skin problems with electrolysis

hello!

I used to think there is only one electrologist in my city, but thanks to James and my skin reaction, I digged a bit more and managed to find at least another one. The story goes as this: I’ve had 2 sessions with electrolysis (about 5 weeks interval)on my back, after both of them I had red spots with scabs and whereas some of them vanished with time, some remained resembling acne. I thought the redness would’ve gone in a couple of days, so I was a bit anxious (don’t want to have scarring). I was wondering if this is temporary like acne and would disappear if, during warmer months I would tan my back (as it usually did with “real” acne). Additional problem is that although me myself had never had special skin problems as long as acne is concerned (I’ve gone through puberty quite easy), my brother still has skin problems with acne which are really harsh (and we’re both halfway our 20s). But his skin is lighter than mine, and he’s got allergic reactions to pollens, maybe then it has something to do with this.
Anyway, I found another electrolysis provider and just phoned them. The person performing it has master’s degree, and I got to know that she prefers to perform more sessions with lower current settings, than to damage somebody’s skin.
I’m considering going there and have her see my back, maybe have her continue the electrolysis. I’m also considering going to a dermatologist at student’s health care center and have her opinion.
But the thing is - if this condition is only temporary, and the discolouring will vanish, I am into quicker method, cause I want the hair gone as quick as possible and, in a long run, with fewer visits and less money spent (I’m studying).
Pain doesn’t matter much too, though I can’t say the 2 sessions were comfortable (I felt the needle, the warmth, after which taking the hair out was a mild sensation, except a few times).
I don’t want to risk any skin problems, but at the same time I want to be through with it ASAP. At the second place they seem to have good theoretical knowledge, and their patients buy the needles for themselves (have personal needles). The one I’ve visited hopefully has them sterile, but I have no way of checking that (there’s no personal needles, but they’re not expensive, so I hope she does care this much).
I’m puzzled right now - what to do?

I dont know exactly what your trying to say but I think I know enough about skin care to comment. First of all your electrolysis treatment will not cause acne I think that safe to say. As far scarring,I have real sensitive skin and I have the same problem (am i having electrolysis done too) as you but Im not even worried about it cause they are not scars but more like blemishes, and blemishes fade over time. Scars are pits and things like that that are permanent. The only thing I can tell you is to take care of the skin on your back by using a non soap cleanser, Like dove body wash or Cetaphil…cause if you use soaps that dry the skin it can hurt the healing process that your skin is gonna go through. You can also use this asprin based solution that I have thats made for soothing skin before and after electrolysis and other hair removal treatments, and that should help with any skin reactions you have on your back. I havent used the solution on my back yet (I use it after I shave my face) cause I dont really need it, but its a good product…I can tell you the website to buy it if you want.

thanks for advice Moe,
I wrote that post in a hurry, sorry for the style and confusion I caused.
the point I was trying to get across was that I still have discoloration (blemishes?) on the skin where the needle was inserted, and this causes the area treated to look reddish or pinky, which is rather noticeable. I was worried, because it is still reddish even after 5 weeks past last treatment, and I’ve read here and at other sites that it should vanish in less than a couple of days or even hours(that’s how I got it) - e.g. from www.electrology.com:
"Immediately following treatment, there may be a slight redness and/or swelling which usually disappears within a few hours. Occasionally, small whiteheads or tiny scabs may occur. "
maybe I got it somewhat wrong - the redness is vanishing as You say, but very slowly.
Anyway thanks for your advice on skin care. I lacked it, since the electrologist told me only to use some baby powder on my back (the area I’m having the treatment done on) and not to wash it, cause there may be impurities in water which can infect my skin, since it is very sensitive after treatment. and that was it. of course I had a hard time, but managed to keep most of my back from water for over 2 weeks with only powder used on it.
the method she uses is called “electrocoagulation” which I found on the “hairfacts” is flash thermolysis. that doesn’t tell me much, but maybe the skin should have special treatment after this.
right now I’m thankful for Your advice Moe, it calmed me down :slight_smile:
(i see i didn’t manage to keep it short this time either - hope it’s clear enough to understand though)

