Should I Become an Electrologist?

I just lost my husband to a sudden heart attack, and need to make major changes. Besides experiencing the trauma of that, I now must find a career because he was all my income since I homeschooled and volunteered after moving to a place I couldn’t get a job in my field years ago.

I have considered going back to my career that I was off-ramped from decades ago, but I would need to go back to graduate school, and spend years making maybe $20/hour. Or, find a way to do what I love self-employed, which would take a ton of effort and probably low income. Though I love my field and want to return, I am older, and not sure it would ever pay the bills, or if I could keep up the physical demands in some positions I would like.

I am also paying a lot right now for full-body electrolysis, and traveling hours away for it, which I had started before my husband died. I am now sure that the money I set aside will not be enough - for many reasons. For decades, I have wondered if I should have become an electrologist. But, if I do, I don’t know if I can work on myself (especially my backside), and there is no electrologist within hours of me. I’m wondering if very many people use high powered camera’s and computer screens for good vision (I’ve got bifocals now) for better technique and also to work on themselves.

My husband and I had planned to retire and travel this April, and both work on the side. I still desperately want to travel, but now don’t have his SS since I’m under the required age, and also don’t want to take it out before my full-retirement. So, I need income for a decade. I would love to be able to earn while I travel, even overseas.

I’m wondering if there is any way to make electrology mobile. I know each state has their own requirements. But, I’m wondering if there is anything like the way nurses can be traveling nurses. Or, if there is a way for me to focus on techniques and travel to teach or something? I would love to be able to work and also go overseas to several countries.

I have also wondered if it might be worth it to become an electrologist just to make it through grad school instead of being a teaching assistant for classes I don’t care about that aren’t in my field. Is it hard to start getting clients? How do you deal with clients if you travel for work or pleasure? Do many people share clients so they won’t be left high and dry? I know how important it is to be reliable, and I wouldn’t want to harm my clients either through frustration or costs due to missing the right phase of hair growth.

Another problem is that there are no electrology schools near me (let alone electrologists). I have searched and searched for a site that lists all the schools in the U.S. and other countries, but haven’t found anything. If I do pursue electrology, I want a school that uses all the methods, including the multi-needle galvanic, and that uses several brands of machines. And, I want to learn a lot about shadowing, lighting, and various techniques. I would always want to keep abreast of the newest techniques and developments. I have had enough bad electrology in my life to know I won’t do it unless I can be really good in my technique. I know I would need to travel to do the clinical portion, so I would want a hybrid program to lower my costs, and would want a way to live at the school site very cheaply. I don’t mind camping, if that is possible safely.

I would also prefer the possibility of a federal loan for school, but it is not required if the school is really the best for me.

I am so confused about how to proceed in my new life circumstance. Any comments are appreciated.

honestly, I dont think electrolysis mobile would work out for you. It’s necessary to stay in one place to build a clientele and for repeat treatments.I’ve never heard of loans for electrolysis school. It takes many years to become competent . Hearing what you are going through or thinking of doing, I honestly do not think it a good fit.

2 Likes

In my opinion, you want to do too many things that are incompatible with maintaining a business and properly servicing your clients. For these reasons I do not think a career in electrology is the right path for you.

2 Likes

It might not be good for a business model, but might it be a cheaper option for me to pursue that an work on myself, and possibly a few clients that don’t have much work needed?

For the money you would invest in training and equipment, you could have professional electrolysis done without the frustration and difficulty of working on yourself. You would also have more free time to travel and do other things.

1 Like

I think that with the money I have spent already, I could have paid for all the schooling. I figure I could pay for it in 5 months with how much I am spending for 6-7 hours once a week. But, of course, there are more hours involved in studying and learning.

The real issue is that I don’t have a good electrolysis around here within 3-4 hours. And, now weather is interfering with getting there. Also, I now have to find a way to replace my husband’s salary. So, it’s a matter of whether to spend more money on traveling a full day each week to get electrolysis, or doing this, even if it is only to do myself, which would be hard on my backside and other areas.

