an hour to remove what seemed like enough hair for me to be somewhat satisfied. Second, my skin was so covered in fine white “dust” (Smooth Away tells me this is exfoliated dead skin cells) by the time I was done that I couldn’t even see how much hair had been removed. Third, my skin wasn’t irritated at all this time, despite the lengthy removal process.

After a quick shower (and a shave of my right leg for comparison), I saw that not very much hair had been removed from my left leg at all. In fact, there were areas that appeared as if no hair had been removed, and my skin didn’t feel smoother from the supposed exfoliation. Meanwhile, my right leg was silky smooth and hair-free after a mere minute of shaving.

The next day, my left leg had even more stubble, while my right was still fairly smooth. Clearly, my razor won that contest.

Still curious about the pads, I went to my local home improvement store with one of them in hand. After touching countless sheets of sandpaper, I happened upon a 600 grit ultrafine sheet that felt incredibly similar to the Smooth Away. A quick test with the sandpaper (after purchasing, of course) removed more hair on my other wrist with just a few strokes than the Smooth Away did, and without any irritation. Winner this time? Sandpaper!

What the expert says: “It is a good idea for a product, but should be viewed with caution,” said Dr. Fiona Blanco, a clinical instructor of dermatology at Columbia University’s Department of Dermatology who has not tried Smooth Away. She’s not sure whether the goal of Smooth Away is to twist the hair off at skin level or whether it aims to remove it at the root, but explained that the instructed circular motions could be for snagging hairs and pulling them out by the roots.

As for the crystals the Web site mentions, Blanco said that her concern was skin irritation. “Crystals would probably exfoliate the skin, but I don’t know what the crystals are composed of so they might cause contact sensitivity,” she said. The dermatologist also noted that crystals are used in dermatology for microdermabrasion, which could explain the product’s exfoliation claim.

When I mentioned my sandpaper experiment, Blanco warned that if Smooth Away is in fact sandpaper, and we don’t know whether it is, using the product could exacerbate preexisting skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, increase risk for infection and worsen dry skin. “If the pads are very abrasive, then they could very easily cause traumatic irritation, erosions and burns to the skin,” she explained.

But even those without any skin issues should be careful, especially in the winter, Blanco said. “People tend to have dry skin in the winter secondary to decreased humidity and it may be tempting to exfoliate these dead skin cells, but this may only aggravate the condition by increasing cell turnover and irritation resulting in eczema.”

Bottom line: After experimenting with Smooth Away and sandpaper, I’m sticking to my razors, which Blanco said could probably scrape off dead skin with a close shave anyway.

But if you really want to rid yourself of excess hair, Blanco recommends laser removal, which aims to destroy the hair follicle to prevent regrowth. “That’s the best way to remove hair,” she said. “Then just moisturize and you won’t have to worry about doing anything on a weekly or biweekly basis.”

These work great for me. The secret is to buff for a very long time (like, 15 minutes) but with very little pressure. I’ve used them on my face and arms with no irritation at all, and they really did leave my skin soft and smooth. At first, it seemed like it wasn’t working (after a couple minutes, then 5 minutes, etc) but I just kept at it, all of the sudden all the hair in that area was gone.

I also have an electric buffer, I think it’s Conair maybe? Same principle with the sandpaper pads, but that one does cause irritation.

How long have you been buffing?

I got the Smooth Away pads for Christmas and have used them a few times since then. I usually just use a razor on my face because it’s a lot faster, and the arm hair doesn’t concern me enough to remove it on a regular basis. But for someone who doesn’t like the idea of shaving or who gets ingrown hairs, it seems like a good option.

Well, be careful about this. One principle we learn in electrolysis training is any procedure, used over time, where there is prolonged friction or irritation to the skin can promote hair growth.

Do you mind if I PM, Dee?

Oh, that’s fine.

How does Smooth Away work on men? I will have to try it.

http://umbstyle.com/93465.html

In case the link disappears…

Nov 17
Open Question: is smooth away a scam?
Skin and Body Add comments
i ordered smooth away (getsmoothaway.com) almost 4 weeks ago but i’ve not received anything indicating that i’ve purchased it. i read somewhere that it’s a scam. obviously if it was a scam they would use my credit card information for something, and i’ve been watching my purchases online to make sure nothing fishy is going on…but should i be concerned?
77 Responses to “Open Question: is smooth away a scam?”

1. Ashley Says:
    December 2nd, 2008 at 9:29 am

Yes they are a scam, I just received mine and it doesn’t work and they charged me twice for the purchase, it was supposed to be 14.99. I was charged 57$!

