Severe Hyperpigmentation .. is this normal?

Hi, thank you everyone for having such an incredible platform, I have learnt so much about hair removal from this forum… I suffer from mild hirsutism and started my electrolysis journey from February 2023.my electro logout is using blend method and I’m Fitzpatrick 3/4. Between 20th feb ( 1st treatment) and 20th April ( most recent treatment)I have gone every week and had sessions lasting 1 to 6 hours .

I have had a total of 30.5 hours of electrolysis on my lower face and upper neck . While I have seen some reduction in hair , especially on the upper ,lower lip , and chin where I’ve had most hours of electrolysis. I have noticed severe hyperpigmentation… it is quite bad and I’m unable to be in front of people without a mask!! When I asked the technician she said it happens sometimes and was very vague if this was an a expected skin reaction… I’m attaching my pictures taken today , 9 days since my last electrolysis session of 6 hrs. Please tell me if this is a normal reaction.

Do you have before photos to share?

Yes I do I’m sharing here, these were taken the day before I started electrolysis .

I don’t have any previous pigmentation, and I have never done laser

I’m going to say that with your complexion, unfortunately yes this CAN be normal. Not necessarily will but your complexion does make you susceptible to hyper-pigmentation to occur. That’s the bad news. The good news is that hyper-pigmentation does fade with time, but in severe cases ( I would regard this as a severe case of hyper-pigmentation) this may take considerable time, up to a year. Not necessarily will but it’s possible.
All of that said, in my opinion this is a little harsh on the skin reaction. There’s would have to be considerable inflammation to cause this type of effect. I think your practitioner should be trying some other techniques of electrolysis, perhaps a different intensity or timing. or even a differing modality of electrolysis. If this is a thermolysis treatment, I’d try switching to blend and see if that reaction continues.
Either way, this will resolve. I don’t like the idea of you having this kind of reaction to every treatment though it’s not good for your self confidence.

5 Likes

Does/Can interfering with hyperpigmentation delay healing if hyperpigmentation is part of NORMAL healing process?

It at least can cause contamination of the area. So yes.

Thank you so much for addressing my concerns.
I’m having blend method done … I spoke to the lady who runs the place and she told the electrologist to try lower settings… I’ve also decided to to go once every two weeks instead of every week.
They told me to apply refrigerated aloe Vera gel for two days post treatment along with hydrocortisone cream.
I’ve been told to apply micronised 15% azealic acid day and night for two months… other than that just basic cerave moisturiser and sunscreen. She also told me to stay away from any exfoliants till after my treatment is complete , and that when it comes to healing less is more!
I really don’t want to stop in between as I’m seeing such amazing results. I hope that’s ok if you think I should take a break and get back let me know … other than the pigmentation I don’t have any other issues … no scarring/ pitting.
I quite like the place I’m getting my treatment from. They seem very professional and are always available to address any issues I have.

I have to ask,because others have noticed the same things I have the two sets of photos look very different. Are you sure they are both you? The colouration of the skin is very different, more than I think lighting differences could account for?

I really think that with that much reaction, unles you are wholly okay with it looking like that, no you shouldnt do more electrolysis.Not now or ever.

I have the same concern, Seana. The head hair texture is different in the pre-photo and for the amount of hair in the pre-photo, there should not be that kind of reaction.

