Shaving face ingrown hairs and razor bumps. Ouch!

basically i use what’s called the bump fighter razor

and i use it with edge shaving gel.

now when i shave it don’t have ny razor bumps or anything. infact my shave is very smooth. maybe it could be better but its decent.

but for some reason when the stubble grows back 2-3 days later i get a combo of ingrown hairs-bumps & it seems like razor bumps as well. and they really are sore and hurt when i touch my cheek and chin and neck.

also when i use the bump fighter razor basiclly when i lather my face basically after one stroke the razor is clogged with hair and i have to spend 2-3 mins washing the the hair out. and it takes like almost like 30 or so strokes to shave my whole face and its just alot of time. i was wondering what am i doing wrong. it just takes to damn long the shave.

is there naything i can do. i mean i see men on tv and on the street with really smooth chins with alittle hair shadow smoothed out. what can i do to get that?

basically i have to wait for the razorbumps-ingrown hair bumps to heal to the point where they don’t hurt and then i shave agian but then the cycle starts again.

i used to simply use a philips norelco without any gel razor

but that razor created instant razor bumps. so in many cases i’d have to wait for the razor bumps to heal until i could shave again. i must be doing something wrong here.

do i own the wrong product. is my blade wrong.

i do plan to get laser electrolyss at some point but at the moment i cannot afford it.

i’ve heard about something called tend skin but i don’t know exactly what it does.

okay. i just starting doing alittle reading. and tend skin is the answer. but how exactly do i apply it. and when do i apply it.

also what do i do to lessen my shaving time. basically after one stroke my bump fighter razor is clogged and it takes an hour to shave my face.

I remember the days when I was fighting to attempt to shave. I don’t miss those days!

If you can find someone good, what you might get some great results from is doing one clearance with electrolysis on the full face. If done correctly, this will reduce the number of hairs, while straightening the hairs that remain.

My hairs were tight spring coils along with a few that looked like pig tails sprinkled in. During my clearances, I noticed the hairs getting softer and straighter. I have seen the same happen to my clients as we work.

okay. at some point when i can afford it. i will get laser / electrolysis etc., but for now i am forced to stick with shaving.

i just got a bottle of tend skin. now. at what point do i apply it?

do i use it before or after i shave. i usually wait for the pfb / razor bumps to heal and go away to shave again. now my stubble is starting to get pretty thick. i don’t really have a beard but just thick stubble. what i need to know is. at what point do i use the tend skin oil?

should i use a cotton ball to dab it on? right after i shave. do i only use when the bumps start to appear? how do i use the tend skin on my face to get the best result which is preventing the pfb bumps.

There are instructions on Tend Skin’s website, basically yes you apply it with a cotton ball (I’d try a cotton pad, might work better since it shouldn’t shred to pieces against the stubble as easily as a cotton ball.)

http://www.tendskin.com/instruct_s.htm

One thing I would note, it is a good idea wash or rinse your hands after handling tend skin. It can cause peel away the layers of skin between your fingers and cause them to be chapped.

If you have ingrowns on only one area (like a ring at the base of the neck) you might be surprised how affordable electrolysis on that area can be with a skilled practitioner like we have here on HairTell (especially compared to having to buy Tend Skin every month for the rest of one’s life.)

Unless the area is very large, it is usually easiest to apply tend skin with a cotton swab (Q-tip).

Those foam makeup wedges are best for a large area, as they won’t shred on contact with a scratchy beard.

You will still need to wash off any tend skin that gets on your fingers, as the stuff will burn off your skin in no time.

Another word of advise. Don’t put a bottle of tend skin in your gym bag. The product will dissolve the bottle over time, and before you know it, the suff is leaking from the seal on the cap/top and you will have acidic product dripping out into your bag, purse, pocket, or whatever. This stuff should only be left in the medicine cabinet. unless you transfer it to a glass bottle with a super secure top.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just get pure salicylic acid mixed in a rubbing alcohol base?

salicylic acid mixed in a rubbing alcohol base?

hmmmm? does it really work?

would it be cheaper too? this tend skin stuff costs alot?

if so would i just go to the grocery store to buy it?

There is a homemade Tend Skin thread here on HairTell, if you want to try making it yourself.

James, of course, you can apply Tend Skin with a Q-tip like applying Tea Tree Oil. Silly me! The makeup sponge is a great idea too.

The only thing you can find in a store that would be salicylic acid mixed in a rubbing alcohol base is this stuff called Tend Skin. :smiley: Unles you went to a compounding pharmacy and convinced a nice druggist to mix you up a batch, but if you are going to do that, you may as well include the glycerine and or poly-glycols as well.