2. susan Says:
    December 4th, 2008 at 9:07 am

it was a waste of my money and it doesnt stech or cant even put it on. dont buy this. it is a scam. I am actually going to the post office to mail this back

3. lynn Says:
    December 9th, 2008 at 7:21 pm

I just got mine in the mail today! Horrible, it is like rubbing a nail file on your skin over and over! I rubbed harder thinking it would work better, now my lip is burning so bad that I apply neosporin. I actually found this web site because I was wondering what others thought. Do not waste your money

4. Jasmine Says:
    December 10th, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Everyone here is absolutely right! I got mine in the mail today as well, and these are just a bunch of pads with very cheap and extremely fine sandpaper on them. It can’t take off any hair, even thin hairs! All it does is make your skin ashy!

And like Lynn, I also found this site wondering what others thought or if they got theirs to work, at least we learned something, girls. Before I bought it I know it had mixed reviews, but this stuff is seriously cheap… I could make better pads at home …… 100% waste!

DO NOT BUY SMOOTH AWAY!! …. I’m going back to using Veet and Nair…

5. unkown guy Says:
    December 15th, 2008 at 4:09 pm

cant believe some loser would post this shit,look at the names…susan,lynn,ashley and jasmine,this is just 1 person making shit up,rumors like a bitch…

6. Alice Says:
    December 20th, 2008 at 7:23 am

After purchasing Smooth Away on line I received two emails welcoming me as a member to LeisurePlus and to Savings2Go. I later learned that I became a member simply because a screen had popped up asking if I would like a $10.00 off coupon and I clicked “Yes” — voila! I’m a member of two clubs that will place a charge on my credit card every month.

I called the number available on the Savings2Go email and informed the crass and rude rep who answered the phone that no one at either of these places would now or ever be authorized to charge anything to my credit card. She said she had removed my name from their membership lists but I’ve canceled my credit card and will receive a reissue just in case.

Can you spell SCAM?

7. Nicole Bondoc Says:
    December 23rd, 2008 at 4:52 pm

They just charged by cc for almost $90.00 and I can’t get them to return my call nor will the answer their phone. It is all automated. In addition this product is now available in the Walgreen’s drug stores.

8. Official Says:
    January 1st, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Unknown Guy,

Listen, Ms. Thing, why in the world would you be blogging on this site? You definitely don’t have a penis, so either give some constructive content or move along homeboy. What a friggin’ tool!

9. tessa Says:
    January 8th, 2009 at 11:02 am

I ordered it and haven’t recieved it yet. When ordering on there website it doesn’t give you a total when your done but 2 days later I checked the status of it and they charged me $60 for a $14.99 product all the rest was shipping costs. I am trying to get a hold of them but keep getting a recording to call back later in the week. SMOOTH AWAY IS A SCAM!!! They need to be checked out. I have been e-mailing radio stations, news stations, BBB, anywhere I can.

10. Carmen Says:
    January 8th, 2009 at 11:07 am

I ordered smooth away from getsmoothaway.com and it didn’t tell me how much the shipping would be. I then got an email confirming my order for $14.99 with a $13 shipping and handling fee and a 4-6 weeks wait. I immediately called to cancel but nobody answered. In the mean time, I found out that my credit card was charged for over $80. I finally reached someone at smooth away and cancelled my order. They said that I would receive an email confirming the cancelation. Today, I got an email saying that my order has been shipped. I have called all day and no one answers. I am so mad and frustrated!! I can’t believe I’ve been scammed!?!

11. Carmen Says:
    January 8th, 2009 at 11:13 am

Oh, and I forgot something else. I also starting getting calls from telemarketers saying that I bought a product from one of their partners (smoothaway) and I could try their product for $1. If I liked that product then they would continue to send it to me for $19 a month. So, in otherwords, they want my credit card info and if I decide that I don’t want the product, I have to cancel. Yeah right, like i would ever get anyone on the phone to cancel.

12. Jan Says:
    January 22nd, 2009 at 10:36 am

literature arriving with product says not for use by diabetics but there is no
    mention online or in the automated recording when ordering by phone. same
    troubles getting ahold of someone for refund of same double charge plus
    S&H consumer is supposed to eat. should never have been ordered in the
    first place… incomplete information. watching out for further charges.

13. Jessica Says:
    January 28th, 2009 at 12:14 am

About a month ago I bought Smooth away over the phone after I saw an ad on T.v. I was starting to wonder what was going on so I checked my bank account to see if they even charged me because I didn’t think that I did everything right. They had charged me $46.00 and I was pretty pissed, called them and of course no one was there because it was all automated. So now I am sitting here dumbfounded with a bogus charge on my account and no product. I think that I will report them to the better business beuro.

14. jsuk Says:
    January 31st, 2009 at 6:52 pm

$14.99 plus $6.99 shipping and handling. Best of all, by ordering now, we’ll include another complete set for FREE, just pay $6.99 to cover the shipping and handling! Smooth Away includes a 60-day money-back guarantee, less shipping and handling.
    Excessive rubbing or pressure when removing hair may cause abrasions/irritation to the skin

15. Report Says:
    January 31st, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has reported Smoothaway to the bureaus yet?