Both pictures are of me yes… I have sent you full pictures of both in your DM…

I have done a few hours (16 hours) of facial electrolysis before at the same place but a different operator. 5 years ago , and I did not have such an adverse reaction.this was pre pandemic and I could go anywhere without mask and I did not have any hyperpigmentation issues. I couldn’t continue at that time because of some personal and professional commitments.
So when I wanted to restart electrolysis went back to the same place. My previous operator no longer works there so I was assigned a new one … from week two I noticed intense inflammation and kept asking them if it was normal , they assured me it was and I kept going weekly. So here are a few things I have oberserved
1)There is a lot of scabbing post electrolysis wherever she removes hair even for the veryfine ones.
The sans heal within a week and I have just left them alone.
2) she’s not wearing gloves, so I have noticed my skin breaking out two days post treatment especially around the cheeks and neck . Because of those breakouts she has only removed thick hair from those areas. And we haven’t spent much time doing treatment there.
3) my treatment times have been much longer this time around compared to last time
4) they give a guarantee that no hair will grow once you complete treatment but for that they said they have to go nearly bald and remove even the very fine vellus hair, so that there is no hormone induced regrowth.
5) my most recent treatment was on 21st April for 6 hours 15 minutes of which she spent two hours on upper lip , two hours on lower lip, two hours on chin and 15 minutes on neck and jawline.
6) it was the first time I received complete for my upper lower lip , which I’m guessing was for 1st clearance. ( not too sure since when I asked her if it meant full clearance she said it’s complete , and that once I receive complete, I have to go every two weeks for a complete clearing of all hair till there is no more hair left to clear)
I have noticed reactive skin from the very second treatment itself.
7) I have noticed most other people are coming in for much shorter appointments 30 mins to 1 hour , there is only one other girl who comes in for long treatments, and when I asked the operator she said she does not have the same reaction. I have not met the said client.

did the client use any products containing any acids (including vitamin C), alkaline, retinol/tretinoin and any other physical exfoliation (ex: scrubbing, peeling, microdermabration, laser & etc.), acne treatment, a few weeks before and after electrolysis procedure? Skin should not be inflamed before and after the procedure.

those things can irritate the skin. Good for intact healthy skin. But must b avoided while skin and its underneath is injured or still healing

acids, (ascorbic acid = vitamin C), alkalines can increased hyperpigmentation while skin is injured or still healing

Ever since I stared cleaning my skin with antiseptic Before the treatment I don’t have breakouts any more.
She has also swiped the area post electrolysis with same, and it stung a little. I only used this the previous two treatments however , and I’m attaching the picture here

I have been using the ordinary vitamin c last three weeks ( the electrolysis place recommended I use vitamin c) and have used the ordinary lacric acid 10% at home peel twice in between treatments to remove pigmentation. It did seem to Brighten my skin a bit, but the practitioner asked me not use any exfoliants so I stopped. I stopped siting retinol about two weeks before treatment. I did not notice and peeling or redness post the peel on both occasions .

Post treatment for two days I use nothing but hydrocortisone cream on my face and an antibiotic gel for the first 24 hours. I use cosrx blemish cream , which has centella asiatica, zinc oxide and tea tree oil for three days post treatment. For the past few treatments, I have not stepped outside my house for 3 days post treatment. And I dont wear any makeup on any day. After three days I used cerave moisturiser ,aloe vera gel , and sunceeen nothing else! Only three weeks ago I started vitamin c and azelaic acid three days ago.
I have normal skin , non reactive and have previously not had any issues or sensitivity to any products or treatments.

Vitamin c is ascorbyl glycoside 12% not L ascorbic acid . Hydrocortisone cream is 0.1% otc

This is the entire log of my electrolysis treatments. Both first round and the recent ones. I have also purchased my own probes for the treatment. They require every client to purchase their own probes.

Did you always use sunscreen? Especially important for tinted skin.

those things can irritate the skin. Good for intact healthy skin. But must b avoided while skin and its underneath is injured or still healing

acid, (ascorbic acid = vitamin C), alkaline can increased hyperpigmentation while skin is injured or still healing

I Always use sunscreen. I currently use beauty of joseon rice+ probiotics.
This is me today, 13 days post treatment, no makeup or filter picture taken in natural light. The marks are a lil lighter but still a lot ! Sorry everyone for bombarding so many messages, just want to make sense of this , and electrolysis is not very popular in India so trying to find all the information I can . Thank you again for helping out :).

I haven’t used any other hair removal method since the starting of my electrolysis that is since 20th February 2023