You want cheap, mix up your own based on the information in the link above. Just remember, this stuff is a little reactive, and you want to make it in small quantities, so you don’t have a product that is diminishing in stregnth over the time you are using it.

I was reading your post and I have heard about this condition before.
Actually shaving shouldn’t produce any problems at all. I can shave with all different kinds of razors and blades without any problems at all and very very smooth.

Your conditions is called folliculitis. And happens a lot to african men who have curly hair (and thus very curly follicles). And when they shave the hair curls back to soon and enters/traumatizes the skin.
Whatever they try, the conditions just doesn’t seem to dissapear.
If you’re a person with strong curly hair, then electrolysis isn’t an option I think and I heard many sufferes undergo laser treatment. But then again…Laser isn’t as “permanent” as electrolysis.

I don’t know if there are practitioners who can use electrolysis on strongly curled hair but I know a cream or new razor won’t help you…

Maybe you should dig into this some more or talk to a dermatologist.

really. well i just shaved last night. and i used the tend skin before and after the shave. the tend skin really burns for about 10 seconds then i goes away. basically the PFB bumps usually appear in about 2-3 days. i guess if the bumps begin to appear this is when i’ll splash some more tend skin on to see if it works.

basically my face after the 2-3 days doesn’t look this bad

but i do get bumps. we will see if the tend skin helps

I feel for you! Have you read the psudofollicultis forum? There is some great information for you there. You need to some help beyond TendSkin. If you could see a dermatologist, they can calm things down for you. My memory is foggy about what topical antibiotics can be used. I believe laser used in combination with certain topical agents can help you. You can just let the hairs grow and have a beard, too, but I don’t know if you have a job that prohibits facial hair.

Pleas slide over to the forum that discusses psuedofoliiculitis barbae and do some reading. You don’t have to go on living this way. It looks so painful!

Dee

i meant to imply that i get bumps close to this. that pic i posted is not of me. but i just wanted to point out that i get bumps similar to this pattern, but not that bad but close enough. the guy in this pic is really suffering. i’m not suffering at that level. i’m not really sure if i have psudofollicultis. I could very well have this. i not sure. all i know is when i shave i get a decent shave but 2-3 days later when the hair grows back i have ouchy bumps that hurt like hell. in the pattern of the pic i posted. so i’ll let you guys know if the tend skin worked.

its just that when the bumps appear i hope that the tend skin will help make the bumps go away.

Oh, good. Now I don’t feel so bad for you. Yes, let us know how the TendSkin helps. As a reminder, if anyone is allergic to aspirin, do not use TendSkin.

Dee

Ok.the tend skin seems to be working. i don’t feel or see any ouchy bumps yet. however i’m starting to get these white-ish bumps-crust around where shave and use the tend skin.

if you look at the pic above the guy in the pics has white-ish bumps. i’m sort of getting that. but it seems like my skin is getting dry or something which is why i say that it looks alittle crusty along with returning stubble/hair shadows. it doesn’t look really bad but its enough

what can i do? do i need to get another skin cream or something that helps with this.

i have another question. i’m wondering if i use a razor that shaves closer than the bump fighter is that a bad idea. because the bump figher does what its supposed to do it prevents bumps but the shave is not as close as id like. i wish i could get it smooth.

so i guess my question is what do i do to get my cheek/chin mouth area just alittle cleaner and fresher smoother after shaving.

Tea Tree Oil overnight would take care of the white bumps, if that is puss you are seeing. The alternative is that it is just flaking skin from the acid reaction on the skin. A good facial lotion would take care of any ashen flaking skin. You could even use plain yogurt if you wanted to go natural.

To be honest, I don’t think a cream or special razor will do the job for you.
I can understand you want to be smooth just like everyone else. Really I do feel you there.

But I have to remind you that we can shave smooth and close because our skin doesn’t react as if it is traumatized. It doesn’t react at all after shaving.

Your skin is different and just cannot cope with the shaving, regardless what razor or cream you use.

This problem goes beyond the “normal” range of say 1 or 2 little razorbumps once a month.
This is a serious alarm of your body saying it cannot cope with the shaving.
Seriously see a docter and talk about it, they could help you.
And check some fora focussed on folliculitis.

Good luck man.

got any suggestions on an a facial lotion specifically meant to cure this? i honestly think its an acid reaction. i’m getting flaky.

it seems like the tend skin reduces & dries up the pdb bumps but leaves a flakeyness ash dryness problem.

i’m male and i’m african american so i don’t know if i need to concentrate on a specific type of cream. but you said tee tree oil?