If I had another career already in place, and I had a good electrolysis nearby, I probably wouldn’t think about it. But, I don’t. So, I am thinking about it. Just not sure…

Like others have suggested, hiring a professional to do it is better than do it yourself in my opinion.
For big projects, my service rates are between AUD 75-90 per hr and I only charge for treatment time less breaks and etc. Hope u can find some therapist(s) who can accept lower rates.

1 Like

I certainly don’t want to discourage you! Could you ask your electrologist to give you some suggestions on the best way to pursue this?

You really can’t work on yourself.

Get all the information you can about getting certified. There are several programs where you do most of the theory online and then show up for the hands on training. Do you care to share where you live (general)?

There can be loans available if you served in the military.

1 Like

Hi there! I could have written this post myself, except I decided to divorce my husband after 35 years. I am very sorry for your loss.

I am 55 and have always wanted to be an electrologist. I was trying to decide on a career I could start after my divorce that would allow me to help others, give me scheduling flexibility, provide an income, and a sense of accomplishment. I figured I was too old to become an electrologist. Instead, I decided that I’d just start getting electrolysis again to fight back on what menopause had done to me. As fate would have it, I called for an appointment and found out that the person on the other end of the phone had JUST opened the only school for electrology in my state. I believe in signs… this was my sign! I will graduate and take my state’s licensing exam this month. I don’t think I’ll get rich, but I will be independent… and I am already very happy I followed my dream!

I say go for it!!! People who are passionate about something will succeed at it. I wish you all of the best no matter where life takes you.

2 Likes

Good comments here.
Electrolysis or Electrology is a wonderful profession and can be lucrative. You need knowledge of it, good eyesight, dexterity, like to work closely with people and lots of patience and patients.

It is a lot of work to travel to school, pay out of pocket or apply at the school for government funding/grant, do the work to finish the program, pass and graduate. Now you need to find a job with another electrologist/office or start your own business. Build your clientele. It can cost a lot to start up a new office outside the home. An in home office, if you can do it legally can be less overhead or start up cost.

Some electrolysis schools have their seniors or qualified students give treatments to out patients.
They practice on out patients with supervision from instructors. You pay less money to the school than a traditional electrolysis practice. It may take longer to achieve the results you are looking for due to the students may be a bit slower than an experienced electrologist. However, if you do not mind the sensitivity, you can ask for two electrologists to work on you at one session. You may need to pay also for two practitioners.

Gentile shaving is fine between treatments. Just need enough time to let it grow out if you want an electrolysis treatment. If the hair really bothers you to let all of it grow in, then just leave an area grown out for the electrologist to work on and shave the rest of it.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

As it happens, due to the number of people who seem to have this interest lately, I thought it would be a good idea to post some realistic figures on what some of this stuff costs.Electrology schools, equipment, some rough idea of the amount of money I’ve spent over the last 10 years or so in this business. I think this will be an eyeful for some people into why doing electrolysis is seen as “lucrative” . That honestly hasnt been my experience, As an electrologist, your next big expense is always just around the corner.

1 Like

Hi Smooth Skin:
I am going to tell you to “go for it”. I was a medical biller for 40 years and decided I needed to do something different after the doctor I worked for retired. I decided it would be electrolysis; I had it done for over 20 years so I thought this would be good for me. My electrologist was my mentor for an apprenticeship program that took six months and I then took my licensing test for the State of Michigan. I have to say that I am making more money then I ever had and enjoy ever minute of it. Depending upon the state you live you, you might be able to do an apprentice program as well…we did not have any schools here until this past year.
For me, the expenses are not bad at all…at least I don’t think so and I am have one of the cheapest rates in this area.
As far as the mobile unit, it depends upon the state. Our state, you have to jump through hoops and more hoops to be able to have a mobile unit. One of the biggest costs is having to have a bathroom in your vehicle…this is required here. I think there can be a market for it as we do not have a lot of electrologists in our area, especially in the country, and I believe you could charge more for this service. Check with your state and find out what is required.

I am in agreement with everyone else about working on yourself. I can’t even do my face as it seems to hurt more when you do it to yourself. And doing your backside is going to be impossible…you have to see exactly where the hair is to treat it.

Good luck to you. And if you want to chat, let me know and I will send you my telephone number.

Debbi

1 Like

I would love to know the costs. I have tried to figure it up in my head, but the actual costs, especially for continuing education and supplies, elude me. My electrologist is willing to help guide me on places to pick up machines. But, one minute she talks about how easily she paid off her expenses, and the next she says she barely makes anything. So, I’m not sure what to make of that, especially since I know how much I pay her. LOL.

I was wondering how you are liking your medical magnifier. I have been trying to get my electrologist to use higher magnification than 2x, without success, and she could not imagine using something even as high as 4x. I have wondered, considering my background looking through magnification, if I would like what you have IF I became an electrologist.

I didn’t even think about the bathroom! ugh! I should have considering I have to use one at least 4 times during my all-day sessions and due to long-travel time.

Yes, I think given my options in my town, there is no way I wouldn’t make a ton more money than anything else I could do here. If I go back to my old career, I’ll be paid hardly anything and have to move or travel a long distance every day.

I haven’t yet called the governing board in my state, but I’m pretty sure I have to go to an accredited school, and there are none that I know of in my state! Thus, hardly any electrologists, either. I am actually going out of state to get to my electrolysis. But, they require a mentor and college degree! That is not at all to my liking, and the courses they require even she says are not relevant! And, it would take more money and time. Besides, I’ve had tons of college already. If I go back, it would be to finish my previous career. But, that will not sustain me very well financially.

I understand I can’t work on myself well by most means available today. I always have pie in the sky ideas of doing things. I was thinking of how a surgeon works using a computer screen and to manipulate and finesse highly sensitive things like fine stitches, heart catheters, and such. But, I suppose that would require very expensive equipment and a ton of experience…and not really be feasible.

However, I was thinking I would get treated by other students while I was in school. So, that could pay for a lot of treatments on myself.

your mileage may vary depending on location. 2 sinks and a bathroom are a must. One sink is for hand washing, the other for implement scrubbing and cannot be the same sink.
I’ll work up a rough idea of costs, but here’s a few to get you started:
Apilux Xcell, $12000 CDN
instantron spectrum elite : $3049 USD
Current autoclave: $$4000
Previous autoclave: $1200
Treatment table: $1000CDN
Renovations of previous office: $13000
Renovations to home ( where I work now) : $4000
Annual probe Expense: 40 boxen ballet insulated @ ~$70 / box per year
Table paper: $150 every 2 months
Scheduling system: $99USD every month
spore testing vials: $350 USD /year
Insurance: $600 cdn /year
misc supplies ( sterilization envelopes, witch hazel, nitrile gloves cotton rounds: ~ $3000 /year.
also forgot to mention ~50 pair peer vigour tweezers ~20 USD each.
dont forget disinfection supplies ( a few hundred per year)
Rent on my office was between 1300-1400 a month for 7 years .You can do without this with your mobile idea, but you will want to stay in a region and build a clientele. Consider would you get electrolysis from someone out of the back of a truck? Many clients will not.

2 Likes

I am so very grateful to be living in the UK.
My tuition cost £1800-£2200 I believe, in 2019.
A used Sterex unit, if you can find one, is £500 but I wanted the Instantron model k + a copy of Mike Bono’s book was about $4000.
My rent in the salon I work out of is a very comfortable £90 per week.
I buy bed roll in bulk for about £3 per roll, £7 per box of 50 gloves, and £25 per box of 50 probes.
I bought a small used autoclave for £250 and a good brand of sturdy tweezers at £8 pair.
I bought a used plinth type bed for £250 that I’ve covered in towels and a heating pad under a nice tablecloth, a used saddle stool(broken but works for now) for £80.
Insurance/guild is £90 per year and seems to be rising by £10 or so every year.
It is a lot to get started so it’d probably be easier to work with/for somebody else first, but that wasn’t really an option for me
I started out renting a room one day a week for £25 and just cramming as many people into that Tuesday as I could. I’ve been in business for just a little over a year and don’t feel quite profitable yet, but I think I’ll get there. I work 4 days a week including Sunday and usually only a few hours a day, at this point, which is all right for me because I’m a cripple :wink:
Most of my clients are referred to me by the only other electrologist in the area who is saintly and booked into oblivion, others find me through my 5* reviews on the scheduling app I use (Fresha).
I charge £55 per hour. I love my job.

1 Like