16. apelson Says:
    February 2nd, 2009 at 7:12 pm

yeah, we just received it today, bullshit, works just a bit, for 5 minutes, then it wears off and thats it…waste of money ((

17. aleyda Says:
    February 3rd, 2009 at 8:28 pm

i fucking lost 60 dlls and i hope they dont chargee me more. the shit doesnt even work aaahhh im so pissed now cuz you can find them in ebay for less than 5dlls !!! DONT BUYYYYY IT! go to ebay instead and type smooth away.
    dont go to that fukin page i hateeeeee you getbullshit.com i mean getrobbed.com putoss AAAAAH

18. gabby Says:
    February 8th, 2009 at 4:59 pm

does it work well??

19. alicia Says:
    February 9th, 2009 at 8:27 am

i bought it yesterday at walgrens for 10$ it doesnt work at all horrible product im glad i didnt spend that much money on it though.

20. dorthy Says:
    February 10th, 2009 at 1:38 pm

thank you letting me find out that this thinng is bad and i didnt spend the money on it , sorry for all your losses , hope you get your money back … go to your bank anf tell them and they maybe able to get it back for you

21. Patti Says:
    February 12th, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Thanks for all your input! I would have wasted my money on this. Hopefully your banks or credit card companies can get you some compensation. It’s so frustrating when you call a place and all you get is a machine.

22. Dr. Adam J. Monk Says:
    February 14th, 2009 at 4:05 am

It is a given that whether it is a “beauty” product, “wellness” product, or anything else claiming to be a substantially effortless cure for all the things we’re convinced we should fix, it should hold up to some scrutiny. The makers of this product do not post a decent enough explanation for why this works, and judging by the testimonies from all of you who have tried it/wasted money on it (sorry), this is yet another product designed to capitalize on the common fear that we’re all flawed beyond correction, unless of course we use their products. The simple fact is that dermatology is a dynamic and unfortunately somewhat of a subjective science. Hair removal is available, and can be self-administered in the correct circumstances, but consider the aspirations and effects, and draw those up in comparison to potential side-effects.

Admittedly (keep in mind that although this ad is primarily targeted towards women, it goes both ways), if you want to sport your skin, there can be several natural obstacles to the form you want to have, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you should lend yourself to considering instant-fix modifications to the way your body works. We have hair for a reason, and despite the fact that it may be a lingering relic of older genetic traits, it is natural for us. Basically, if you’re born with it, your body is built to deal with it, but that also means your body EXPECTS to deal with it. Whether or not you have hair, your body will act as though hair should be grown in certain regions. Shaving can cause ingrown hairs, yes, but if you take care to shave “with the grain,” or in other words, go from the location of the root to the extended direction of where the hair ends in any particular area, and be sure to disinfect and consistently moisturize the area on which you focus, you will be fine. Laser surgery is unbelievably expensive, and aesthetically, it can actually be more useful to trim rather than shave.
    I’m sure full Brazilians will never be gone, as they are popular, but can lead to infection (sickening to think about, but it’s better to know rather than ignore), but if you consider what you can do with your personal resources, and even a little bit of creativity, trimming can out-match any other treatment available for an investment of time rather than money. Trimming effectively can let your body react to the hair it believes it’s supposed to have in a normal way, without having a lot of it (usually less than a centimeter can substantial enough to look good, yet trick your skin into thinking it’s doing its regular job with the hair it has).
    At least while we’re in a frame of reference that includes the “crystals” used to remove hair by the “Smooth-Away” method, let’s consider that we can all afford to look up our options. Your body produces enough oils to coat your hair and insulate/prevent moisture content changes in certain areas that are critical for regulation in and under your skin. If you remove all the hair, oil production can increase, and just cause more chafing and bumps/breakouts while not necessarily doing any good. The more abrasive the method of removal, the more skin and follicle-base problems you will have.
    I’m not suggesting any particular approach to aesthetic modification, but I feel that people at least deserve to be informed. Choose wisely.

23. amanda Says:
    February 15th, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I was just about to order then I saw the reviews and read that first!! Thanks! And Ladies, just file a claim w/ your credit card company!!! That simple!! FDIC insured!!

24. Ilona Says:
    February 21st, 2009 at 2:24 am

Guys can you tell me if i can cancel my order on smooth away by phone?they charged me 60 dollars and now they shipped it i thought i canceled it online but something is not right here.Help.Please

25. priya Says:
    February 21st, 2009 at 4:51 am

What a SCAM!! Thank you all for your reviews. I was about to order online and just searched in google to find out if this really works. Instead, found lot of bad reviews and I hate to deal with fradulent CC charges. Sorry for all your losses and thanks for your reviews which saved my money.