Do you think that the baby powder might have irritated the treatment area and actually made recovery a longer process for you? I’m sort of confused as to why you would be instructed to use baby powder (which may have fragrance added to it) and not water… I have sensitive skin and have never kept the area undergoing electrolysis out of my regular tap water. I wonder if some of the spots got a bit infected and just need some extra time to heal…if so, just like Moe said, it should fade over time.

no - in fact I think the powder helped me because otherwise I wouldn’t make it without water. After all, you also sweat on the back ;-).
But the treated area was very itchy, maybe the powder is to blame too (I bought usual johnson&johnson powder).
it’s probable that you’re right with spots getting infected.
I see You both think it’s temporary discoloration - and that cheers me up :wink:

Maybe next time you can skip the powder and just continue showering as usual (including your back)? You might want to use a mild cleanser on your back for a few days after your next treatment instead of a harsher bath soap. My guess is that you’ll have better results with just keeping the area clean as opposed to putting powder on it. Make sure that you don’t let the area get too dry, though, or your skin may produce more oil than you want. You might also want to try using aloe vera gel on the area undergoing electrolysis - my skin seems to respond well to using it for the first couple of days following a treatment :smile:

Moe! Welcome back-- a lot of people were asking after you. :grin:

kaspar-- those white bumps that look like acne can sometimes be reduced or elimiatged by wiping the area with rtend Skin before and after treament. If not, you might try witch hazel.

The bumps are cause by bacteria or high treatment tempuratures.

thanks for advice - it is helpful!
I’m about 2 weeks after my third electrolysis session, and I think actually my back is visibly better just because I wash it as usually (thanks Moe and Dragonfly :wink: and also I don’t use the powder. I’m waiting to se how it is in another 2-4 weeks. So long the treatment seems effective.
Andrea - I don’t really know what is “rtend Skin” or “hazel” (is it something made of hazelnuts or hazel tree?)- if I had a better idea I could look for sth what would make a good substitute, if the very thing isn’t available where I live.
thanks & I’ll keep You posted on how it’s going. :smile:

one more thing - I forgot.
I’ll probably try another electrologist, since they sound (at least over the phone) quite reasonable and knowledgeable, and a more reasonable price they have too :wink:
besides now I know that my first electrologist doesn’t change the needle in her machine - I’ve seen her use it on another patient. Maybe this is of little importance since the needle has (I read) about 300 degrees Celsius (it’s about 570 F) but not me to judge it :wink:
the thing that pulls me away is that the “new one” said they are very delicate and the treatment may take long (I want the fastest possible of course) but since “delicate” and “long” are relative in meaning, I guess I have to try if I want to know for myself
whichever decision I take, I’ll keep You posted :smile:

Kasper: I don’t know what “rtend skin” is, but Witch Hazel is an all natural astrigent made of natural extracts from the witch hazel plant… It cleans, conditions, and refreshes one’s skin. Despite the blemishes, are you glad you’ve had electrolysis? Are you satisfied with the hair removing results (if any)?

thanks for this explanation.
As to the electrolysis - yes I am happy I decided for it. I have to say that I haven’t tried any other method (e.g. laser, which I should be a good subject for). I am about 3 weeks after my third session (with ca. 5 weeks intervals between them). Right now the results are quite satisfactory, though I see some hairs are growing again, there’s much less of them than initially. As I was told here, to evaluate complete results I will have to wait a year since last treatment.
And the blemishes are actually disappearing, since I took the advice Moe and Dragonfly had given (You see - this place was really helpful - thank You all! :grin: ) to regularly wash my back.
One thing I would do differently would be to find another electrologists in the area and try them sooner than me (I plan to do it now, reasons - in the post above :wink: e.g. contacting satisfied customers, other referentials, perhaps a testing patch, even a simple talk over the phone lets You judge their attitude toward the client. And letting them know that You already have some knowledge of the treatment - helps some people try better if they know You’re not ignorant and know how to judge the results.
Uhm, I guess I just cannot keep them posts short :wink: