Slight tugging - Ingrown?

I am doing electrolysis every other week for 2 hr. sessions. I can’t say the hair slides out like a toothpick from a stick of soft butter, but I wouldn’t say the sensation is like plucking either. I do feel tugging from time to time. I assumed this was the bulb coming through a smaller opening. I may be wrong. I have noticed a few bumps that I am sure are ingrown hairs a few days after treatment. I am an African American male with coarse, gray, curly beard hair. If I were to pluck a beard hair it would probably become ingrown. Especially in the neck region. Is it safe to conclude my electrologist did not sufficiently zap the hair and basically the hair was plucked leaving me with an ingrown? I only have a few, but it still concerns me. According to my electrologist she has the settings about as high as her machine will go for Thermolysis. Sometimes I can tell she zaps a hair multiple times before tweezing. Is it reasonable to feel nothing when hair is tweezed? Thanks for any input.

The hairs you have can be hard to reat because the follicle is sometimes not straight. Coarse curly beard hairs may also have a thicker bulb and sheath that can catch on the way out of the follicle.

One thing you might do is ask your electrologist to “overtreat” a couple of hairs with more energy to see if you feel a difference between those and hairs treated at the other setting.

Andrea thank you for the reply. I will ask her to “overtreat” the hairs. I am getting a numbing cream to take the added pain. Thanks.

As Andrea said your type of hair that’s prone to being ingrown can be challenging to work on. It’s difficult to say whether you’re receiving poor treatment in this case. But if you are able to find another electrologist to sample, you’ll be able to compare if treatments are similar or vastly different. How how have you been seeing this electrologist and have you received at least one full clearance yet?

I see her every two weeks for a two hour session. I have to travel to see her, so that’s the most time I can allot. I have not done “full clearance” with her as she said that is too much for her to do in one sitting. She has plenty of experience with MtF, so I do believe she knows what she is doing. She says it will take a year to a year and half for 99% beard free. She rates my beard as medium growth. She herself transitioned to female, and told me for every one hair I have she had 5 or so. My beard is coarse, but you can still see skin underneath it. Many males have far more hairs per square inch than I do. I am going to give her more time. Wish me well.