26. Emily Says:
    February 24th, 2009 at 8:16 am

I ordered smooth away from the TV because I didn’t know they sold it in the stores and they ripped me off. They said you get the second one free, yeah right, the second one cost me the same as the first one ($14.95) which they claim is for shipping and handling which we all know it couldn’t possibly cost that much for a box as light as a feather. To top it off, it doesn’t work at all. So you tend to keep rubbing thinking your not doing it right and your face turns red but of course the hair is still there. Then you think the pad is defective so you try another one and the same thing, the hair does not come off. Big Scam and someone should get after these companies. Isn’t anything tested first?

27. Dani Says:
    February 26th, 2009 at 11:20 am

I was just about to buy this product until I read this feedback. For those who have already spent money on this piece of crap product, simply contact your cc company and tell them you are disputing the charges on the basis that the product sold to you is not what it was advertised to be, and ship it back to the morons who sold it to you as COD (cash on delivery) and include a note telling them you are not paying for their false advertising. Then file a complaint with the BBB (Better Business Bureau). Sorry to hear so many people were burned, but stand up for your rights!

28. SJ Says:
    February 27th, 2009 at 4:25 am

It’s total Crap!!! Hope I can cancell any more chgs on my credit card…….I guess I will have to call my cc company….why do they let companies like this advertize on TV? I’ve learned my lesson……Don’t buy this product and whoever is leaving those name calling messages on this site must work for the company…cause this product does NOT work…

29. stevo Says:
    February 27th, 2009 at 1:36 pm

i just found two charges for 14.95 from leisureplus and savings2go on my card, then looked back on last months card bill and found the same. I called the credit card company and disputed the charges and then called the numbers for leisure and savings2….which had never sent me a thing as far as I know and they just said they would cancel my membership and credit my card back.
    They told me that it was from an online purchase in december and low and behold there was a purchase for smothaway a bought for a gift…hmmmmm
    I wonder how many people don’t know about the charges. What a shame there are such scum bags out there!!! DONT BUY THERE PRODUCTS< DISPUTE THE CHARGES

30. Robert Graham Says:
    March 3rd, 2009 at 8:00 pm

do Not buy thIs scam. how do motherfuckers Get away with this shit?? they advertise it on tv like its leGit and just so Easy and its the complete opposite. it does not woRk and it iS just a waste of money. i’m sending mine back and they can shove it up their ass for all i care. fuck smooth-away and the dickfaces that came up with it.

31. Susan Says:
    March 17th, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I am so pissed at Smooth Away. I placed my order on 1/21/09. Today is 3/17/09. I called them three weeks ago to let them know I did not get my order. She treated me like I was lying to her. She said she would send me another one and would be there in about ten days. Well three weeks is more than ten days. I will wait till the end of the week before I call for a second time and will probably be treated like I am lying once again. Once I have read what everyone is saying about the product I would have not ordered it now. Or I would have gotten it at Walgreens not knowing that they sell it there much cheaper and no shipping charge. This place sucks big time and should be out of business!!! It’s bullshit!!!

32. Chris Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Well I purchased mine at a local drugstore (Walgreens) for $10 for 4 large pads and 4 small pads … it worked for me however I large pad will do about both legs depending on how far up you go … so it worked but the pads didn’t go as far as I thought they would.

33. Steve Says:
    March 21st, 2009 at 5:22 am

My wife just bought this at CVS for 9.99

what a complete usless product. This company should be sued for false adverising. There is know waw that the did not know that this product does not work before they shiped it

34. LUIS MONTEMAYOR Says:
    March 21st, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Yes indeed, the point of origin of this scam is: GET SMOOTH AWAY

https://www.getsmoothaway.com/ver20/index.asp

There are pop ups that even if you say NO they will subscribe you as a “member” of Leisureplus.com and to savings2go.com

Two major scam companies, we have to let the FBI know about this.

They will charge you monthly 14,95 usd so please let everyone know and stop these guys!

Luis

35. Urnewbuddee Says:
    March 23rd, 2009 at 6:52 am

i bought smooth away for $10 at bed bath & beyond. i have horrible skin, very bumpy and dry. because of my skin type, the hair on my arms tend to stand up all over the place rather than in one direction. i was trying so hard to find something to correct my skin problem. i tried all sorts of body scrubs and lotions and rubs….nothing worked. after i bought smooth away and tried it, my skin is completely smooth, 100% exfoliated, and there is no hair on my arms. i actually feel like i have normal skin now! i really think you guys are doing something wrong if it’s not working for you. if it can correct my skin problem that i haven’t been able to find a cure for my entire life, i support it and i have suggested it to others who say it works fantastic.

a bit of advice for ANYONE reading this……NEVER EVER EVER purchase anything online that directly asks for your credit information without doing an extensive background check. i’m not denying that you got scammed….but come on, be smart about this. if you see it on tv in an infomercial, it’s most likely going to end up in a convenience store or pharmacy at a much cheaper price.

next time you see something on tv you might want to purchase, go to walgreens or cvs and see if they carry it. they probably will. i think they even sell smooth away at target, now.