You see? I told you before it happens most in African american men.
that is because you probably have strong curly hair.
And when shaving it, it penetrates the skin during regrowth.
So shaving will always(!) bring the same reaction…
You can put lotions on it everytime, but once shaving again, the problem will start again.

I am not trying to make you feel bad or overestimate the problem.
What I am trying to do is make you see this problem more realisticly to stop you from an endless search for a wonder cure, which in the end will end up in dissapointment.
It is very comfortable to deny the problem and believe in a wonder cure like a cream that will solve the problem, but my sincere opinion here is that you won’t find it.

Your condition is called “pseudofolliculitis barbae”, which mainly occurs in men from African-American decent.

Here; I got this from a dermatological website:

"
Pseudofolliculitis Barbae

Pseudofolliculitis barbae (razor bumps) is a common condition of the beard area occurring in up to 60% African American men and other people with curly hair. The problem results when highly curved hairs grow back into the skin causing inflammation and a foreign body reaction. Over time, this can cause keloidal scarring which looks like hard bumps of the beard area and neck. Shaving sharpens the ends of the hairs like a spear. The hairs then curve back into the skin causing pseudofolliculitis barbae.

A 100% effective treatment is to let the beard grow. Once the hairs get to be a certain length they will not grow back into the skin. For most cases, totally avoid shaving for 3 to 4 weeks until all lesions have subsided, while applying a mild prescription cortisone cream to the involved skin each morning. Shaving every other day, rather than daily, will improve pseudo-folliculitis barbae. If one must use a blade, water soften the beard first with a hot, wet washcloth for 5 minutes. A preshave solution (Hydroglyde from Moore skin care 1-800-745-9422) helps soften the hairs. Then use lubricating shaving gel (Edge, Aveeno), a prescription medicated shaving foam (Benzashave by Dermik) or British shaving oil and use the Aveeno PFB Bump Fighter Razor or the Flicker razor. Shave with the grain of the beard and do not stretch the skin. Use only one stroke over each area of the beard.

Use of an electric shaver may also help the condition because it does not cut as close as blades do. Use the electric razor on high setting to avoid close shaving and prepare beard with electric razor pre-shave. Do not stretch skin while shaving and shave with the grain of beard growth. Avoid multiple repetitions of strokes in the same area. Do not press razor head hard against the skin. Shave every other day. Better still is a barber's clipper (with clipping guard) to prevent shaving closer than 1mm cut of whisker hair.

Some doctors recommend chemical "shaving" with products such as Magic Shave, Surgex shaving powder, Nair or Neet (these are brands of Barium sulfide or Calcium thioglycolate depilatories - very mild to strong). These dissolve the hairs but can cause chemical burns on facial skin. It should be left on for less time than the package recommends until one sees how the skin reacts to it.

Most patients "cannot tolerate" these because they don't wait for their skin to clear before using them as directed. PFB involved skin is not "normal," and it should be expected to be more easily irritated than normal skin. These depilatories should be tried only once the skin is bump free. Use only every 48-72 hours. Use mildest form that works. Apply to small areas at a time (1/4 - 1/2 of the face) and start removal no later than 3 minutes (for Barium sulfide types) or 5 minutes (for calcium thioglycolate types) after application. Remove with spatula, butter knife, tongue blade, or other blunt straight edge. Use short, rapid strokes against the direction of hair growth. Keep shaving instrument moist but wiped clean. If some hairs remain, repeat after 30-60 seconds. Wait if within 3 minutes of original application. Rapid and thorough rinsing should be done two or three times with soap and water. Neutralize depilatory with a diluted vinegar solution (1 tablespoon per pint of water) then rinse again thoroughly with tap water.

Electrolysis and laser hair removal should be considered when all else fails, but these are expensive and take repeated visits. There is a very small risk of scarring. A few insurance companies will cover some or all of the cost.

Medications are also prescribed to speed healing of the skin. Glycolic acid lotion 8% is effective (Alpha-hydrox, Neo-Strata, others). Prescription antibiotic gels (Benzamycin, Cleocin-T) or oral antibiotics are also used. Retin-A is a potent treatment that helps even out any scarring after a few months. It is added as a nightly application of Retin-A Cream 0.05 - 0.1% to the beard skin while beard is growing out. Use as tolerated, as it is somewhat irritating.

This describes the treatment options. The individual prescription can be developed specifically by a dermatologist and may differ somewhat from those described here. "

My gues is: Go for permanent hair removal.

Good luck.