side effects from Vaniqa?

I started using Vaniqa 4 weeks ago. When I went for waxing yesterday, the hair on my chin was much more brittle, coarse, and textured than previously. I haven’t seen anything about this in the literature - has anyone had this happen.

Just to let you know, I had electrolysis for years. Still have the hair. I tried laser - doesn’t work well on lighter hair, so it wasn’t effective, either. Waxing has been my best option and I thought that I’d try Vaniqa to see if it would make any difference.

Vaniqa is not causing this side effect. Vaniqa is for fine female facial hair.

Electrolysis does work 100% everytime is performed properly on a good schedule. If you don’t approach this option with knowlegde of concepts as to what gets a person from point A to point B, then you will never find the magic bullet to end this circus with those chin hairs. Vaniqa is not the best answer for your problem.

I would encourage you to read these forums and learn about whatn a modern, well-educated electrologist can do for you. You won’t be sorry. There is no other permanent option for you except properly performed electrolysis.

If you care to share the details of your electrolysis experience, we can tell you where things may have gone wrong.

Dee

I dont get side effects and im quite acne prone- only thing is i cant use face masks most of the time with vaniqua as i get a reaction. When i was using laser i couldnt use vaniqua that morning or night before as id get a reaction. I just became senseitive

After a few days using Vaniqa I started to develop huge boils and sore spots on my face. Although I stopped using it immediately they still keep coming now a fortnight later, even in areas I didn’t use the cream - lips & eyebrows. Nothing seems to stop them. My face is an absolute mess. I’ve never had anything like this on my skin before. I’m wondering whether to ask my doctor for antibiotics.

I wish I’d never used it, this is a dreadful side effect for a cream meant for the face.

I am house bound and can’t get to a beautician for electrolysis. Kalo hasn’t worked, nor a home scanning laser machine.

Do NOT use antibiotics for this. You will only succeed in further ruining your intestinal tract without much good being done. For the next 4 weeks, take 30,000 IU’s of Vitamin A, 1 gram of vitamin C, and 400 IU’s of vitamin E every 4 hours (Biotin and Pantothenic Acid wouldn’t hurt either). You may also want to apply vitamins A,C &E topically to the outbreak. If you have oozing, Milk of Magnesia can be added to the topical you mix up, and then after it is applied, you use a blow drier to dry this liberally applied mix and you have a crust sitting on top of the oozing skin that will absorb and fight off bacteria.

Whoever prescribed the Vaniqa should be told about this. It may not even be related to the Vaniqa, but maybe something else? Can you go back to the doctor and let her/him see this? Antibiotics should not be prescribed so easily.

What she describes is a side effect listed in the package insert of Vaniqa.

Thank you very much for the advice, that is very kind.

My advice to anyone starting Vaniqa would be to patch test the cream for at least a month so they don’t end up like me. The boils are enormous & the face is perhaps the last place anyone wants them.

My doctor had never heard of it, I asked her for it so she has no experience of prescribing it.

I’d be stunned if this is from Vaniqa, since you say you have skin eruptions happening even in places where it wasn’t used two weeks later after discontinuing the cream??? I agree with the doctor. Do you have pus coming from the boils? Have they been cultured? Have you ever been diagnosed with MRSA? You can google MRSA if you don’t know what I’m asking. You really should make an appointment to see your physician.

Are you ready to be stunned?

1. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
    Like all medicines, Vaniqa can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. The most frequently reported side effect was acne (7-14%). Other side effects commonly (> 1%) reported were skin problems such as skin reactions from ingrowing hair, hair loss, a burning, stinging or tingling feeling, dry skin, itching, redness or rash.

Also reported, but uncommonly (< 1%), were ingrowing hairs, swelling of the face or mouth, skin bleeding, cold sores, dry, cracked or numb lips, pale areas of the skin, sore skin, flushing of the skin, eczema, irritation of the skin, [color:#FF0000]skin boils[/color], abnormal hair texture and abnormal hair growth.

Also reported, but rarely (<0.1%), rosacea (inflammation and flushing of the skin, and [color:#FF0000]can also cause pus under the skin[/color]), a red, scaly, itchy dermatitis, abnormal skin growth, red bumpy rash, skin cysts, blistering rash, excessive hair growth, skin tightness, other skin disorders.

If you notice these or any other side effects, or if you are not sure about the effect of Vaniqa, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Can these side effects occur even though the patient has discontinued use of the cream for two weeks? I don’t doubt the information, just questioning the side effects continuing after the medicine was discontinued. In addition, the percentages of occurence are very low. Is a fortnight the same as two weeks? Maybe I should have read my Shakesphere works closer.

Once the deficiency is created by these drugs the side effects frequently stay on untill the body heals by influx of the needed nutrients that will facilitate healing.

sorry, you’re right - a fortnight is two weeks

I’ve also had the weird pus under the skin (yuk) - didn’t know what it was called! Thanks again for the advice, my skin looks a little bit better today. Still can’t believe these side effects.

I’m a 58 year old housebound woman in despair over the thick, dark hair growth all over my face, nothing I’ve tried has helped & using electric tweezers has coarsened the hair growth considerably (despite the claims made by the manufacturers). I have been using a Rio laser scanner for 6 months with no effect whatsoever. Am considering wearing a paper bag over my head.

Seriously, Bluebottle; just get electrolysis.

I’d love to, but am housebound in a rural area and can’t find a home visit beautician here.

Just brain storming here, but if you can find a school’s phone number, you can see if there are any students, or graduates close to you who you could call to see what you can work out.

I have been using Vaniqa on and off for four years. It certainly helps. I also get spots from it but if I exfoliate every other day and also use a moisturiser when applying it I find it helps with the other side effect which is dry skin. It’s not a dream product but does help and I notice when I stop using it.

From the stand point of the drug company, the definition of a perfect drug is one that does NOT cure anything, but suppresses symptoms so that one needs it for the rest of one’s life (if it is addictive, all the better).

What does it really “help” with? It basically makes your hair grow a bit slower and you’re spending hundreds of dollars for this when you can use that money to remove the hair for good.

Oh, my sentiments exactly. Be done with this hair game. Get a permanent plan going and dump the Vaniqa. Vaniqa is a life long effort. Electrolysis is permanent and once you go through the steps with a good practitioner, you will have lifetime of freedom. Stop fooling around wit gadgets and creams that never get you to the end game.

I appreciate the efforts of the drug companies that try to give us relief. I really appreciate the companies that supply us with great professional epilators so we as electrlogists can get the hair off fast, with little skin reaction and tolerable skin sensation. I am especially thankful to Dectro international and Silhouet-Tone International. I know their products and I love what they offer from the electrolysis side of things.