36. montre Says:
    March 28th, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Hello guys’ I just brought a product simular to smooth away it is called smooth legs. i got my product at a stand in a mall that dimastrated my hair came off but it took forever when i brought it home and did it myself, you had to use a circular motion and my skin is irritated and red.

37. Tiff Says:
    March 30th, 2009 at 3:05 pm

I bought this at CVS for 10 bucks, I had to use 2 pads for each leg, it took forever, (Almost 2 hrs.), and now my legs hurt. Not worth it. Just shave.

38. Starcy Says:
    April 6th, 2009 at 11:57 am

I’m sorry but Smooth Away does not work. And I knew it was too good to be true. All it is is sand paper on a holder. If you’re looking for good hair removal, don’t buy this crap.

39. me Says:
    April 21st, 2009 at 11:45 am

how can companies get away with this kind of thing…I dont get it. !! !!

40. Sharon Says:
    April 30th, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Yes, Smooth Away is a scam. They will refund the money for the product, but not the outrageous amount for the postage. They have an A rating with the BBB because they agreed to refund the the money for the prodouct. (Previusly they had an F.) What a joke!! They are making millions from unsuspecting consumers and the BBB and FTC, who I have complained to don’t care a bit.

41. smart thinker Says:
    May 5th, 2009 at 7:51 am

here’s an idea….Target has them. If you’re curious then you should’ve done a little more research. Go to the store, purchase the product (it’s $9.99 which is less than the website and there’s no S&H charge), and if you are not satisfied with it then all you have to do is take it back to the store and get your money back. It’s that simple. That way you don’t get screwed over or have to fight with people over the phone or anything. Here’s a tip….use cash. That protects your credit card number too.

42. Jennifer Says:
    May 5th, 2009 at 10:56 pm

I bought these at walgreens for 10 bucks, it worked perfect for me… Just follow the directions and it works great. No redness, no irritation, only took a few minutes to do both legs. I love it. I don’t know what everyone else’s problem is, it’s not that complicated to use.

43. The dissapointed Says:
    May 6th, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Hey everyone,
    When my gf and I bought this product today although we were very skeptical of its effect. I just used it, a couple of minutes ago, and let me tell you, my initial gut feeling was right; it’s a peace of crap!!! Yes, it is easy to use, (duh, you just rub it in), but it does not remove all the hair away, so I still have a prickly feel to it. And you can’t rub it too much cos you will get a burning sensation on your skin.
    This is too good to be true; I mean how do you expect something that works just like a razor that removes hair only on the surface, to be more effective than the wax??? The sales girl told me that the flex-crystal composition of the blah, blah, blah will work much better than the shaving will ever work and it’s a sure deal that this product will replace all other products that are commonly used in hair removal. WHATEVER…On my question, if I can return this product if I am unsatisfied with it, she said you wouldn’t want return it, when I pressured her for the answer, she said no. So much for someone who is 100% sure of their products, ha?

This is my first review that I have EVER written, and the only reason I took time to write it was that I don’t want the rest of the women to fall for this scam. Ladies, we waste enough moneys on our hair removal products and if something works for you like shaving, waxing, laser etc PLEASE do not fall for this scam and buy this product. It was only $20, but I am extremely irritated that even though I knew this was a scam, I still fell for it. I hope you don’t make the same mistake.

44. The dissapointed Says:
    May 6th, 2009 at 10:33 pm

P.S its been few hours and my skin is still red and burning.

I am sure as heck wont use this thing again, so if anyone wants to try it, i can ship it out to you at no charge cos i will throw it away.

45. The dissapointed Says:
    May 6th, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Me again….
    Was trying to file complaint wiht BBB and got this message, so we have to find other sources to compain to.
    “The BBB does not handle complaints that are due to on buyers remorse.”

46. Disbelief Says:
    May 9th, 2009 at 2:11 pm

This advertisement is running in Halifax, Nova Scotia on TV guide’s network, the channel that has the television times and channels 24/7 and likewise has 24/7 ads.
    My boyfriend had mentioned it, so when I saw it on tv I simply typed in the name of this awful sounding stuff and the word SCAM (because I am suspicious of ANYTHING that seemingly awesome) and voila.
    it’s the same thing for so many things on tv…. seriously. if you see a commercial on FOX, just type it in with the word SCAM. in google. about 90 percent of the commercials ARE scams!!! I’ve done with with many many other products from hair grow stuff to weight loss stuff
    ( i do not really need to lose weight, grow hair, or remove it as my razor does just fine and I don’t fix what’s not broke, but I do enjoy a good ol’ debunking).
    Anyway…. I’m sorry for you guys. it really really sucks to get ripped off and you just want to scream, i’ve been there, i know :frowning:
    but there’s a tip for ya if you needed a starting spot.

47. Jasmine Says:
    May 10th, 2009 at 11:36 am

I bought mines at walgreens too! no need to write a big paragraph it works!

48. Sierra Sue Says:
    May 10th, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Thanks for these comments. I was just going to place an order & am very glad you all shared!

49. Katty Says:
    May 12th, 2009 at 11:37 am

So does this thing work or not, and does it hurt?

50. Sarah Says:
    May 17th, 2009 at 3:56 pm

The biggest rip off by this merchant Smooth away is they auto subscribe you to savings2go and then you get ripped off 14.95 multiple times each month for nothing … STAY AWAY FROM smoothaway and protect yourselves from savings2go … i had to cancel my credit card to avoid charges.

51. Karen Says:
    May 19th, 2009 at 6:17 pm

SMOOTH AWAY SUCKS!!! OMG not only did it not work the company charges twice as much as they advertise. No doubt in my mind I was screwed.

52. Kate Says:
    May 25th, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I bought one at Walgreens a wile ago so I wouldn’t get overcharged on line. It made my legs feel smooth, but that’s only because the skin got softer. It only took off a few hairs, so it didn’t really do what I bought it for. It’s not good at removing hair.

53. Mary Says:
    May 27th, 2009 at 4:31 pm

This is simply a scam

These bitches are trying to put the blame on me saying I ordered 2 kits
    I had the impression I was paying $14.99 plus a $6.99 shipping and handling charge, i tried to track my order but surprise surprise i can’t track it there is no evidence of me even purchasing it…then i call my credit card company they said they have charged me $60 TWICE! I know what I clicked and there was nothing that said my total was $120….bunch of bull shit…someone needs to take them down to the authorities they simply taking peoples money.

54. Ravyn Says:
    May 30th, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I got the Smooth Away system from walgreens… I’d suggest NOW buying this product online since, as you can see, people have had problems.

But what about the system itself? I love it for my legs! I really do! I hate shaving because I always cut myself… Or makes my legs itch really bad, and I also am trying to be more Eco friendly, ya know? Shaving uses up water and time. I like the smooth away for my legs because it really, really exfoliates well and softens my skin. I was unable to get it to work right on my arms, but I think it takes practice. My first time using it it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I use it while watching TV, or while on the phone, but still… it took so long. Second time didn’t take nearly as much time! The only problem is I found some of the pads don’t work. And yes, how it works is you’re sanding away the hair, so so NOT use it forever, daily, etc… I use mine every now and then and ALWAYS before I shower because I want to wash it off because the dead skin smells bad.

In short: Does it work? Yes, for some people,
    Is it worth it: Not as your only shaving product, but if you want to exfoliate while shaving it’s good!
    Does it hurt: In some areas. I do NOT use it on my under-arms, face, or anywhere but my legs, really.
    Should you shower after?: Definitely
    Order online: NO! Get it at walgreens or the mall
    Order in bulk: NO!! Use smooth away once or twice a month to exfoliate and soften, not as your primary shaving resource
    Worth the money: It’s kinda pricey for a plastic thing that makes my hand sweat and sandpaper with a sticky back…
    Would buy again: Yes. But, like I said, I only do it once or twice a month.
    Does the hair grow back: The exact same as if you shaved. I saw no difference in how fast it came back.
    Razor bumps: None.
    Use on face?: NOOOOOO!!! Having facial hair and being a girl is SOO embarrassing :frowning: there are times when it makes me feel like less of a woman, and waving hurts and pulls at the skin, razors can cut it… but, honestly, it’s wiser to get one of those electric Ladies shaving razors (or pluckers) for legs underarms, etc and secretly use it on your face (many are designed so you can use them anywhere you have hair). Or buy a men’s electric shaving razor and use it. If anyone asks, just say you have very sensitive underarms and found this lets you shave them easier.

55. Renee Says:
    May 31st, 2009 at 11:05 pm

I was wondering how this product worked and if it hurt. I am sorry to all those who have had problems but I thank you for posting to help others avoid the same problems.

As for hair removal I will stick with shaving for legs and underarms, trimming for other areas (use Just A Trim from CVS) and threading for my eyebrows. All are effective and the threading is 100% better than waxing.

Thanks again for saving me money!

56. Leah Says:
    June 2nd, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I LOVE IT!!! I just got Smooth Away from my local CVS Pharmacy and I have to say I’m impressed. My legs have never felt so smooth. But there is one draw back, you end up using the whole kit for just your legs. I looked online to see if they sell the replacement pads seperately and they don’t. I don’t think it’s a scam, especially if you read the directions. You aren’t supposed to rub hard(like many of you have done) and you have to rub in a circular motion (clockwise 3 times then counter clockwise 3 times). Even on the box it says ‘Patent Pending’ which means ‘buy at your own risk’ because they know that there are still a few kinks that need to be worked out. All in all I think it’s a great product, they just need to come up with a box of replacement pads sold seperately for those who purchased the full kit and ran out.

57. Alina Says:
    June 8th, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I just bought the product from Walgreens for $10 and I thought it was easy to use and my arms are really smooth! I hope the hair will not grow back as fast as shaving but I will know in a couple of days. I’m glad I did not purchase it over the phone or online. It ended up being cheaper in stores so if you want to try it purchase it from walgreens and also there is a $1 off coupon in the sunday newspaper this week!

58. Laura Says:
    June 22nd, 2009 at 5:34 pm

TOTAL SCAM. I tried smooth away…and it honestly was no different than rubbing sand paper over my leg. It irritated my skin and gave me little scratches, which really annoyed me. I don’t have sensitive skin. Anyway, not one single hair was removed.

59. Laura Says:
    June 22nd, 2009 at 5:43 pm

One last thing…have already done 1 treatment of laser hair removal. With the new lasers, you only need to have 3 or 4 treatments. If you get the numbing cream…you won’t feel any pain. Without it, the pain is like a pinching feeling….not too comfortable. I LOVE IT!!! I am the hairyest person on the earth…and it’s worth every dime. I still have 2 or 3 more treatments to go, but I already feel better about my entire legs. I’m usually paying $70 evert 4 weeks for waxing. Spend the $ on laser, and you’ll save so much more in the long run. I also have large pores…and they’ll completely disappear after the final treatment. My sister already finished her last treatment a year ago…and has the smoothest legs…no more large pores. Honestly, if your hair is thin and light, just shave or wax (you won’t have to as frequently). If you’re thick and a beast who gets 5:00pm shadow…laser. It’s an excellent investment.

60. Anonymous Guy Says:
    June 24th, 2009 at 7:56 am

Just wanted to say these do work at least if you follow directions for some people, they worked for me. I was only looking for info on how in the world they pull hair out painlessly my suspicion is that they make cuts somehow below the skin on the hair and do not truly pull anything out it looks like it ripped the hairs out, but I know normally that hurts like crazy so I am really doubting this.

Also why in the world are you morons giving out credit info to some website, go get in your car and drive to bed bath and beyond. If you are getting cheated by the website it’s your own fault for trusting them when you can just go buy it in the store.

I found this info useless thanks to you idiots cluttering it with your stupidity about the dang website who cares guy buy it in the store like someone with a brain.

And I would like to see some doctors reviews on this product medical studies needed how does it remove hair, why does it not hurt and does it really make less grow back over time?

Don’t believe the B.S. in most these reviews it worked for me, but you can’t press too hard or it does nothing but grind your skin and if you press too light it does nothing, somewhere in the middle and you need to do perfect circles clockwise then counterclockwise and if you are doing it right you will see before you switch directions all hairs twisted up in together in little knots then when you switch directions it will remove them. It worked best on my arms, my face it worked too, but it was almost impossible to remove my beard area, probably would work better on woman’s faces since the hairs are less strong, but it did leave lines on my face, so have a good moisturizer ready. that seemed to work for me, though really the lines will go away in a few days till then keep moisturizing and should not be visible.

I do agree though on last laser is the way to go, I have had bout 24 treatments and my face barely has any hairs left, I think if I could only get a few more they would be gone too, they are very weak hairs now I barely tug on them and they fall right out.

61. Miral Says:
    July 7th, 2009 at 1:40 am

it is a big scam! i don’t know how i fell o bad for this trap! it is too good to be true scheme! they charged me $57 … can you belive these theft!

62. Tasha Says:
    July 8th, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I don’t know why so many people are saying all this stuff.

I bought smooth away from the mall, and when I took it home and tried it out, i was completely amazed with the results. It worked very nicely. At first i was rubbing up and down and wasn’t getting any results. Then I read the directions (something I usually skip haha) and finally did it right.

Are you sure you all have read the directions?

63. Shannon Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Yes, in fact, it is. When I was watching the commercial, it said PAID ACTORS at the bottom of the screen. And that usually mean it is a ripoff. My friendbought, and said it never worked.

64. Brooke Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 9:49 pm

My friend uses it. She says it works fine for her.

65. Brooke Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I bought me some off of ebay for like 8 bucks…

66. Mia Says:
    July 13th, 2009 at 11:15 am

Smooth away is a rip off… bought it at a Drugstore… I am suprised that this product is still on shelves of reputable drugstores…Smoth away didn’t remove any hair on my legs or arms… I mean not even one little hair ! Definitely DONT buy this product!.. I put it in the trash, no use

67. liz Says:
    July 13th, 2009 at 7:31 pm

i have it, its good; works 4 me.
    i got mine at wallgreens 4 like 10bux tho, much better deal =]

68. cass Says:
    July 16th, 2009 at 11:44 am

I hate smooth away! It doesnt work it hurt and it was over priced. I’m just pissed I didnt see this site before I bought it

69. quilla Says:
    July 21st, 2009 at 8:20 pm

smooth away is a gimmick, can’t believe I fell for it. Doesnot work at all! It sucks that you got to pay s&h . Who approved such crap. It should be looked into lots of people are being scammed.

70. quilla Says:
    July 21st, 2009 at 8:22 pm

p.s.

It sucks that you’ve got to pay S&H to return this crap in order to get your money back!!

71. lea Says:
    July 22nd, 2009 at 2:10 pm

whoever invented this should be sued for billions of $ they scammed pretty much every girl on this walking earth ! & i hope they get letters from court every day!!

72. vivi Says:
    July 30th, 2009 at 3:06 am

Cheap ugg boots on sale and colorful edhardy shirts,http://www.dvdcoco.com
    You will get what you want I think
    Pls visit it for try.
    Last winter,their boots give many many customers warm,this year,they prepar to offer a better price and service than last year,want share with you

73. All of you are stupid… Says:
    July 30th, 2009 at 7:43 am

LOOK ALL YOU GUYS NEED IT TO DO IS MAKE SURE YOU DON’T ACCEPT ANYTHING ALSE BUT THE BOGO OFFERED. MAKE SURE U ONLY PUT QUANTITY OF 1 ON THE WEB SITE… I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW AMERICA IS SO STUPID…… AND IF YOUR NOT HAPPY WITH THE CHARGES JUST CALL THE CUSTOMER. SERVICE… 1-866-655-4341 AND TELL THEM THAT U WILL RETURNED TO SENDER FOR A FULL REFUND AS LONG AS THE PACKAGE OR INVOICE IS NOT OPEN USPS WILL TAKE IT BACK WITHOUT CHARGING YOU…… JUST THINK DON’T BE SO STUPID…

74. All of you are stupid… Says:
    July 30th, 2009 at 8:01 am

TO QUILLA… U DO NOT HAVE TO PAY S.H TO SEND IT BCK IF U OPEN THE PRDCT U DO NOT HAVE TO SEND IT BCK BECAUSE IS UNSANITARY THEY WILL GIVE U A REFUND FOR 14.99+TAX

75. Lydia Says:
    July 31st, 2009 at 6:23 pm

This is such crap! I was so excited to use it and I thought it would be an easy way to take care of my bikini line… boy was i wrong… it felt like i was trying to sandblast away my pubic hair… save yourself girls and dont even think twice about this stupid smooth away!

76. Susan Says:
    August 6th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I bought this product at Bed Bath and Beyond about a month ago for $9.99. I have sensitive skin, but I followed the instructions to the letter, and when I tried it the frst time it left my legs smooth and reasonably hair free. I was afraid to try it on my face, though, because of the sensitivity issue.

This past Monday, I used the product for the second time on my legs, not anticipating any problems based on the success of the first use. I was NOT sunburned or otherwise irritated at the time that I used it, though in the afternoon of the same day, AFTER I used it, I did spend some time in the sun. I wasn’t “sunbathing,” though, just outdoors in the sunshine. I was fine until that evening, when I noticed a horrible, intense itching on my calves and shins where I used the product — so painful and itchy that it actually woke me up in the night and has continued to do so! I did not even connect it to the Smooth Away at first…but it is now 3 1/2 days later and I am still experiencing intense itching in the area where I used the product, my legs are red and irritated, and I even noticed some hives on my legs in the middle of the night last night, and I know it is from the Smooth Away! NOTHING has worked to soothe the itch — not a steroid lotion, not cool baths, not medicated powder, not even Benadryl taken by mouth. It comes and goes, but seems to get worse and worse if my legs sweat. It feels like fire — like there are microscopic cuts and abrasions on my legs, or like a horrible second-degree sunburn. I will NEVER, EVER use this product again — I followed all the instructions, had no prior irritation to my skin or legs, and have been suffering ever since. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this product — save your money, stick to your razor!!!

77. scrub away hair removing Says:
    August 7th, 2009 at 11:20 am

Such as spina, popular Allergy?Ago Your home, divorce can be.When used short-term, general well-being by.Affiliate marketing because scrub away hair removing, and there he your registrar more.The rotator cuffs, Your deductible is.,

I tried HairOff mittens. It burnt my skin and hair stayed… Really amazing result:)

Smooth Away did nothing for me but Velvet Touch worked well. You just have to be careful about which Velvet Touch product you use on particular areas.